The Mirizzi Syndrome: Multidisciplinary Management Promotes Optimal Outcomes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Mirizzi syndrome (MS) is a rare cause of obstructive jaundice produced by the impaction of a gallstone either in the cystic duct or in the gallbladder, resulting in stenosis of the extrahepatic bile duct and, in severe cases, direct cholecystocholedochal fistula formation. Sixteen patients were treated for MS in our center over the 12-year period 1993–2005 for a prevalence of 0.35% of all cholecystectomies performed. One patient was diagnosed only at the time of cholecystectomy. The other 15 patients presented with laboratory and imaging findings consistent with choledocholithiasis and underwent preoperative endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, which established the diagnosis in all but one patient. All patients underwent cholecystectomy. An initial laparoscopic approach was attempted in 14 patients, of whom 11 were converted to open procedures. MS was recognized operatively in 15 patients with definitive stone extraction and relief of obstruction in 13 patients. T-tubes were placed in 10 patients and 1 patient required a choledochoduodenostomy. Two patients required postoperative laser lithotripsy via a T-tube tract to clear their stones; and in another patient, MS was detected and treated via postoperative endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). MS remains a serious diagnostic and therapeutic challenge for endoscopists and biliary surgeons.
- Mirizzi P. Syndrome del conducto hepatico. J Int Chir 1948;8:731–737.
- Pemberton M, Wells AD. The Mirizzi syndrome. Postgrad Med J 1997;73:487–490. CrossRef
- Shah O, Dar M, Wani M, Wani N. Management of Mirizzi syndrome: a new surgical approach. ANZ J Surg 2001;71:423–427. CrossRef
- Csendes A, Diaz J, Burdiles P, Maluenda F, Nava O. Mirizzi syndrome and cholecystobiliary fistula: a unifying classification. Br J Surg 1989;76:1139–1143. CrossRef
- Langenbuch C. Ein fall von exstirpation der gallenblase wegen chronischer cholelithiasis. Klin Wochenschr 1882;19:725–727.
- Courvoisier L. Casuistisch-statistische Beitrage zur Pathologie und Chirurgie der Gallenwege. Leipzig: F. C. W. Vogel, 1890.
- Mirizzi P. Cholangiography using lipiodol during operations on biliary tract. Bol Trab Soc Cir B Aires 1932;16:1133–1161.
- Becker C, Hassler H, Terrier F. Preoperative diagnosis of the Mirizzi syndrome: limitations of sonography and computed tomography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1984;143:591–596.
- Pyo NK, Outwater EK, Mitchell DG. Mirizzi syndrome: evaluation by MR imaging. Am J Gastroenterol 1999;94:2546–2550. CrossRef
- Wehrmann T, Riphaus A, Marchenko K, et al. Intraductal ultrasonography in the diagnosis of Mirizzi syndrome. Endoscopy 2006;38:717–722. CrossRef
- Haritopolous K, Labruzzo C, Tayar A, Karani J, Hakim N. Mirizzi syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Int Surg 2002;87:65–68.
- Seitz U, Bapaye A, Bohnacker S, Navarrete C, Maydeo A, Soehendra N. Advances in therapeutic endoscopic treatment of common bile duct stones. World J Surg 1998;22:1133–1144. CrossRef
- Tsuyuguchi T, Saisho H, Ishihara T, Yamaguchi T, Onuma E. Long-term follow-up after treatment of Mirizzi syndrome by peroral cholangioscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2000;52:639–644. CrossRef
- McSherry CK, Ferstenberg H, Virshup M. The Mirizzi syndrome: suggested classification and surgical therapy. Surg Gastroenterol 1982;1:219–225.
- Baer H, Matthews J, Schweizer W, Gertsch P, Blumgart L. Management of the Mirizzi syndrome and the surgical implications of cholecystcholedochal fistula. Br J Surg 1990;77:743–745. CrossRef
- Redaelli C, Buchler M, Schilling M, Krahenbuhl L, Ruchti C, Blumgart L, Baer H. High coincidence of Mirizzi syndrome and gallbladder carcinoma. Surgery 1997;121:58–63. CrossRef
- Binnie N, Nixon S, Palmer K. Mirizzi syndrome managed by endoscopic stenting and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Br J Surg 1992;79:647. CrossRef
- Rohatgi A, Singh KK. Mirizzi syndrome: laparoscopic management by subtotal cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2006;20:1477–1481. CrossRef
- Chowbey PK, Sharma A, Mann V, Khullar R, Baijal M, Vashistha A. The management of Mirizzi syndrome in the laparoscopic era. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2000;10:11–14. CrossRef
- Yeh CN, Jan YY, Chen MF. Laparoscopic treatment for Mirizzi syndrome. Surg Endosc 2003;17:1573–1578. CrossRef
- Schafer M, Schneiter R, Krahenbuhl L. Incidence and management of Mirizzi syndrome during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2003;17:1186–1190. CrossRef
- Toscano R, Taylor P, Peters J, Edgin R. Mirizzi syndrome. Am Surg 1994;60:889–891.
- Dewar G, Chung S, Li A. Operative strategy in Mirizzi syndrome. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1990;171:157–159.
- Strugnell N, Sali A. Choledochoplasty for cholecystocholedochal fistula (Mirizzi syndrome type II): a case report and literature review. ANZ J Surg 1995;65:285–288. CrossRef
- Yip A, Chow W, Chan J, Lam K. Mirizzi syndrome with cholecystocholedochal fistula. Preoperative diagnosis and management. Surgery 1992;111:335–338.
- The Mirizzi Syndrome: Multidisciplinary Management Promotes Optimal Outcomes
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 1022-1028
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Endoscopic retrograde
- Mirizzi syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
- 2. Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA