Radiological findings as favorable predictors of pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty: a retrospective study of 156 cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We evaluated the relationships between pre-procedural radiological findings and short-term pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP).
Materials and methods
A retrospective review of pre-procedural radiological images of 156 patients with painful osteoporotic compression fracture was performed. Pain was measured with a visual analogue scale (VAS). Complete pain relief was defined as a VAS pain score of 0 or 1 at 3 months after PVP. Statistical analyses were conducted to evaluate the relationship between the pre-procedural imaging factors and pain relief using Pearson’s chi-squared test. Multivariate logistic regression analysis was also performed.
Complete pain relief was obtained in 45.5% of patients. An intravertebral cleft larger than half the height of the fractured vertebral body (FVB) was a significant key factor in the complete pain relief group after 3 months. Further, ≥40% of the spinal canal occupied by bony fragments of the FVB was related to incomplete pain relief.
A large intravertebral cleft was a favorable short-term outcome predictor in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after PVP, while severe protrusion of the FVB causing lumbar spinal canal stenosis was not a favorable short-term outcome predictor of complete pain relief.
- Jensen, ME, Evans, AJ, Mathis, JM, Kallmes, DF, Cloft, HJ, Dion, JE (1997) Percutaneous polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral body compression fractures: technical aspects. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 18: pp. 1897-1904
- Martin JB, Jean B, Sugiu K, San Millan Ruiz D, Piotin M, Murphy K, Rufenacht B, Muster M, Rufenacht DA. Vertebroplasty: clinical experience and follow-up results. Bone. 1999;25:11S–5S.
- Grados, F, Depriester, C, Cayrolle, G, Hardy, N, Deramond, H, Fardellone, P (2000) Long-term observations of vertebral osteoporotic fractures treated by percutaneous vertebroplasty. Rheumatology (Oxford) 39: pp. 1410-1414 CrossRef
- Barr, JD, Barr, MS, Lemley, TJ, McCann, RM (2000) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pain relief and spinal stabilization. Spine 25: pp. 923-928 CrossRef
- Amar, AP, Larsen, DW, Esnaashari, N, Albuquerque, FC, Lavine, SD, Teitelbaum, GP (2001) Percutaneous transpedicular polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty for the treatment of spinal compression fractures. Neurosurgery 49: pp. 1105-1115
- Evans, AJ, Jensen, ME, Kip, KE, DeNardo, AJ, Lawler, GJ, Negin, GA, Remley, KB, Boutin, SM, Dunnagan, SA (2003) Vertebral compression fractures: pain reduction and improvement in functional mobility after percutaneous polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty retrospective report of 245 cases. Radiology 226: pp. 366-372 CrossRef
- Hodler, J, Peck, D, Gilula, LA (2003) Midterm outcome after vertebroplasty: predictive value of technical and patient-related factors. Radiology 227: pp. 662-668 CrossRef
- Peh, WC, Gilula, LA, Peck, DD (2002) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for severe osteoporotic vertebral body compression fractures. Radiology 223: pp. 121-126 CrossRef
- Cyteval, C, Sarrabere, MP, Roux, JO, Thomas, E, Jorgensen, C, Blotman, F, Sany, J, Taourel, P (1999) Acute osteoporotic vertebral collapse: open study on percutaneous injection of acrylic surgical cement in 20 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 173: pp. 1685-1690
- Cortet, B, Cotton, A, Boutry, N, Flipo, RM, Duquesnoy, B, Chastanet, P, Delcambre, B (1999) Percutaneous vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: an open prospective study. J Rheumatol 26: pp. 2222-2228
- Heini, PF, Walchli, B, Berlemann, U (2000) Percutaneous transpedicular vertebroplasty with PMMA: operative technique and early results. A prospective study for the treatment of osteoporotic compression fractures. Eur Spine J 9: pp. 445-450 CrossRef
- Zoarski, GH, Snow, P, Olan, WJ, Stallmeyer, MJ, Dick, BW, Hebel, JR, Deyne, M (2002) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic compression fractures: quantitative prospective evaluation of long-term outcomes. J Vasc Interv Radiol 13: pp. 139-148 CrossRef
- McGraw, JK, Lippert, JA, Minkus, KD, Rami, PM, Davis, TM, Budzik, RF (2002) Prospective evaluation of pain relief in 100 patients undergoing percutaneous vertebroplasty: results and follow-up. J Vasc Interv Radiol 13: pp. 883-886 CrossRef
- Diamond, TH, Champion, B, Clark, WA (2003) Management of acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a nonrandomized trial comparing percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapy. Am J Med 114: pp. 257-265 CrossRef
- Heini, PF, Berlemann, U, Kaufmann, M, Lippuner, K, Fankhauser, C, Landuyt, P (2001) Augmentation of mechanical properties in osteoporotic vertebral bones: a biomechanical investigation of vertebroplasty efficacy with different bone cements. Eur Spine J 10: pp. 164-171 CrossRef
- Kaufmann, TJ, Jensen, ME, Schweickert, PA, Marx, WF, Kallmes, DF (2001) Age of fracture and clinical outcomes of percutaneous vertebroplasty. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22: pp. 1860-1863
- O’Brien, J, Brennan, D, Taylor, D, O’Byrne, J, Eustace, S (2006) Percutaneous vertebroplasty—initial clinical experience in osteoporotic and myelomatous compression fractures. J Med Sci 175: pp. 50-53
- Ryu, KS, Park, CK, Kim, MC, Kang, JK (2002) Dose-dependent epidural leakage of polymethylmethacrylate after percutaneous vertebroplasty in patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. J Neurosurg 96: pp. 56-61
- Uemura, A, Kobayashi, N, Numaguchi, Y, Fuwa, S, Saida, Y (2007) Preprocedural MR imaging for percutaneous vertebroplasty: special interest in contrast enhancement. Radiat Med 25: pp. 325-328 CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lee JW, Kim KJ, Chung SK, Kim HJ, Park JM, Kang HS. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for intravertebral cleft: analysis of therapeutic effects and outcome predictors. Skeletal Radiol. 2010 (Epub ahead of print).
- Lane, JI, Maus, TP, Wald, JT, Thielen, KR, Bobra, S, Luetmer, PH (2002) Intravertebral clefts opacified during vertebroplasty: pathogenesis, technical implications, and prognostic significance. AJNR 23: pp. 1642-1646
- Wiggins, MC, Sehizadeh, M, Pilgram, TK, Gilula, LA (2007) Importance of intravertebral fracture clefts in vertebroplasty outcome. AJR 188: pp. 634-640 CrossRef
- Kamano H, Hiwatashi A, Kobayashi N, Fuwa S, Takahashi O, Yoshiura T, Saida Y, Honda H, Numaguchi Y. New vertebral compression fractures following prophylactic vertebroplasty in osteoporotic patients. Presented at annual meeting of 48th ASNR, May 15–20, 2010.
- Kobayashi, N, Numaguchi, Y, Fuwa, S, Uemura, A, Matsusako, M, Okajima, Y, Ishiyama, M, Takahashi, O (2009) Prophylactic vertebroplasty: cement injection into non-fractured vertebral bodies during percutaneous vertebroplasty. Acad Radiol 16: pp. 136-143 CrossRef
- Theodorou, DJ (2001) The intravertebral cleft sign. Radiology 221: pp. 787-788 CrossRef
- Kallmes, DF, Comstock, BA, Heagerty, PJ, Turner, JA, Wilson, DJ, Diamond, TH, Edwards, R, Gray, LA, Stout, L, Owen, S, Hollingworth, W, Ghdoke, B, Annesley-Williams, DJ, Ralston, SH, Jarvik, JG (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 569-579 CrossRef
- Buchbinder, R, Osborne, RH, Ebeling, PR, Wark, JD, Mitchell, P, Wriedt, C, Graves, S, Staples, MP, Murphy, B (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 557-568 CrossRef
- Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, Venmans A, van Rooij WJ, Schoemaker MC, Juttmann JR, Lo TH, Verhaar HJ, van der Graaf Y, van Everdingen KJ, Muller AF, Elgersma OE, Halkema DR, Fransen H, Janssens X, Buskens E, Mali WP. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 2010 (Epub ahead of print).
- McKiernan, F, Faciszewski, T (2003) Intravertebral clefts in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Arthritis Rheum 48: pp. 1414-1419 CrossRef
- Mathis, JM (2002) Vertebroplasty for vertebral fractures with intravertebral clefts. Am J Neuroradiol 23: pp. 1619-1620
- McKiernan, F, Faciszewski, T, Jensen, R (2004) Quality of Life Following Vertebroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86-A: pp. 2600-2606
- Krauss, M, Hirschfelder, H, Tomandl, B, Lichti, G, Bär, I (2006) Kyphosis reduction and the rate of cement leaks after vertebroplasty of intravertebral clefts. Eur Radiol 16: pp. 1015-1021 CrossRef
- Hasegawa, K, Homma, T, Uchiyama, S, Takahashi, H (1998) Vertebral pseudarthrosis in the osteoporotic spine. Spine 23: pp. 2201-2206 CrossRef
- Hoshino, M, Nakamura, H, Terai, H, Tsujio, T, Nabeta, M, Namikawa, T, Matsumura, A, Suzuki, A, Takayama, K, Takaoka, K (2009) Factors affecting neurological deficits and intractable back pain in patients with insufficient bone union following osteoporotic vertebral fracture. Eur Spine J 18: pp. 1279-1286 CrossRef
- Carlier, RY, Gordji, H, Mompoint, DM, Vernhet, N, Feydy, A, Vallée, C (2004) Osteoporotic vertebral collapse: percutaneous vertebroplasty and local kyphosis correction. Radiology 233: pp. 891-898 CrossRef
- Radiological findings as favorable predictors of pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty: a retrospective study of 156 cases
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 30, Issue 5 , pp 407-414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Outcome predictor
- Intravertebral cleft
- Pain relief
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, St. Luke’s International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Kyushu University Beppu Hospital, 4546 Tsurumihara, Beppu, Oita, 874-0794, Japan
- 3. Department of Clinical Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan