Open and Laparoscopic Spleen-preserving, Splenic Vessel-preserving Distal Pancreatectomy: Indications and Outcomes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy has been described lately in order to reduce the risks associated with splenectomy. The aim of this study is to report a series of open and laparoscopic distal pancreatectomies with splenic vessel preservation.
From June 2001 to April 2007, 11 spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomies were performed, utilizing open and laparoscopic techniques. The main variables recorded were demographics, intra- and postoperative complications, and final pathology results.
All 11 spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomies were performed successfully. Laparoscopic resection was possible in seven patients. Postoperative morbidity consisted of one pancreatic fluid collection. The overall incidence of pancreatic leak was 18%. The final pathology revealed serous cystadenoma in 36% of the cases, neuroendocrine tumor in two cases, three mucinous cystadenomas, one carcinoid tumor, and one intrapancreatic spleen. With a median follow-up of 26 months, no splenic vein thrombosis was detected.
Open or laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with splenic vessel preservation is a feasible and safe procedure. In selected cases of cystic lesions and low grade neoplasms, distal pancreatectomy with splenic preservation is possible.
- Warshaw AL. Conservation of the spleen with distal pancreatectomy. Arch Surg 1988;123:550–553.
- Cooper MJ, Williamson RC. Conservative pancreatectomy. Br J Surg 1985;72:801–803. CrossRef
- Jovine E, Biolchini F, Cuzzocrea DE, Lazzari A, Martuzzi F, Selleri S, Lerro FM, Talarico F. Spleen-preserving total pancreatectomy with conservation of the spleen vessels: operative technique and possible indications. Pancreas 2004;28(2):207–210, Mar. CrossRef
- Kimura W, Inoue T, Futakawa N, Shinkai H, Han I, Muto T. Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with conservation of the splenic artery and vein. Surgery 1996;120(5):885–890, Nov. CrossRef
- Robey E, Mullen JT, Schwab CW. Blunt transection of the pancreas treated by distal pancreatectomy, splenic salvage and hyperalimentation. Ann Surg 1982;196:695–699. CrossRef
- Leak Bassi C, Dervenis C, Butturini G, Fingerhut A, Yeo C, Izbicki J, Neoptolemos J, Sarr M, Traverso W, Buchler M, International Study Group on Pancreatic Fistula Definition. Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (ISGPF) definition. Surgery 2005;138(1):8–13, Jul. CrossRef
- Leonard AS, Giebink GS, Baesl TJ, et al. The overwhelming postsplenectomy sepsis problem. World J Surg 1980;4:423–432. CrossRef
- Malangoni MA, Dillon LD, Klamer TW, et al. Factors influencing the risk of early and late serious infections in adults after splenectomy for trauma. Surgery 1984;96:775–782.
- Shoup M, Brennan MF, McWhite K, Leung DH, Klimstra D, Conlon KC. The value of splenic preservation with distal pancreatectomy. Arch Surg 2002;137(2):164–168, Feb. CrossRef
- Han HS, Min SK, Lee HK, Kim SW, Park YH. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy with preservation of the spleen and splenic vessels for benign pancreas neoplasm. Surg Endosc 2005;19(10):1367–1369, Oct. Epub 2005 Jul 28. CrossRef
- Richardson DQ, Scott-Conner CE. Distal pancreatectomy with and without splenectomy. A comparative study. Am Surg 1989;55(1):21–25, Jan.
- Snapper CM, Shen Y, Khan AQ, Colino J, Zelazowski P, Mond JJ, et al. Distinct types of T-cell help for the induction of a humoral immune response to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Trends Immunol 2001;22:308. CrossRef
- Haraguchi S, Day NK, Nelson RP Jr, Emmanuel P, Duplantier JE, Christodolov CS, et al. Interleukin 12 deficiency associated with recurrent infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998;95:13125. CrossRef
- Holdsworth RJ, Irving AD, Cuschieri A. Postsplenectomy sepsis and its mortality rate: actual versus perceived risk. Br J Surg 1991;78:1031–1038. CrossRef
- Lynch A, Kapila R. Overwhelming postsplenectomy infection. Infect Dis Clin North Am 1996;10:695–703. CrossRef
- Benoist S, Dugue L, Sauvanet A, Valverde A, Mauvais F, Paye F, Farges O, Belghiti J. Is there a role of preservation of the spleen in distal pancreatectomy? J Am Coll Surg 1999;188(3):255–260, Mar. CrossRef
- Abe N, Sugiyama M, Suzuki Y, Yamaguchi Y, Yanagida O, Masaki T, Mori T, Atomi Y. Preoperative endoscopic pancreatic stenting for prophylaxis of pancreatic fistula development after distal pancreatectomy. Am J Surg 2006;191(2):198–200, Feb. CrossRef
- Strasberg SM, Linehan DC, Clavien PA, Barkun JS. Proposal for definition and severity grading of pancreatic anastomosis failure and pancreatic occlusion failure. Surgery 2007;141(4):420–426. CrossRef
- DeOliveira ML, Winter JM, Schafer M, Cunningham SC, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ, Clavien PA. Assessment of complications after pancreatic surgery: a novel grading system applied to 633 patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg 2006;244(6):931–937, Dec; discussion 937–939. CrossRef
- Uranues S, Alimoglu O, Todoric B, Toprak N, Auer T, Rondon L, Sauseng G, Pfeifer J. Laparoscopic resection of the pancreatic tail with splenic preservation. Am J Surg 2006;192(2):257–261, Aug. CrossRef
- Khanna A, Koniaris LG, Nakeeb A, Schoeniger LO. Laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9(5):733–738, May–Jun. CrossRef
- Fernandez-Cruz L, Martinez I, Gilabert R, Cesar-Borges G, Astudillo E, Navarro S. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy combined with preservation of the spleen for cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8(4):493–501, May–Jun. CrossRef
- Pierce RA, Spitler JA, Hawkins WG, Strasberg SM, Linehan DC, Halpin VJ, Eagon JC, Brunt LM, Frisella MM, Matthews BD. Outcomes analysis of laparoscopic resection of pancreatic neoplasms. Surg Endosc 2007;21(4):579–586, Apr. Epub 2006 Dec 16. CrossRef
- Pryor A, Means JR, Pappas TN. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy with splenic preservation. Surg Endosc 2007;21(12):2326–2330. CrossRef
- Open and Laparoscopic Spleen-preserving, Splenic Vessel-preserving Distal Pancreatectomy: Indications and Outcomes
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 12, Issue 7 , pp 1202-1206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic resection
- Splenic preservation
- Industry Sectors