An Obstructing Large Schwannoma in the Esophagus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Esophageal schwannoma is very rare neoplasm, which is difficult to diagnose by endoscopy or radiologic evaluations. The diagnosis is not confirmed until immunohistochemical tests are performed after a surgeon has resected the lesion. We present the case of a 65-year-old male patient with an esophageal schwannoma having a palpable neck mass and severe dysphagia. The postoperative pathological findings revealed a strong immunoactivity to S-100 protein but negative activity to smooth muscle actin and C-kit. These results support the characteristics of schwannoma in the tumor.
- Ranson HK, Kay EB. Abdominal neoplasm of neurogenic origin. Ann Surg 1940;112:700–746. CrossRef
- Miettinen M, Lasota J. Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs): definition, occurrence, pathology, differential diagnosis and molecular genetics. Pol J Pathol 2003;54:3–24.
- Chen HC, Huang HJ, Wu CY, Lin TS, Fang HY. Esophageal schwannoma with tracheal compression. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 54:555–558. CrossRef
- Vinhais SN, Cabrera RA, Nobre-Leitao C, Cunha TM. Schwannoma of the esophagus: computed tomography and endosonographic findings of a special type of schwannoma. Acta Radiol 2004;45:718–720. CrossRef
- Rösch T. Endoscopic ultrasonography in upper gastrointestinal submucosal tumors: a literature review. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 1995;5:609–614.
- Daimaru Y, Kido H, Hashimoto H, Enjoji M. Benign schwannoma of the gastrointestinal tract: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study. Hum Pathol 1988;19: 257–264. CrossRef
- Kobayashi N, Kikuchi S, Shimao H, Hiki Y, Kakita A, Mitomi H, Ohbu M. Benign esophageal schwannoma, report of a case. Surg Today 2000; 30:526–529. CrossRef
- Prevot S, Bienvenu L, Vaillant JC, de Saint-Maur PP. Benign schwannoma of the digestive tract: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of five cases, including a case of esophageal tumor. Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23:431–436. CrossRef
- Melvin, WS, Wilkinson MG. Clinical and pathologic considerations. Am Surg 1993;59:293–296.
- Manger T, Pross M, Haeckel C, Lippert H. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the esophagus. Dig Surg 2000;17:627–631. CrossRef
- An Obstructing Large Schwannoma in the Esophagus
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 761-763
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- S-100 protein
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon-dong, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, 120-752, South Korea
- 2. Department of Pathology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea