Kikuchi disease: 18F-FDG positron emission tomography/computed tomography of lymph node uptake
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study evaluated 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) findings in patients with Kikuchi disease (KD), or histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis.
Materials and methods
We evaluated the 18F-FDG PET/ CT findings of seven patients (one man, six women) with KD, ranging in age from 23 to 66 years (mean 36 years). All the patients had been diagnosed based on the pathological findings of a biopsy and clinical course.
The maximum standard uptake values (SUVmax) of FDG uptake in affected lymph nodes were 2.05–13.94 (mean ± SD, 6.25 ± 3.32). In all the patients but two, the lymph nodes with the SUVmax were located in the neck. All the lymph nodes had a diameter of <30 mm. In nonneck regions, the SUVs of the swollen lymph nodes tended to indicate lower uptake.
FDG-PET/CT was capable of visualizing general regions containing lymph nodes and was useful for making clinical decisions as to biopsy sites. Together with the physical findings, consideration of the distribution and size of the affected lymph nodes, as shown using FDG-PET/CT, may be useful for suggesting the possibility of KD. KD should be considered in the differential diagnosis of FDG-avid lymph node lesions.
- Bosch, X., Guilabert, A., Miquel, R., Campo, E. (2004) Enigmatic Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease: a comprehensive review. Am J Clin Pathol 122: pp. 141-152 CrossRef
- Kim, C.H., Hyun, O.J., Yoo, I., Kim, S.H., Sohn, H.S., Chung, S.K. (2007) Kikuchi disease mimicking malignant lymphoma on FDG PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med 32: pp. 711-712 CrossRef
- Chamulak, G.A., Brynes, R.K., Nathwani, B.N. (1990) Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease mimicking malignant lymphoma. Am J Surg Pathol 14: pp. 514-523 CrossRef
- Mootsikapun, P., Sirijerachai, J., Nanagara, R. (2002) Kikuchi-Fujimoto’s disease, histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis, mimicking systemic lupus erythematosus. J Med Assoc Thai 85: pp. 1037-1041
- Jayaraj, S.M., Lloyd, J., Frosh, A.C., Patel, K.S. (1999) Kikuchi-Fujimoto’s syndrome masquerading as tuberculosis. J Laryngol Otol 113: pp. 82-84
- Kwon, S.Y., Kim, T.K., Kim, Y.S., Lee, K.Y., Lee, N.J., Seol, H.Y. (2004) CT findings in Kikuchi disease: analysis of 96 cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25: pp. 1099-1102
- Na, D.G., Chung, T.S., Byun, H.S., Kim, H.D., Ko, Y.H., Yoon, J.H. (1997) Kikuchi disease: CT and MRI findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 18: pp. 1729-1732
- Miller, W.T., Perez-Jaffe, L.A. (1999) Cross-sectional imaging of Kikuchi disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr 23: pp. 548-551 CrossRef
- Kaicker, S., Gerard, P.S., Kalburgi, S., Geller, M.D., Hailoo, D. (2008) PET-CT scan in a patient with Kikuchi disease. Pedatr Radiol 38: pp. 596-597 CrossRef
- Liao, A.C., Chen, Y.K. (2003) Cervical lymphadenopathy caused by Kikuchi disease: positron emission tomographic appearance. Clin Nucl Med 28: pp. 320-321 CrossRef
- Hudnall, S.D., Chen, T., Amr, S., Young, K.H., Henry, K. (2008) Detection of human herpesvirus DNA in Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease and reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 1: pp. 362-368
- Dorfman, R.F., Berry, G.J. (1988) Kikuchi’s histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis: an analysis of 108 cases with emphasis on differential diagnosis. Semin Diagn Pathol 5: pp. 329-345
- Kikuchi disease: 18F-FDG positron emission tomography/computed tomography of lymph node uptake
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 15-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Kikuchi disease
- Necrotizing histiocytic lymphadenitis
- Industry Sectors