Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: Enucleate or resect?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Asymptomatic cystic pancreatic neoplasms are being detected by abdominal imaging with increasing frequency. Enucleation of small cystic neoplasms can be performed without recurrence but has been associated with a higher incidence of pancreatic fistula. Thus the procedure has been modified to include intraoperative ultrasound imaging and closure of the pancreatic defect. This analysis was performed to determine whether these modifications have improved operative outcome. Thirty patients with mucinous cystic neoplasms (n = 16), serous cystadenomas (n = 10), and cystic islet cell tumors (n = 4) were studied. Enucleation was performed in 11 patients (7 with mucinous cystic neoplasms, 2 with serous cystadenomas and 2 with islet cell tumors), whereas 19 underwent resection of cystic tumors (pancreatoduodenectomy in 8 and distal pancreatectomy in 11). The mean groups did not differ with regard to age (57 years), gender (73% female), presentation (63% incidental), or site (43% head, neck, or uncinate). Patients undergoing enucleation had smaller tumors (2.2 vs. 4.7 cm, P < 0.01) that were less likely to be in the tail (9% vs. 42%). Operative time was significantly shorter in the enucleation group (199 vs. 298 minutes, P < 0.01). Blood loss also was significantly reduced in the enucleation group (114 vs. 450 ml, P < 0.001). Pancreatic fistula rates (27% vs. 26%) and length of hospital stay (12.6 vs. 15.7 days) were similar in the two groupsz. Enucleation of benign cystic pancreatic neoplasms reduces operative time and blood loss without increasing postoperative complications or length of stay. Therefore enucleation should be the standard operation for small benign cystic neoplasms in the uncinate, head, neck, and body of the pancreas.
- Megibow AJ, Lombardo FP, Guarise A, Carbognin G, Scholes J, Macari NM, Balthazar EJ, Procacci C. Cystic masses: Cross-sectional imaging observations and serial follow-up. Abdom Imaging 2001;26:640–647. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Pitt HA, Hruban RH, Boitnott JK, Coleman J, Cameron JL. Spectrum of cystic tumors of the pancreas. Am J Surg 1992;163:117–124. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Moesinger R, Yeo CJ, Poulose B, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, Pitt HA. Cystadenomas of the pancreas: Is enucleation an adequate operation? Ann Surg 1998;227:896–903. CrossRef
- Moesinger RC, Talamini MA, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, Pitt HA. Large cystic pancreatic neoplasms: Pathology, resect-ability, and outcome. Ann Surg Oncol 1999;6:682–691. CrossRef
- Rivera JA, Fernandez-del Castillo C, Pins M. Pancreatic mu-cinous ductal ectasia and intraductal papillary neoplasms: A single malignant clinicopathologic entity. Ann Surg 1997;225:637–644. CrossRef
- Sohn TA, Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Lacobuzio-Donahue CA, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD. Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: An increasingly recognized clinicopathologic entity. Ann Surg 2001;234:313–322. CrossRef
- Chari ST, Yadav D, Smyrk TC, DiMagno EP, Miller LJ, Raimondo M, Clain JE, Norton IA, Pearson RK, Petersen BT, Wiersema MJ, Farnell MB, Sarr MG. Study of recurrence after surgical resection of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas. Gastroenterology 2002;123:1500–1507. CrossRef
- Ahrendt SA, Komoroski RA, Demure MJ, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: Is preopera-tive diagnosis possible? J Gastrointest Surg 2002;6:66–74. CrossRef
- Lillemoe KD, Kaushal S, Cameron JL, Sohn TA, Pitt HA, Yeo CJ. Distal pancreatectomy: Indications and outcomes in 235 patients. Ann Surg 1999;229:693–700. CrossRef
- Gagner M, Pomp A. Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: Is it worthwhile? J Gastrointest Surg 1997;1:20–26. CrossRef
- Beger HG, Bittner R, Scholzel E, Buchler M, Block S, Malfertheiner P. Cephalic pancreatectomy with conservation of the duodenum in chronic pancreatitis with inflammatory lesions of the head of pancreas: Results of 15 years’ experience. Chirurgie 1989;115:193–201.
- Frey CF, Amikura K. Local resection of the head of the pancreas combined with longitudinal pancreaticojejunostomy in the management of patients with chronic pancreatitis. Ann Surg 1994;220:492–507. CrossRef
- Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Maher MM, Sauter PK, Zahurak ML, Talamini MA, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA. A prospective randomized trial of pancreaticogastrostomy versus pancreaticojeju-nostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg 1995;222:580–592. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Moesinger RC, Pitt HA, Sohn TA, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD, Yeo CJ. Cameron JL Adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: A 28-year experience. Ann Surg 1997; 225:590–600. CrossRef
- Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Sohn TA, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Talamini MA, Hruban RH, Ord SE, Sauter PK, Coleman J, Zahurak ML, Grochow LB, Abrams RA. Six hundred fifty consecutive pancreaticoduodenectomies in the 1990s: Pathology, complications, and outcomes. Ann Surg 1997;226:248–260. CrossRef
- Sohn TA, Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Pitt HA, Lillemoe KD. Do preoperative biliary stents increase postpancreatic-oduodenectomy complications? J Gastrointest Surg 2000; 4:258–268. CrossRef
- Warshaw AL, Comptom CC, Lewandrowski K, Cardenosa G, Mueller PR. Cystic tumors of the pancreas: New clinical, radiologic, and pathologic observations in 67 patients. Ann Surg 1990;212:432–443. CrossRef
- Delore R, ThomasJH, ForsterJ, Hemreck AS. Characteristics of cystic neoplasms of the pancreas and results of aggressive surgical treatment. Am J Surg 1992;164:437–441. CrossRef
- Alles AJ, Warshaw AL, Southern JF, Compton CC, Lewandrowski KB. Expression of C! 7204 (TAG-72) in the fluid contents of pancreatic cysts: A new marker to distinguish malignant pancreatic cystic tumors from benign neoplasm and pseudocysts. Ann Surg 1994;219:131–134. CrossRef
- Walsh RM, Henderson JM, Vogt DP, Baker ME, O’Malley CM Jr, Herts B, Zuccaro G Jr, Vargo JJ, Dumot JA, Conwell DL, Biscotti CV, Brown N. Prospective preoperative determination of mucinous pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Surgery 2002; 132:628–634. CrossRef
- Sand JA, Hyoty MK, Mattila J, Dagorn JC, Nordback IH. Clinical assessment compared with cyst fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of cystic lesions in the pancreas. Surgery 1996;119:275–280. CrossRef
- Pyke CM, van HeerdenJA, Colby TV, SarrMG, Weaver AL. The spectrum of serous cystadenoma of the pancreas: Clinical, pathologic and surgical aspects. Ann Surg 1992;215:132–139. CrossRef
- Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: Enucleate or resect?
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 7, Issue 7 , pp 890-897
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- islet cell tumor
- pancreatic cyst
- Industry Sectors