Preliminary study of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy after the first cycle in breast cancer: comparison of 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy with diffusion magnetic resonance imaging
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of single-voxel 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) at 1.5 T to evaluate early responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy after the first treatment in breast cancer patients and to compare it to measurements of apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values derived from diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Materials and methods
Nine patients with breast cancer who were scheduled to receive neoadjuvant chemotherapy were recruited. MR examination after the first cycle was scheduled for a few days before the administration of the second dose.
Two patients were excluded from the study because their regimen was changed after the first cycle. MRS before chemotherapy demonstrated the presence of choline (Cho) at 3.22–3.23 ppm in six cases and at 3.27 ppm in one case. Diffusion-weighted MRI before chemotherapy demonstrated a localized high-signal lesion in all cases. The change of the integral value of Cho after the first cycle of chemotherapy showed a positive correlation with the change in lesion size (r = 0.91, P = 0.01), whereas no correlation was observed between the change of ADC values after the first cycle and the change in lesion size (r = 0.45, P = 0.32).
MRS after the first cycle may be more sensitive to diffusion-weighted MRI to predict the pathological response.
- Fisher B, Brown A, Mamounas E, Wieand S, Robidoux A, Margolese RG, et al. Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on local-regional disease in women with operable breast cancer: findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-18. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:2483–2493.
- Fisher B, Bryant J, Wolmark N, Mamounas E, Brown A, Fisher ER, et al. Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on the outcome of women with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2672–2685.
- Goldhirsch A, Glick JH, Gelber RD, Coates AS, Senn HJ. Meeting highlights: international consensus panel on the treatment of primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:3817–3827.
- Tardivon AA, Ollivier L, El Khoury C, Thibault F. Monitoring therapeutic efficacy in breast carcinomas. Eur Radiol 2006;16:2549–2558. CrossRef
- Weatherall PT, Evans GF, Metzger GJ, Saborrian MH, Leitch AM. MRI vs. histologic measurement of breast cancer following chemotherapy: comparison with X-ray mammography and palpation. J Magn Reson Imaging 2001;13:868–875. CrossRef
- Partridge SC, Gibbs JE, Lu Y, Esserman LJ, Sudilovsky D, Hylton NM. Accuracy of MR imaging for revealing residual breast cancer in patients who have undergone neoadjuvant chemotherapy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2002;179:1193–1199.
- Yeh E, Slanetz P, Kopans DB, Rafferty E, Georgian-Smith D, Moy L, et al. Prospective comparison of mammography, sonography, and MRI in patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy for palpable breast cancer. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2005;184:868–877.
- Rieber A, Zeitler H, Rosenthal H, Görich J, Krelenberg R, Brambs HJ, et al. MRI of breast cancer: influence of chemotherapy on sensitivity. Br J Radiol 1997;70:452–458.
- Martincich L, Montemurro F, De Rosa G, Marra V, Ponzone R, Cirillo S, et al. Monitoring response to primary chemotherapy in breast cancer using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2004;83:67–76. CrossRef
- Jagannathan NR, Kumar M, Seenu V, Coshic O, Dwivedi SN, Julka PK, et al. Evaluation of total choline from in-vivo volume localized proton MR spectroscopy and its response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2001:84:1016–1022. CrossRef
- Kumar M, Jagannathan NR, Seenu V, Dwivedi SN, Julka PK, Rath GK. Monitoring the therapeutic response of locally advanced breast cancer patients: sequential in vivo proton MR spectroscopy study. J Magn Reson Imaging 2006;24:325–332. CrossRef
- Meisamy S, Bolan PJ, Baker EH, Bliss RL, Gulbahce E, Everson LI, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy of locally advanced breast cancer: predicting response with in vivo 1H MR spectroscopy: a pilot study at 4 T. Radiology 2004;233:424–431. CrossRef
- Guo Y, Cai YQ, Cai ZL, Gao YG, An NY, Ma L, et al. Differentiation of clinically benign and malignant breast lesions using diffusion-weighted imaging. J Magn Reson Imaging 2002;16:172–178. CrossRef
- Sinha S, Lucas-Quesada FA, Sinha U, DeBruhl N, Bassett LW. In vivo diffusion-weighted MRI of the breast: potential for lesion characterization. J Magn Reson Imaging 2002;15:693–704. CrossRef
- Galons JP, Altbach MI, Paine-Murrieta GD, Taylor CW, Gillies RJ. Early increases in breast tumor xenograft water mobility in response to paclitaxel therapy detected by noninvasive diffusion magnetic resonance imaging. Neoplasia 1999;1:133–137. CrossRef
- Sharma U, Danishad KK, Seenu V, Jagannathan NR. Longitudinal study of the assessment by MRI and diffusion-weighted imaging of tumor response in patients with locally advanced breast cancer undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy. NMR Biomed 2009;22:104–113. CrossRef
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, et al. New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000;92:205–216. CrossRef
- Bottomley PA. On restoring motion-induced signal loss in single-voxel magnetic resonance spectra. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1987;508:333–348. CrossRef
- Star-Lack J, Nelson SJ, Kurhanewicz J, Huang LR, Vigneron DB. Improved water and lipid suppression for 3D PRESS CSI using RF band selective inversion with gradient dephasing (BASING). Magn Reson Med 1997;38:311–321. CrossRef
- Huang W, Fisher PR, Dulaimy K, Tudorica LA, O’Hea B, Button TM. Detection of breast malignancy: diagnostic MR protocol for improved specificity. Radiology 2004;232:585–591. CrossRef
- Bartella L, Morris EA, Dershaw DD, Liberman L, Thakur SB, Moskowitz C, et al. Proton MR spectroscopy with choline peak as malignancy marker improves positive predictive value for breast cancer diagnosis: preliminary study. Radiology 2006;239:686–692. CrossRef
- Sataloff DM, Mason BA, Prestipino AJ, Seinige UL, Lieber CP, Baloch Z. Pathologic response to induction chemotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the breast: a determinant of outcome. J Am Coll Surg 1995;180:297–306.
- World Health Organization classification of tumors: pathology and genetics of tumours of the breast and female genitalorgans. Lyon, France: IARC; 2003.
- Mann RM, Kuhl CK, Kinkel K, Boetes C. Breast MRI: guidelines from the European Society of Breast Imaging. Eur Radiol 2008;18:1307–1318. CrossRef
- Tozaki M, Sakamoto M, Oyama Y, O’uchi T, Kawano N, Suzuki T, et al. Monitoring of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer with 1H MR spectroscopy: comparison to sequential 2-[18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. J Magn Reson Imaging 2008;28:420–427. CrossRef
- Lin AP, Ross BD. Short-echo time proton MR spectroscopy in the presence of gadolinium. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2001;25:705–712. CrossRef
- Murphy PS, Leach MO, Rowland IJ. Signal modulation in (1)H magnetic resonance spectroscopy using contrast agents: proton relaxivities of choline, creatine, and N-acetylaspartate. Magn Reson Med 1999;42:1155–1158. CrossRef
- Sijens PE, Oudkerk M, van Dijk P, Levendag PC, Vecht CJ. 1H MR spectroscopy monitoring of changes in choline peak area and line shape after Gd-contrast administration. Magn Reson Imaging 1998;16:1273–1280. CrossRef
- Joe BN, Chen VY, Salibi N, Fuangtharntip P, Hildebolt CF, Bae KT. Evaluation of 1H-magnetic resonance spectroscopy of breast cancer pre- and postgadolinium administration. Invest Radiol 2005;40:405–411. CrossRef
- Lenkinski RE, Wang X, Elian M, Goldberg SN. Interaction of gadolinium-based MR contrast agents with choline: implications for MR spectroscopy (MRS) of the breast. Magn Reson Med. 2009;61:1286–1292. CrossRef
- Stanwell P, Gluch L, Clark D, Tomanek B, Baker L, Guiffrè B, et al. Specificity of choline metabolites for in vivo diagnosis of breast cancer using 1H MRS at 1.5 T. Eur Radiol 2005;15:1037–1043. CrossRef
- Aboagye EO, Bhujwalla ZM. Malignant transformation alters membrane choline phospholipid metabolism of human mammary epithelial cells. Cancer Res 1999;59:80–84.
- Preliminary study of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy after the first cycle in breast cancer: comparison of 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy with diffusion magnetic resonance imaging
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 101-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Proton MRS
- Diffusion-weighted imaging
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy
- Therapeutic response
- Industry Sectors