Pancreatic Cystic Neuroendocrine Tumors: Preoperative Diagnosis with Endoscopic Ultrasound and Fine-Needle Immunocytology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pancreatic cystic neuroendocrine tumors (CNETs) are rare premalignant conditions. Computed tomography (CT) occasionally demonstrates the hypervascular border characteristic of NETs. Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) with fine-needle aspiration and immunocytology may be a more consistent means to establish the diagnosis, but no data on the role of EUS are available. This report represents the largest series of CNETs treated to date, documents the role of EUS in preoperative diagnosis, and describes current management.
Retrospective review of our experience with CNETs treated at an academic center between 1999 and 2006.
Thirteen patients with CNETs were identified. One had symptoms consistent with a functional tumor; the others were nonfunctional. Twelve were detected by CT; only three had peripheral hypervascularity. Nine were studied with preoperative EUS/immunocytology; each of these demonstrated strong staining for chromogranin and synaptophysin. All were resected: four by pancreaticoduodenectomy, one by total pancreatectomy, and one by enucleation. Perioperative morbidity occurred in 39%. Perioperative mortality was 0%. Average follow-up was 3.3 + 0.5 years. One patient had late hepatic recurrence and ultimately died of disease. Two developed recurrent NET in the context of MEN I and required additional surgery. Twelve are alive with no evidence of disease.
EUS-guided immunocytology with staining for neuroendocrine markers is an accurate method to establish the diagnosis of CNET preoperatively. Short- and long-term outcomes after resection are excellent.
- Thompson GB, Young WF. Andrenal incidentaloma. Curr Opin Oncol 2003;15:84–90. CrossRef
- Liu CL, Fan ST, Lo CM, Chan SC, Tso WK, Ng IO, Wong J. Hepatic resection for incidetaloma. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8:785–793. CrossRef
- Winter JM, Cameron JL, Lillemoe KD, Campbell KA, Chang D, Riall TS, Coleman J, Sauter PK, Canto M, Hruban RH, Schulick RD, Choti MA, Yeo CJ. Periampullary and pancreatic incidentaloma: A single institution’s experience with an increasingly common diagnosis. Ann Surg 2006;243:673–683. CrossRef
- Spinelli KS, Fromwiller TE, Daniel RA, Kiely JM, Nakeeb A, Komorowski RA, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: Observe or operate. Ann Surg 2004;239:651–657. CrossRef
- Ahrendt SA, Komorowski RA, Demeure MJ, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: Is preoperative diagnosis possible? J Gastrointest Surg 2002;6:66–74. CrossRef
- Despande V, Lauwers G. Cystic pancreatic endocrine tumor: A variant commonly confused with cystic adenocarcinoma. Cancer 2007;111:47–53. CrossRef
- Ligneau B, Lombard-Bohas C, Partensky C, Valette PJ, Calender A, Dumortier J, Gouysse G, Boulez J, Napoleon B, Berger F, Chayvialle JA, Scoazec JY. Cystic endocrine tumors of the pancreas: Clinical, radiologic and histopathologic features in 13 cases. Am J Pathol 2001;25:752–760. CrossRef
- Frossard JL, Amouyal P, Amouyal G, Palazzo L, Amaris J, Soldan M, Giostra E, Spahr L, Hadengue A, Fabre M. Performance of endosonography-guided fine needle aspiration and biopsy in the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:1516–1524. CrossRef
- Centeno BA, Warshaw AL, Mayo-Smith W, Souther JF, Lewandrowski K. Cytologic diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions: a prospective study of 28 percutaneous aspirates. Acta Cytol 2000;41:1972–1980.
- Centen BA, Lewandrowski KB, Warshaw AL, Compton CC, Southern JF. Cyst fluid cytologic analysis in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions. Am J Clin Pathol 1994;101:483–487.
- Kazanjian KK, Reber HA, Hines OJ. Resection of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: Results of 70 cases. Arch Surg 2006;141:765–770. CrossRef
- Phan GQ, Yeo CJ, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Cameron JL. Surgical experience with pancreatic and peripancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: Review of 125 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 1998;2:473–482. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Pitt, HA, Hruban RH, Boitnott JK, Coleman J, Cameron JL. Spectrum of cystic tumors of the pancreas. Am J Surg 1992;163:117–124. CrossRef
- Sohn TA, Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Koniaris L, Kaushal S, Abrams RA, Sauter PK, Coleman J, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD. Resected adenocarcinoma of the pancreas—616 patients: Results, outcomes and prognostic indicators. J Gastrointest Surg 2000;4:567–579. CrossRef
- Trede M, Schwall G. The complications of pancreatectomy. Ann Surg 1988;207:39–47. CrossRef
- Pancreatic Cystic Neuroendocrine Tumors: Preoperative Diagnosis with Endoscopic Ultrasound and Fine-Needle Immunocytology
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 450-456
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic cyst
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, IU Medical Center Cancer Pavilion RT 130D, 535 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN, 46202, USA
- 2. Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
- 3. Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA