Open isolated extensor carpi radialis brevis avulsion injury: a case report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Isolated extensor carpi radialis brevis (ECRB) tendon rupture from the third metacarpal bone is a rare injury . Because this injury is an avulsion injury, a fracture at the base of the third metacarpal always accompanies it. So far, nine cases of isolated ECRB tendon avulsion rupture have been reported in the medical literature. All of these cases reported that the injuries were closed injuries; therefore, there are no reports of open isolated ECRB tendon rupture in the medical literature [1, 3, 5, 8–13]. In this case report, an open isolated ECRB tendon avulsion rupture with third metacarpal base fracture after a spring injury is presented.
A 36-year-old male patient was brought to the emergency room after suffering an injury from a spring while he was repairing his car. The spring popped out from his car, forced his right hand into hyperflexion at the wrist joint and cut the dorsal side of his right hand. Patient examination revealed that there was a 6-cm-dia ...
- Boles SD, Durbin RA. Simultaneous ipsilateral avulsion of the extensor carpi radialis longus and brevis tendon insertions: case report and review of the literature. J Hand Surg Am. 1999;24:845–9. CrossRef
- Brand PW, Beach RB, Thompson DE. Relative tension and potential excursion of muscles in the forearm and hand. J Hand Surg Am. 1981;6:209–19. CrossRef
- Breeze SW, Ouellette T, Mays MM. Isolated avulsion fracture of the extensor carpi radialis brevis insertion due to a boxer’s injury. Orthopedics. 2009;32:210. CrossRef
- Clark D, Amirfeyz R, McCann P, Bhatia R. Extensor carpi radialis longus avulsion: a literature review and case report. Hand Surg. 2008;13:187–92. CrossRef
- Cobbs KF, Owens WS, Berg EE. Extensor carpi radialis brevis avulsion fracture of the long finger metacarpal: a case report. J Hand Surg Am. 1996;21:684–6. CrossRef
- DeLee JC. Avulsion fracture of the base of the second metacarpal by the extensor carpi radialis longus. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979;61:445–6.
- Ghee CK, Sebastin SJ, Kin-Sze Alphonsus C. Attrition rupture of the extensor pollicis longus tendon following Becker repair of extensor carpi radialis brevis tendon. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2009;62:592–3. CrossRef
- Hocker K, Spitz H. Osseous avulsion injury of the extensor carpi radialis brevis tendon from the base of the 3rd metacarpal bone. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2000;32:112–4. CrossRef
- Johnson AE, Puttler EG. Avulsion of the extensor carpi radialis brevis insertion: a case report and review of the literature. Mil Med. 2006;171:136–8.
- Rotman MB, Pruitt DL. Avulsion fracture of the extensor carpi radialis brevis insertion. J Hand Surg Am. 1993;18:511–3. CrossRef
- Tsiridis E, Kohls-Gatzoulis J, Schizas C. Avulsion fracture of the extensor carpi radialis brevis insertion. J Hand Surg Br. 2001;26:596–8. CrossRef
- Vandeputte G, De Smet L. Avulsion of both extensor carpi radialis tendons: a case report. J Hand Surg Am. 1999;24:1286–8. CrossRef
- Voigt C. Osseous rupture of the attachment of the tendon of the extensor carpi radialis brevis muscle. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 1989;21:331–3.
- Open isolated extensor carpi radialis brevis avulsion injury: a case report
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 354-357
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Division of Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, University of Arizona, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Room 5334, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
- 2. Arizona Health Sciences Library, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Room 2143, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA