Radiological findings as favorable predictors of pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty: a retrospective study of 156 cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We evaluated the relationships between pre-procedural radiological findings and short-term pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP).
Materials and methods
A retrospective review of pre-procedural radiological images of 156 patients with painful osteoporotic compression fracture was performed. Pain was measured with a visual analogue scale (VAS). Complete pain relief was defined as a VAS pain score of 0 or 1 at 3 months after PVP. Statistical analyses were conducted to evaluate the relationship between the pre-procedural imaging factors and pain relief using Pearson’s chi-squared test. Multivariate logistic regression analysis was also performed.
Complete pain relief was obtained in 45.5% of patients. An intravertebral cleft larger than half the height of the fractured vertebral body (FVB) was a significant key factor in the complete pain relief group after 3 months. Further, ≥40% of the spinal canal occupied by bony fragments of the FVB was related to incomplete pain relief.
A large intravertebral cleft was a favorable short-term outcome predictor in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after PVP, while severe protrusion of the FVB causing lumbar spinal canal stenosis was not a favorable short-term outcome predictor of complete pain relief.
- Jensen ME, Evans AJ, Mathis JM, Kallmes DF, Cloft HJ, Dion JE. Percutaneous polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral body compression fractures: technical aspects. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1997;18:1897–904.
- Martin JB, Jean B, Sugiu K, San Millan Ruiz D, Piotin M, Murphy K, Rufenacht B, Muster M, Rufenacht DA. Vertebroplasty: clinical experience and follow-up results. Bone. 1999;25:11S–5S.
- Grados F, Depriester C, Cayrolle G, Hardy N, Deramond H, Fardellone P. Long-term observations of vertebral osteoporotic fractures treated by percutaneous vertebroplasty. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2000;39:1410–4. CrossRef
- Barr JD, Barr MS, Lemley TJ, McCann RM. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pain relief and spinal stabilization. Spine. 2000;25:923–8. CrossRef
- Amar AP, Larsen DW, Esnaashari N, Albuquerque FC, Lavine SD, Teitelbaum GP. Percutaneous transpedicular polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty for the treatment of spinal compression fractures. Neurosurgery. 2001;49:1105–15.
- Evans AJ, Jensen ME, Kip KE, DeNardo AJ, Lawler GJ, Negin GA, Remley KB, Boutin SM, Dunnagan SA. Vertebral compression fractures: pain reduction and improvement in functional mobility after percutaneous polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty retrospective report of 245 cases. Radiology. 2003;226:366–72. CrossRef
- Hodler J, Peck D, Gilula LA. Midterm outcome after vertebroplasty: predictive value of technical and patient-related factors. Radiology. 2003;227:662–8. CrossRef
- Peh WC, Gilula LA, Peck DD. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for severe osteoporotic vertebral body compression fractures. Radiology. 2002;223:121–6. CrossRef
- Cyteval C, Sarrabere MP, Roux JO, Thomas E, Jorgensen C, Blotman F, Sany J, Taourel P. Acute osteoporotic vertebral collapse: open study on percutaneous injection of acrylic surgical cement in 20 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999;173:1685–90.
- Cortet B, Cotton A, Boutry N, Flipo RM, Duquesnoy B, Chastanet P, Delcambre B. Percutaneous vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: an open prospective study. J Rheumatol. 1999;26:2222–8.
- Heini PF, Walchli B, Berlemann U. Percutaneous transpedicular vertebroplasty with PMMA: operative technique and early results. A prospective study for the treatment of osteoporotic compression fractures. Eur Spine J. 2000;9:445–50. CrossRef
- Zoarski GH, Snow P, Olan WJ, Stallmeyer MJ, Dick BW, Hebel JR, De Deyne M. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic compression fractures: quantitative prospective evaluation of long-term outcomes. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002;13(2 Pt 1):139–48. CrossRef
- McGraw JK, Lippert JA, Minkus KD, Rami PM, Davis TM, Budzik RF. Prospective evaluation of pain relief in 100 patients undergoing percutaneous vertebroplasty: results and follow-up. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002;13(9 Pt 1):883–6. CrossRef
- Diamond TH, Champion B, Clark WA. Management of acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a nonrandomized trial comparing percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapy. Am J Med. 2003;114:257–65. CrossRef
- Heini PF, Berlemann U, Kaufmann M, Lippuner K, Fankhauser C, van Landuyt P. Augmentation of mechanical properties in osteoporotic vertebral bones: a biomechanical investigation of vertebroplasty efficacy with different bone cements. Eur Spine J. 2001;10:164–71. CrossRef
- Kaufmann TJ, Jensen ME, Schweickert PA, Marx WF, Kallmes DF. Age of fracture and clinical outcomes of percutaneous vertebroplasty. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001;22:1860–3.
- O’Brien J, Brennan D, Taylor D, O’Byrne J, Eustace S. Percutaneous vertebroplasty—initial clinical experience in osteoporotic and myelomatous compression fractures. J Med Sci. 2006;175:50–3.
- Ryu KS, Park CK, Kim MC, Kang JK. Dose-dependent epidural leakage of polymethylmethacrylate after percutaneous vertebroplasty in patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. J Neurosurg. 2002;96:56–61.
- Uemura A, Kobayashi N, Numaguchi Y, Fuwa S, Saida Y. Preprocedural MR imaging for percutaneous vertebroplasty: special interest in contrast enhancement. Radiat Med. 2007;25(7):325–8. CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lee JW, Kim KJ, Chung SK, Kim HJ, Park JM, Kang HS. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for intravertebral cleft: analysis of therapeutic effects and outcome predictors. Skeletal Radiol. 2010 (Epub ahead of print).
- Lane JI, Maus TP, Wald JT, Thielen KR, Bobra S, Luetmer PH. Intravertebral clefts opacified during vertebroplasty: pathogenesis, technical implications, and prognostic significance. AJNR. 2002;23(10):1642–6.
- Wiggins MC, Sehizadeh M, Pilgram TK, Gilula LA. Importance of intravertebral fracture clefts in vertebroplasty outcome. AJR. 2007;188(3):634–40. CrossRef
- Kamano H, Hiwatashi A, Kobayashi N, Fuwa S, Takahashi O, Yoshiura T, Saida Y, Honda H, Numaguchi Y. New vertebral compression fractures following prophylactic vertebroplasty in osteoporotic patients. Presented at annual meeting of 48th ASNR, May 15–20, 2010.
- Kobayashi N, Numaguchi Y, Fuwa S, Uemura A, Matsusako M, Okajima Y, Ishiyama M, Takahashi O. Prophylactic vertebroplasty: cement injection into non-fractured vertebral bodies during percutaneous vertebroplasty. Acad Radiol. 2009;16(2):136–43. CrossRef
- Theodorou DJ. The intravertebral cleft sign. Radiology. 2001;221(3):787–8. CrossRef
- Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Turner JA, Wilson DJ, Diamond TH, Edwards R, Gray LA, Stout L, Owen S, Hollingworth W, Ghdoke B, Annesley-Williams DJ, Ralston SH, Jarvik JG. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(6):569–79. CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Mitchell P, Wriedt C, Graves S, Staples MP, Murphy B. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(6):557–68. CrossRef
- Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, Venmans A, van Rooij WJ, Schoemaker MC, Juttmann JR, Lo TH, Verhaar HJ, van der Graaf Y, van Everdingen KJ, Muller AF, Elgersma OE, Halkema DR, Fransen H, Janssens X, Buskens E, Mali WP. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 2010 (Epub ahead of print).
- McKiernan F, Faciszewski T. Intravertebral clefts in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48:1414–9. CrossRef
- Mathis JM. Vertebroplasty for vertebral fractures with intravertebral clefts. Am J Neuroradiol. 2002;23:1619–20.
- McKiernan F, Faciszewski T, Jensen R. Quality of Life Following Vertebroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86-A(12):2600–6.
- Krauss M, Hirschfelder H, Tomandl B, Lichti G, Bär I. Kyphosis reduction and the rate of cement leaks after vertebroplasty of intravertebral clefts. Eur Radiol. 2006;16(5):1015–21. CrossRef
- Hasegawa K, Homma T, Uchiyama S, Takahashi H. Vertebral pseudarthrosis in the osteoporotic spine. Spine. 1998;23:2201–6. CrossRef
- Hoshino M, Nakamura H, Terai H, Tsujio T, Nabeta M, Namikawa T, Matsumura A, Suzuki A, Takayama K, Takaoka K. Factors affecting neurological deficits and intractable back pain in patients with insufficient bone union following osteoporotic vertebral fracture. Eur Spine J. 2009;18:1279–86. CrossRef
- Carlier RY, Gordji H, Mompoint DM, Vernhet N, Feydy A, Vallée C. Osteoporotic vertebral collapse: percutaneous vertebroplasty and local kyphosis correction. Radiology. 2004;233(3):891–8. CrossRef
- Radiological findings as favorable predictors of pain relief in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty: a retrospective study of 156 cases
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 30, Issue 5 , pp 407-414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Outcome predictor
- Intravertebral cleft
- Pain relief
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, St. Luke’s International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Kyushu University Beppu Hospital, 4546 Tsurumihara, Beppu, Oita, 874-0794, Japan
- 3. Department of Clinical Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan