Complicity and causality
- John Gardner
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper considers some aspects of the morality of complicity, understood as participation in the wrongs of another. The central question is whether there is some way of participating in the wrongs of another other than by making a causal contribution to them. I suggest that there is not. In defending this view I encounter, and resist, the claim that it undermines the distinction between principals and accomplices. I argue that this distinction is embedded in the structure of rational agency.
- Fletcher, G. (1977). Rethinking criminal law. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.
- Gardner, J. (1996). Justifications and reasons. In A. P. Simester, & A. T. H. Smith (Eds.), Harm and culpability. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Gardner, J. (2004). Book review. Ethics, 114, 827.
- Glover, J. (1975). It makes no difference whether or not I do it. Aristotelian Society Supplementary Volume, 49, 171.
- Hart, H. L. A., & Honoré, T. (1985). Causation in the law (2nd ed.). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Kadish, S. H. (1985). Complicity, cause, and blame: A study in the interpretation of doctrine. California Law Review, 73, 323.
- Kutz, C. (2000). Complicity: Law and ethics for a collective age. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Nagel, T. (1979). The fragmentation of value. In T. Nagel (Ed.), Mortal questions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Parfit, D. (1984). Reasons and persons. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Scheffler, S. (1982). The rejection of consequentialism. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Solzhenitsyn, A. (1972). One word of truth. London: Bodley Head.
- von Wright, G. H. (1963). Norm and action. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Williams, B. (1973). A critique of utilitarianism. In J. J. C. Smart, & Williams, B. (Eds.), Utilitarianism: for and against. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Complicity and causality
Criminal Law and Philosophy
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 127-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- John Gardner (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Oxford, University College, Oxford, OX1 4BH, UK