Portal Vein Resection in Surgery for Cancer of Biliary Tract and Pancreas: Special Reference to the Relationship Between the Surgical Outcome and Site of Primary Tumor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Early and late outcomes after superior mesenteric-portal vein resection (VR) combined with pancreaticoduodenectomy, major hepatectomy, or both for pancreaticobiliary carcinoma were retrospectively evaluated. VR is the most frequently used vascular procedure in this field, but an exact role of VR has not been compared according to the primary site of tumor.
Materials and Methods
Postoperative outcomes were compared between surgery with and without VR in each of the three disease-based groups: hilar cholangiocarcinoma and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma with hilar extension (HIC, 56), middle and distal cholangiocarcinoma and gallbladder carcinoma (DGC, 118), and pancreatic head adenocarcinoma (PHC, 77).
VR was performed in 19.6% of HIC, 8.5% of DGC, and 45.5% of PHC. In-hospital death was 7.1% (4 of 56) patients with VR (3 of DGC and 1 of PHC). Operations with VR in DGC showed a larger amount of blood loss and more increased ratio of R1operation than those with no VR. In HIC, DGC, and PHC, median survival time of patients with VR was 37, 6.8, and 20 months and that of patients without VR was 42.9, 28.6, and 20.3 months, respectively. VR did not affect survival either in HIC or in PHC; however, in DGC, VR was accompanied with dismal outcome compared with no VR (p = 0.001).
Aggressive surgery with VR can be justified both in HIC and in PHC but should not be recommended for DGC. Surgical outcomes of VR differed considerably, depending on the sites of the primary tumor.
- Nimura Y, Hayakawa N, Kamiya J, Maeda S, Kondo S, Yasui A, Shionoya S. Combined portal vein and liver resection for carcinoma of the biliary tract. Br J Surg. 1991;78:727–731. CrossRef
- Ebata T, Nagino M, Kamiya J, Uesaka K, Nagasaka T, Nimura Y. Hepatectomy with portal vein resection for hilar cholangiocarcinoma: audit of 52 consecutive cases. Ann Surg. 2003;238:720–727. CrossRef
- Neuhaus P, Jonas S, Bechstein WO, Lohmann R, Radke C, Kling N, Wex C, Lobeck H, Hintze R. Extended resections for hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 1999;230:808–818. CrossRef
- Neuhaus P, Jonas S, Settmacher U, Thelen A, Benckert C, Lopez-Hänninen E, Hintze RE. Surgical management of proximal bile duct cancer: extended right lobe resection increases resectability and radicality. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2003;388:194–200. CrossRef
- Kondo S, Hirano S, Ambo Y, Tanaka E, Okushiba S, Morikawa T, Katoh H. Forty consecutive resections of hilar cholangiocarcinoma with no postoperative mortality and no positive ductal margins: results of a prospective study. Ann Surg. 2004;240:95–101. CrossRef
- Hemming AW, Reed AI, Fujita S, Foley DP, Howard RJ. Surgical management of hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 2005;241:693–699. CrossRef
- Tashiro S, Uchino R, Hiraoka T, Tsuji T, Kawamoto S, Saitoh N, Yamasaki K, Miyauchi Y. Surgical indication and significance of portal vein resection in biliary and pancreatic cancer. Surgery. 1991;109:481–487.
- Shimada H, Endo I, Sugita M, Masunari H, Fujii Y, Tanaka K, Misuta K, Sekido H, Togo S. Hepatic resection combined with portal vein or hepatic artery reconstruction for advanced carcinoma of the hilar bile duct and gallbladder. World J Surg. 2003;27:1137–1142. CrossRef
- Kondo S, Nimura Y, Kamiya J, Nagino M, Kanai M, Uesaka K, Yuasa N, Sano T, Hayakawa N. Factors influencing postoperative hospital mortality and long-term survival after radical resection for stage IV gallbladder carcinoma. World J Surg. 2003;27:272–277. CrossRef
- Fortner JG, Kim DK, Cubilla A, Turnbull A, Pahnke LD, Shils ME. Regional pancreatectomy: en bloc pancreatic, portal vein and lymph node resection. Ann Surg. 1977;186:42–50. CrossRef
- Ishikawa O, Ohigashi H, Imaoka S, Furukawa H, Sasaki Y, Fujita M, Kuroda C, Iwanaga T. Preoperative indications for extended pancreatectomy for locally advanced pancreas cancer involving the portal vein. Ann Surg. 1992;215:231–236. CrossRef
- Nakao A, Harada A, Nonami T, Kaneko T, Inoue S, Takagi H. Clinical significance of portal invasion by pancreatic head carcinoma. Surgery. 1995;117:50–55. CrossRef
- Fuhrman GM, Leach SD, Staley CA, Cusack JC, Charnsangavej C, Cleary KR, El-Naggar AK, Fenoglio CJ, Lee JE, Evans DB. Rationale for en bloc vein resection in the treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma adherent to the superior mesenteric-portal vein confluence. Pancreatic Tumor Study Group. Ann Surg. 1996;223:154–162. CrossRef
- Carrere N, Sauvanet A, Goere D, Kianmanesh R, Vullierme MP, Couvelard A, Ruszniewski P, Belghiti J. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with mesentericoportal vein resection for adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. World J Surg. 2006;30:1526–1535. CrossRef
- van Geenen RC, ten Kate FJ, de Wit LT, van Gulik TM, Obertop H, Gouma DJ. Segmental resection and wedge excision of the portal or superior mesenteric vein during pancreatoduodenectomy. Surgery. 2001;129:158–163. CrossRef
- Hartel M, Niedergethmann M, Farag-Soliman M, Sturm JW, Richter A, Trede M, Post S. Benefit of venous resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. Eur J Surg. 2002;168:707–712. CrossRef
- Henne-Bruns D, Vogel I, Luttges J, Kloppel G, Kremer B. Surgery for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head: staging, complications, and survival after regional versus extended lymphadenectomy. World J Surg. 2000;24:595–601. CrossRef
- Tseng JF, Raut CP, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Gomez HF, Sun CC, Crane CH, Wolff RA, Evans DB. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection: margin status and survival duration. J Gastrointest Surg. 2004;8:935–949. CrossRef
- Capussotti L, Massucco P, Ribero D, Viganò L, Muratore A, Calgaro M. Extended lymphadenectomy and vein resection for pancreatic head cancer: outcomes and implications for therapy. Arch Surg. 2003;138:1316–1322. CrossRef
- Nakagohri T, Kinoshita T, Konishi M, Inoue K, Takahashi S. Survival benefits of portal vein resection for pancreatic cancer. Am J Surg. 2003;186:149–153. CrossRef
- Sasson AR, Hoffman JP, Ross EA, Kagan SA, Pingpank JF, Eisenberg BL. En bloc resection for locally advanced cancer of the pancreas: is it worthwhile? J Gastrointest Surg. 2002;6:147–157. CrossRef
- Bachellier P, Nakano H, Oussoultzoglou PD, Weber JC, Boudjema K, Wolf PD, Jaeck D. Is pancreaticoduodenectomy with mesentericoportal venous resection safe and worthwhile? Am J Surg. 2001;182:120–129. CrossRef
- Shibata K, Matsumoto T, Yada K, Sasaki A, Ohta M, Kitano S. Factors predicting recurrence after resection of pancreatic ductal carcinoma. Pancreas. 2005;31:69–73. CrossRef
- Leach SD, Lee JE, Charnsangavej C, Cleary KR, Lowy AM, Fenoglio CJ, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Survival following pancreaticoduodenectomy with resection of the superior mesenteric-portal vein confluence for adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. Br J Surg. 1998;85:611–617. CrossRef
- Riediger H, Makowiec F, Fischer E, Adam U, Hopt UT. Postoperative morbidity and long-term survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy with superior mesenterico-portal vein resection. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10:1106–1115. CrossRef
- Fukuda S, Oussoultzoglou E, Bachellier P, Rosso E, Nakano H, Audet M, Jaeck D. Significance of the depth of portal vein wall invasion after curative resection for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Arch Surg. 2007;142:172–179. CrossRef
- Takahashi S, Ogata Y, Tsuzuki T. Combined resection of the pancreas and portal vein for pancreatic cancer. Br J Surg. 1994;81:1190–1193. CrossRef
- Shimada K, Sano T, Sakamoto Y, Kosuge T. Clinical implications of combined portal vein resection as a palliative procedure in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic head carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:1569–1578. CrossRef
- Makowiec F, Post S, Saeger HD, Senninger N, Becker H, Betzler M, Buhr HJ, Hopt UT. Current practice patterns in pancreatic surgery: results of a multi-institutional analysis of seven large surgical departments in Germany with 1454 pancreatic head resections, 1999 to 2004 (German Advanced Surgical Treatment study group). J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:1080–1086. CrossRef
- Howard TJ, Villanustre N, Moore SA, DeWitt J, LeBlanc J, Maglinte D, McHenry L. Efficacy of venous reconstruction in patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. J Gastrointest Surg. 2003;7:1089–1095. CrossRef
- Jarnagin WR, Fong Y, DeMatteo RP, Gonen M, Burke EC, Bodniewicz BSJ, Youssef BAM, Klimstra D, Blumgart LH. Staging, resectability, and outcome in 225 patients with hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 2001;234:507–517. CrossRef
- Launois B, Stasik C, Bardaxoglou E, Meunier B, Campion JP, Greco L, Sutherland F. Who benefits from portal vein resection during pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer? World J Surg. 1999;23:926–929. CrossRef
- Kawasaki S, Imamura H, Kobayashi A, Noike T, Miwa S, Miyagawa S. Results of surgical resection for patients with hilar bile duct cancer: application of extended hepatectomy after biliary drainage and hemihepatic portal vein embolization. Ann Surg. 2003;238:84–92. CrossRef
- Seyama Y, Kubota K, Sano K, Takayama T, Kosuge T, Makuuchi M. Long-term outcome of extended hemihepatectomy for hilar bile duct cancer with no mortality and high survival rate. Ann Surg. 2003;238:73–83. CrossRef
- Roder JD, Stein HJ, Siewert JR. Carcinoma of the periampullary region: who benefits from portal vein resection? Am J Surg. 1996;171:170–174. CrossRef
- Lang H, Sotiropoulos GC, Fruhauf NR, Domland M, Paul A, Kind EM, Malago M, Broelsch CE. Extended hepatectomy for intrahepatic cholangiocellular carcinoma (ICC): when is it worthwhile? Single center experience with 27 resections in 50 patients over a 5-year period. Ann Surg. 2005;241:134–143.
- Misuta K, Shimada H, Miura Y, Kunihiro O, Kubota T, Endo I, Sekido H, Togo S. The role of splenomesenteric vein anastomosis after division of the splenic vein in pancreatoduodenectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:245–253. CrossRef
- Imaizumi T, Hanyu F, Harada N, Hatori T, Fukuda A. Extended radical Whipple resection for cancer of the pancreatic head: operative procedure and results. Dig Surg. 1998;15:299–307. CrossRef
- Klempnauer J, Ridder GJ, Bektas H, Hatori T, Fukuda A. Extended resections of ductal pancreatic cancer—impact on operative risk and prognosis. Oncology. 1996;53:47–53. CrossRef
- Imamura M, Doi R, Imaizumi T, Funakoshi A, Wakasugi H, Sunamura M, Ogata Y, Hishinuma S, Asano T, Aikou T, Hosotani R, Maetani S. A randomized multicenter trial comparing resection and radiochemotherapy for resectable locally invasive pancreatic cancer. Surgery. 2004;136:1003–1011. CrossRef
- Miyazaki M, Ito H, Nakagawa K, Ambiru S, Shimizu H, Shimizu Y, Kato A, Nakamura S, Omoto H, Nakajima N, Kimura F, Suwa T. Aggressive surgical approaches to hilar cholangiocarcinoma: hepatic or local resection? Surgery. 1998;123:131–136.
- Imamura H, Shimada R, Kubota M, Matsuyama Y, Nakayama A, Miyagawa S, Makuuchi M, Kawasaki S. Preoperative portal vein embolization: an audit of 84 patients. Hepatology. 1999;29:1099–1105. CrossRef
- Nagino M, Kamiya J, Nishio H, Ebata T, Arai T, Nimura Y. Two hundred forty consecutive portal vein embolizations before extended hepatectomy for biliary cancer: surgical outcome and long-term follow-up. Ann Surg. 2006;243:364–372. CrossRef
- Kondo S, Katoh H, Hirano S, Ebata T, Arai T, Nimura Y. Portal vein resection and reconstruction prior to hepatic dissection during right hepatectomy and caudate lobectomy for hepatobiliary cancer. Br J Surg. 2003;90:694–697. CrossRef
- Sakaguchi S, Nakamura S. Surgery of the portal vein in resection of cancer of the hepatic hilus. Surgery. 1986;99:344–349.
- Sakamoto Y, Kosuge T, Shimada K, Sano T, Ojima H, Yamamoto J, Yamasaki S, Takayama T, Makuuchi M. Prognostic factors of surgical resection in middle and distal bile duct cancer: an analysis of 55 patients concerning the significance of ductal and radial margins. Surgery. 2005;137:396–402. CrossRef
- Sasaki R, Takahashi M, Funato O, Nitta H, Murakami M, Kawamura H, Suto T, Kanno S, Saito K. Prognostic significance of lymph node involvement in middle and distal bile duct cancer. Surgery. 2001;129:677–683. CrossRef
- Kayahara M, Nagakawa T, Ohta T, Kitagawa H, Tajima H, Miwa K. Role of nodal involvement and the periductal soft-tissue margin in middle and distal bile duct cancer. Ann Surg. 1999;229:76–83. CrossRef
- Yoshida T, Matsumoto T, Sasaki A, Morii Y, Aramaki M, Kitano S. Prognostic factors after pancreatoduodenectomy with extended lymphadenectomy for distal bile duct cancer. Arch Surg. 2002;137:69–73. CrossRef
- Tsukada K, Kurosaki I, Uchida K, Shirai Y, Oohashi Y, Yokoyama N, Watanabe H, Hatakeyama K. Lymph node spread from carcinoma of the gallbladder. Cancer. 1997;80:661–667. CrossRef
- Kurosaki I, Tsukada K, Hatakeyama K, Muto T. The mode of lymphatic spread in carcinoma of the bile duct. Am J Surg. 1996;172:239–243. CrossRef
- Kelley ST, Bloomston M, Serafini F, Carey LC, Karl RC, Zervos E, Goldin S, Rosemurgy P, Rosemurgy AS. Cholangiocarcinoma: advocate an aggressive operative approach with adjuvant chemotherapy. Am Surg. 2004;70:743–748.
- Hong SM, Kim MJ, Cho H, Pi DY, Jo D, Yu E, Ro JY. Superficial vs. deep pancreatic parenchymal invasion in the extrahepatic bile duct carcinomas: a significant prognostic factor. Mod Pathol. 2005;18:969–975. CrossRef
- Hasebe T, Konishi M, Iwasaki M, Endoh Y, Nakagohri T, Takahashi S, Kinoshita T, Ochiai A. Histological characteristics of tumor cells and stromal cells in vessels and lymph nodes are important prognostic parameters of extrahepatic bile duct carcinoma: a prospective study. Hum Pathol. 2005;36:655–664. CrossRef
- Portal Vein Resection in Surgery for Cancer of Biliary Tract and Pancreas: Special Reference to the Relationship Between the Surgical Outcome and Site of Primary Tumor
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 907-918
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Portal vein resection
- Biliary tract cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Industry Sectors