R. A. Duff and Stuart Green (eds), Defining Crimes: Essays on the Special Part of the Criminal Law
- Arlie Loughnan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Defining Crimes concerns the so-called special part of the criminal law. As R. A. Duff and Stuart Green note in their Introduction, the special part of the criminal law has been somewhat neglected by legal theorists. This volume represents a timely and valuable attempt to address this neglect and, as the editors suggest, it demonstrates the ‘philosophical indispensability of the special part to any adequate analytical or normative study of the criminal law’ (p. 2). This edited collection may be regarded as a complement to existing philosophical collections on the general part of the criminal law (see, for example, Duff 1998; Shute and Simester 2002).
In introducing the essays comprising this volume, the editors discuss the scope and definition of the special part of the criminal law. Duff and Green acknowledge that there is no generally agreed upon distinction between the special part and the general part, or consensus about which aspects of the criminal law belong to each part or even ...
- Duff, R. A. (Ed.). (1998). Philosophy and the criminal law: Principles and critique. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Horder, J. (1995). Sobering up? The law commission on criminal intoxication. Modern Law Review, 58(4), 534–46.
- Lacey, N. (1998). Unspeakable subjects, impossible rights: Sexuality, integrity and criminal law. In N. Lacey (Ed.), Unspeakable subjects: Feminist essays in legal theory. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Pettit, P. (1998). Republicanism: A theory of freedom and government. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Shute, S., & Simester, A. P. (Eds.). (2002). Criminal law theory: Doctrines of the general part. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- R. A. Duff and Stuart Green (eds), Defining Crimes: Essays on the Special Part of the Criminal Law
Criminal Law and Philosophy
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 309-312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Arlie Loughnan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sydney Law School, University of Sydney, Level 12, 173-175 Phillip Street, Sydney, 2000, NSW, Australia