Sonazoid-enhanced sonography for guiding radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma: better tumor visualization by Kupffer-phase imaging and vascular-phase imaging after reinjection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to assess the usefulness of contrast harmonic sonography with a newly developed sonographic contrast agent as a means of guidance for percutaneous radiofrequency (RF) ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
Materials and methods
A total of 52 consecutive HCC lesions in 42 patients with HCC who underwent percutaneous RF ablation were included in this study. Altogether, 40 lesions in 35 patients were untreated HCC, and 12 lesions in 7 patients were local tumor progression of an HCC that had already been treated by other methods. We investigated tumors by Kupffer-phase imaging and vascular-phase imaging after reinjection. We performed RF ablation guided by Sonazoid-enhanced sonography using Kupffer-phase imaging and vascular-phase imaging after reinjection.
Conventional sonography identified 30 (57%) of 52 HCCs, whereas Sonazoid-enhanced sonography detected 50 (96%) of 52 HCCs (P < 0.01, McNemar’s χ2 test). Complete ablation was achieved at a single session in 48 of 50 tumors.
Sonazoid-enhanced sonography is a useful technique for guiding RF ablation of HCCs, even when treating local progression of a previously treated HCC.
- Colombo M, De Franchis R, Del Ninno E, Sangiovanni A, De Fazio C, Tommasini M, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma in Italian patients with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 1981;325:675–680. CrossRef
- Llovet JM, Burroughs A, Bruix J. Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet 2003;362:1907–1917. CrossRef
- Bruix J, Llovet JM. Prognostic prediction and treatment strategy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2002;35:519–524. CrossRef
- Lencioni R, Cioni D, Crocetti L, Franchini C, Pina CD, Lera J, et al. Early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis: long-term results of percutaneous image-guided radiofrequency ablation. Radiology 2005;234:961–967. CrossRef
- Dodd GD 3rd, Soulen MC, Kane RA, Livraghi T, Lees WR, Yamashita Y, et al. Minimally invasive treatment of malignant hepatic tumors: at the threshold of a major breakthrough. Radiographics 2000;20:9–27.
- Goldberg SN, Gazelle GS, Mueller PR. Thermal ablation therapy for focal malignancy: a unified approach to underlying principles, techniques, and diagnostic imaging guidance. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000;174:323–331.
- Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Lazzaroni S, Meloni F, Solbiati L, Gazelle GS. Small hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment with radio-frequency ablation versus ethanol injection. Radiology 1999;210:655–661.
- Ikeda M, Okuda S, Ueno H, Okusaka T, Kuriyama H. Radiofrequency ablation and percutaneous ethanol injection in patients with small hepatocellular carcinoma: a comparative study. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2001;31:322–326. CrossRef
- Shiina S, Yasuda H, Muto H, Tagawa K, Unuma T, Ibukuro K, et al. Percutaneous ethanol injection in the treatment of liver neoplasms. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1987;149:949–952.
- Minami Y, Kudo M, Kawasaki T, Chung H, Ogawa C, Shiozaki H. Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: usefulness of contrast harmonic sonography for lesions poorly defined with B-mode sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004;183:153–156.
- Numata K, Morimoto M, Ogura T, Sugimori K, Takebayashi S, Okada M, et al. Ablation therapy guided by contrast-enhanced sonography with Sonazoid for hepatocellular carcinoma lesions not detected by conventional sonography. J Ultrasound Med 2008;27:395–406.
- Hirooka M, Iuchi H, Kumagi T, Shigematsu S, Hiraoka A, Uehara T, et al. Virtual sonographic radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma visualized on CT but not on conventional sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006;186:S255–S260. CrossRef
- Numata K, Tanaka K, Kiba T, Matsumoto S, Iwase S, Hara K, et al. Nonresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: improved percutaneous ethanol injection therapy guided by CO2-enhanced sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2001;177:789–798.
- Forsberg F, Piccoli CW, Liu JB, Rawool NM, Merton DA, Mitchell DG, et al. Hepatic tumor detection: MR imaging and conventional US versus pulse-inversion harmonic US of NC100100 during its reticuloendothelial system-specific phase. Radiology 2002;222:824–829. CrossRef
- Tanaka M, Nakashima O, Wada Y, Kage M, Kojiro M. Pathomorphological study of Kupffer cells in hepatocellular carcinoma and hyperplastic nodular lesions in the liver. Hepatology 1996;24:807–812. CrossRef
- Pugh RN, Murray-Lyon IM, Dawson JL, Pietroni MC, Williams R. Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices. Br J Surg 1973;60:646–649. CrossRef
- Kudo M, Hatanaka K, Chung H, Minami Y, Maekawa K. A proposal of novel treatment-assist technique for hepatocellular carcinoma in the Sonazoid-enhanced ultrasonography: value of defect re-perfusion imaging. Kanzo 2007;48:299–301. CrossRef
- Ebara M, Kita K, Sugiura N, Yoshikawa M, Fukuda H, Ohto M, et al. Therapeutic effect of percutaneous ethanol injection on small hepatocellular carcinoma: evaluation with CT. Radiology 1995;195:371–377.
- Catalano O, Lobianco R, Esposito M, Siani A. Hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence after percutaneous ablation therapy: helical CT patterns. Abdom Imaging 2001;26:375–383. CrossRef
- Hatanaka K, Kudo M, Minami Y, Ueda T, Tatsumi C, Kitai S, et al. Differential diagnosis of hepatic tumors: value of contrast-enhanced harmonic sonography using the newly developed contrast agent, Sonazoid. Intervirology 2008;51:61–69. CrossRef
- Kudo M. Contrast harmonic ultrasound is a breakthrough technology in the diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Med Ultrasonics 2001;28:79–81. CrossRef
- Watanabe R, Matsumura M, Munemasa T, Fujimaki M, Suematsu M. Mechanism of hepatic parenchyma-specific contrast of microbubble-based contrast agent for ultrasonography: microscopic studies in rat liver. Invest Radiol 2007;42:643–651. CrossRef
- Leen E, Ceccotti P, Moug SJ, Glen P, MacQuarrie J, Angerson WJ, et al. Potential value of contrast-enhanced intraoperative ultrasonography during partial hepatectomy for metastases: an essential investigation before resection. Ann Surg 2006;243:236–240. CrossRef
- Goldberg SN, Gazelle GS, Compton CC, Mueller PR, Tanabe KK. Treatment of intrahepatic malignancy with radiofrequency ablation: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Cancer 2000;88:2452–2463. CrossRef
- Solmi L, Muratori R, Bertoni F, Gandolfi L. Echo-guided percutaneous ethanol injection in small hepatocellular carcinoma: personal experience. Hepatogastroenterology 1993;40:505–508.
- Lencioni R, Caramella D, Bartolozzi C. Response of hepatocellular carcinoma to percutaneous ethanol injection: CT and MR evaluation. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1993;17:723–729. CrossRef
- Sato M, Watanabe Y, Tokui K, Kawachi K, Sugata S, Ikezoe J. CT-guided treatment of ultrasonically invisible hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:2102–2106. CrossRef
- Miyamoto N, Hiramatsu K, Tsuchiya K, Sato Y. Carbon dioxide microbubbles-enhanced sonographically guided radiofrequency ablation: treatment of patients with local progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Radiat Med 2008;26:92–97. CrossRef
- Kudo K, Moriyasu F, Mine Y, Miyata Y, Sugimoto K, Metoki R, et al. Preoperative RFA simulation for liver cancer using a CT virtual ultrasound system. Eur J Radiol 2007;61:324–331. CrossRef
- Nakano H, Ishida Y, Hatakeyama T, Sakuraba K, Hayashi M, Sakurai O, et al. Contrast-enhanced intraoperative ultrasonography equipped with late Kupffer-phase image obtained by sonazoid in patients with colorectal liver metastases. World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:3207–3211. CrossRef
- Sonazoid-enhanced sonography for guiding radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma: better tumor visualization by Kupffer-phase imaging and vascular-phase imaging after reinjection
Japanese Journal of Radiology
Volume 27, Issue 4 , pp 185-193
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Contrast-enhanced sonography
- Interventional radiology
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Obihiro Kosei Hospital, W6, S8, Obihiro, 080-0013, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan