Preliminary study of positron emission tomography/computed tomography and plasma osteopontin levels in patients with asbestos-related pleural disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to compare the results of semiquantitative analysis by18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) with plasma osteopontin levels in the same asbestos-related pleural disease population.
Materials and methods
A total of 17 patients with asbestos-related pleural disease were prospectively recruited. They underwent PET/CT, and plasma osteopontin levels were measured. The maximum standardized uptake value (SUVmax) was determined from the most active pleural lesion in each patient.
Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) was histologically proven in 6 patients, and 11 patients had proven benign asbestos-related pleural diseases (7 pleural plaques, 4 asbestos pleurisy). Significant differences in SUVmax were found between patients with MPM and those with asbestos pleurisy (P = 0.031) and between patients with MPM and those with pleural plaques (P = 0.012). A significant difference was found in the plasma osteopontin levels between patients with asbestos pleurisy and patients with pleural plaques (Bonferroni correction, P = 0.024). The SUVmax in patients with benign asbestos-related diseases was statistically positively correlated with plasma osteopontin in the same group (Spearman’s r = 0.75, P < 0.05).
PET/CT might be more helpful than plasma osteopontin for distinguishing benign asbestos-related pleural diseases from MPM, and the SUVmax in benign asbestos-related pleural diseases may reflect changes in pleural inflammation.
- McLoud T. Conventional radiography in the diagnosis of asbestos-related disease. Radiol Clin North Am 1992;30:1177–1189.
- Robinson BW, Lake RA. Advances in malignant mesothelioma. N Engl J Med 2005;353:1591–1603. CrossRef
- Armato SG 3rd, Entwisle J, Tmong MT, Nowak AK, Ceressoli HL, Zhoo B, et al. Current state and future directions of pleural mesothelioma imaging. Lung Cancer 2008;59:411–420. CrossRef
- Yamamuro M, Gerbaudo VH, Gill RR, Jacobson FL, Sugarbaker DJ, Hatabu H. Morphologic and functional imaging of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Eur J Radiol 2007;64:356–366. CrossRef
- Heelan RT, Rush VW, Begg CB, Panicek DM, Caravelli JF, Eisen C. Staging of malignant pleural mesothelioma: comparison of CT and MRI imaging. AJR Am J Roentogenol 1999;4:1039–1047.
- Kramer H, Pieterman RM, Slebos DJ, Timens W, Vaalburg W, Koeter GH, et al. PET for evaluation of pleural thickening observed on CT. J Nucl Med 2004;45:995–998.
- Gerbaudo VH, Sugarbaker DJ, Britz-Cunningham S, Di Carli MF, Mauceri C, Treves ST. Assessment of malignant pleural mesothelioma with (18)F-FDG dual-head gamma-camera coincidence imaging: comparison with histopathology. J Nucl Med 2002;9:1144–1149.
- Bernard D, Nguyen D, Louis R, Cataldo D, Belhocine T, Bartsch P, et al. Evaluation of pleural disease with 18-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography imaging. Chest 2004;125:489–493. CrossRef
- Flores RM, Akhurst T, Gonen M, Zakowski M, Dycoco J, Larson SM, et al. Positron emission tomography defines metastatic disease but not locoregional disease in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003;126:11–15. CrossRef
- Erasmus JJ, Thruong MT, Smythe WR, Munden RF, Marom EM, Rice DC, et al. Integrated computed tomographypositron emission tomography in patients with potentially respectable malignant pleural mesothelioma: staging implications. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005;6:1364–1370.
- Standal T, Borset M, Sundan A. Role of osteopontin in adhesion, migration, cell survival and bone remodeling. Exp Oncol 2004;26:179–184.
- Pass Hi, Lott D, Lonardo F, Harbut M, Liu Z, Tang N, et al. Asbestos exposure, pleural mesothelioma, and serum osteopontin levels. N Engl J Med 2005;353:1564–1573. CrossRef
- Scherpereel A, Lee YCG. Biomarkers for mesothelioma. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2007;13:339–343. CrossRef
- Kim JH, Skates SJ, Uede T, Wong KK, Schorge JO, Feltmate CM, et al. Osteopontin as a potential diagnostic biomarker for ovarian cancer. JAMA 2002;287:1671–1679. CrossRef
- Okten F, Koksal D, Onal M, Ozcan A, Simsek C, Erturk H. Computed tomography findings in 66 patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma due to environmental exposure to asbestos. Clin Imaging 2006;30:177–180. CrossRef
- Orki A, Akin O, Tasci AE, Ciftci H, Urek S, Falay O, et al. The role of positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the diagnosis of pleural disease. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009;57:217–221. CrossRef
- Park EK, Thomas PS, Johnson AR, Yates DH. Osteopontin levels in an asbestos-exposed population. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15:1362–1366. CrossRef
- Grigoriu BD, Scherpereel A, Devos P, Chahine B, Letourneux M, Lebailly P, et al. Utility of osteopontin and serum mesothelin in malignant pleural mesothelioma diagnosis and prognosis assessment. Clin Cancer Res 2007;13:2928–2935. CrossRef
- O’Regan A. The role of osteopontin in lung disease. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2003;14:479–488. CrossRef
- Meller J, Sahlmann CO, Scheel AK. 18F-FDG PET and PET/CT in fever of unknown origin. J Nucl Med 2007;48:35–45.
- Mochizuki T, Tsukamoto E, Kuge Y, Kanegae K, Zhao S, Hikosaka K, et al. FDG uptake and glucose transporter subtype expression in experimental tumor and inflammation models. J Nucl Med 2001;42:1551–1555.
- Benard F, Sterman D, Smith RJ, Kaiser LR, Albelda SM, Alavi A. Metabolic imaging of malignant pleural mesothelioma with fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Chest 1998;114:713–722. CrossRef
- Carretta A, Landoni C, Melloni G, Ceresoli GL, Compierchio A, Fazio F, et al. 18-FDG positron emission tomography in the evaluation of malignant pleural diseases: a pilot study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2000;17:377–383. CrossRef
- Rusch VW, Venkatraman ES. Important prognostic factors in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, manage surgically. Ann Thorac Surg 1999;68:1799–1804. CrossRef
- Magnani C, Ciscomi S, Dalmasso P, Ivaldi C, Mirabelli D, Terracini B. Survival after pleural malignant mesothelioma; a population-based study in Italy. Tumori 2002;88:266–269.
- Flores RM. The role of PET in the surgical management of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Lung Cancer 2005;6:1364–1370.
- Preliminary study of positron emission tomography/computed tomography and plasma osteopontin levels in patients with asbestos-related pleural disease
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 446-452
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Malignant mesothelioma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nuclear Medicine and PET Center, Department of Radiology, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi-machi, Kurume, 830-0011, Japan
- 2. Division of Respiratory, Neurology, and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
- 3. Department of Surgery, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
- 4. Department of Radiology, Kurume University School of Medicine and Center for Diagnostic Imaging, Kurume University Hospital, Kurume, Japan