Dorsal radiocarpal dislocation in a patient with Goldenhar syndrome: case report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fracture–dislocations of the carpus are rare, generally occurring after high-energy trauma. Goldenhar syndrome is among a group of genetic abnormalities associated with radial limb defects. We present a case of a dorsal radiocarpal dislocation in a patient with Goldenhar syndrome after a low-energy fall. To our knowledge, there has been no previous report of radiocarpal dislocation in the setting of Goldenhar syndrome.
This patient with Goldenhar syndrome had a dorsal radiocarpal dislocation in the setting of an absent scaphoid and dysplastic distal radius. A computed tomography scan, recognized as a useful modality to evaluate the wrist and scaphoid, was used to rule out any other osseous trauma or avulsion fractures.
Closed reduction and 6 weeks of immobilization resulted in a successful treatment.
The incidence of radiocarpal dislocations in patients with Goldenhar syndrome and the appropriate long-term treatment for patients with Goldenhar syndrome with radiocarpal dislocations require further investigation.
- Avon, SW, Shively, JL (1988) Orthopaedic manifestations of Goldenhar syndrome. J Pediatr Orthop 8: pp. 683-686 CrossRef
- Bush, CH, Gillespy, T, Dell, PC (1987) High-resolution CT of the wrist: initial experience with scaphoid disorders and surgical fusions. AJR Am J Roentgenol 149: pp. 757-760 CrossRef
- Dumontier, C, Meyer zu Reckendorf, G, Sautet, A (2001) Radiocarpal dislocations: classification and proposal for treatment. A review of twenty-seven cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 83: pp. 212-218
- Dunn, AW (1972) Fractures and dislocations of the carpus. Surg Clin North Am 52: pp. 1513-1538
- Freund, LG, Ovesen, J (1977) Isolated dorsal dislocation of the radiocarpal joint. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am 59: pp. 277
- Ilyas, AM, Mudgal, CS (2008) Radiocarpal fracture–dislocations. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16: pp. 647-655
- Moneim, MS, Bolger, JT, Omer, GE (1985) Radiocarpal dislocation—classification and rationale for management. Clin Orthop Relat Res 192: pp. 199-209
- Taleisnik, J (1988) Current concepts review. Carpal instability. J Bone Joint Surg Am 70: pp. 1262-1268
- Touliatou, V, Fryssira, H, Mavrou, A (2006) Clinical manifestations in 17 Greek patients with Goldenhar syndrome. Genet Couns 17: pp. 359-370
- Vendramini, S, Richieri-Costa, A, Guion-Almeida, ML (2007) Oculoauriculovertebral spectrum with radial defects: a new syndrome or an extension of the oculoauriculovertebral spectrum? Report of fourteen Brazilian cases and review of the literature. Eur J Hum Genet 15: pp. 411-421 CrossRef
- Dorsal radiocarpal dislocation in a patient with Goldenhar syndrome: case report
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 320-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Dorsal radiocarpal dislocation
- Dysplastic distal radius
- Scaphoid aplasia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University, 601 N. Caroline Street, Baltimore, MD, 21287, USA
- 2. c/o Elaine P. Henze, BJ, ELS, Medical Editor and Director, Editorial Services, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University/Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 4940 Eastern Ave., #A665, Baltimore, MD, 21224-2780, USA