Double lateral band transfer for treatment of traumatic hyperextension instability of the proximal interphalangeal joint: a report of two cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Post-traumatic hyperextension instability of the proximal interphalangeal joint may lead to pain, difficulty with initiating finger flexion, and a swan-neck deformity. Most techniques to correct a traumatic hyperextension deformity of the proximal interphalangeal joint require a window in the flexor retinaculum, retraction of the flexor tendons, and manipulation of the joint capsule with a conceivable potential for joint stiffness, tendon adhesions, and tendon bowstringing. We describe an extra-articular lateral band transfer technique that utilizes strips of both lateral bands and preserves the functional integrity of the flexor tendon sheath.
- Adams JP. Correction of chronic dorsal subluxation of the proximal interphalangeal joint by means of a cross-cross volar graft. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1959;41:111–5.
- Ahmed HA, Goldie BS. Proximal interphalangeal joint instability: a dynamic technique for stabilization. J Hand Surg Br. 2002;27:354–5. CrossRef
- Bate JT. Operation for the correction of locking of the proximal interphalangeal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1945;27:142–4.
- Bowers WH. The proximal interphalangeal joint volar plate. II: a clinical study of hyperextension injury. J Hand Surg Am. 1981;6:77–81.
- Bowers WH, Wolf Jr JW, Nehil JL, et al. The proximal interphalangeal joint volar plate. I. An anatomical and biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am. 1980;5:79–88.
- Catalano III LW, Skarparis AC, Glickel SZ, et al. Treatment of chronic, traumatic hyperextension deformities of the proximal interphalangeal joint with flexor digitorum superficialis tenodesis. J Hand Surg Am. 2003;28:448–52. CrossRef
- de Bruin M, van Viet DC, Smeulders MJ, et al. Long-term results of lateral band translocation for the correction of swan neck deformity in cerebral palsy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010;30:67–70. CrossRef
- Foucher G, Tilquin B, Lenoble E. Treatment of post-traumatic swan-neck deformities. A series of 43 patients. Rev Chirurg Orthop. 1992;78:505–11.
- Hudak PL, Amadio PC, Bombardier C. Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: the DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand) [corrected]. The Upper Extremity Collaborative Group (UECG). Am J Ind Med. 1996;29:602–8. CrossRef
- Khandwala AR, Khan IU, Elliot D. The use of Acufex wedge tag tissue anchors in hand surgery. J Hand Surg Br. 2004;29:22–5.
- Kleinert HE, Kasdan ML. Reconstruction of chronically subluxated proximal interphalangeal finger joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1965;47:958–64.
- Lane CS. Reconstruction of the unstable proximal interphalangeal joint: the double superficialis tenodesis. J Hand Surg Am. 1978;3:368–9.
- Littler JW. The hand and wrist. In: Horworth MB, editor. A Textbook of Orthopedics. Stamford: Dorman; 1959. p. 284–5.
- Littler JW. The finger extensor mechanism. Surg Clin North Am. 1967;47:415–32.
- McCue FC, Honner R, Johnson MC, et al. Athletic injuries of the proximal interphalangeal joint requiring surgical treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970;52:937–56.
- Melone Jr CP, Polatsch DB, Beldner S, et al. Volar plate repair for posttraumatic hyperextension deformity of the proximal interphalangeal joint. Am J Orthop. 2010;39:190–4.
- Merrell G, Slade JF. Hand: dislocations and ligament injuries in the digits. In: Wolfe SW, Hotchkiss RN, Pederson WC, Kozin SH, editors. Green’s Operative Hand Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2011. p. 291–332.
- Nalebuff EA. The rheumatoid swan-neck deformity. Hand Clin. 1989;5:203–14.
- Onishi Y, Fujioka H, Doita M. Treatment of chronic post-traumatic hyperextension deformity of proximal interphalangeal joint using the suture anchor: a case report. Hand Surg. 2007;12:47–9. CrossRef
- Palmar AK, Linscheid RL. Chronic recurrent dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint of the finger. J Hand Surg. 1978;3:95–7.
- Portis RB. Hyperextensibility of the proximal interphalangeal joint of the finger following trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1954;36:1141–6.
- Sirotakova M, Figus A, Jarrett P, et al. Correction of swan neck deformity in rheumatoid arthritis using a new lateral extensor band technique. J Hand Surg E. 2008;33:712–6.
- Thompson JS, Littler WJ, Upton J. The spiral oblique retinacular ligament (SORL). J Hand Surg. 1978;5:482–7.
- Tonkin MA, Hughes J, Smith KL. Lateral band translocation for swan-neck deformity. J Hand Surg Am. 1992;17:260–7. CrossRef
- Van Heest AE, House JH. Lateral band rerouting in the treatment of swan neck deformities due to cerebral palsy. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 1997;1:189–94. CrossRef
- Wiley AM. Instability of the proximal interphalangeal joint following dislocation and fracture dislocation: surgical repair. Hand. 1970;2:185–91. CrossRef
- Wollstein R, Watson HK, Carlson L. A technique for the repair of chronic volar plate avulsion of the proximal interphalangeal joint: a review of 54 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;17:1239–45. CrossRef
- Zancolli EA, Zancolli EJ. Surgical rehabilitation of the spastic upper limb in cerebral palsy. In: Lamb DW, editor. The Paralyzed Hand. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1987. p. 153–67.
- Double lateral band transfer for treatment of traumatic hyperextension instability of the proximal interphalangeal joint: a report of two cases
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 108-113
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Proximal interphalangeal joint
- Volar plate
- Joint instability
- Lateral band transfer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, 4245 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA, USA
- 2. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 675 N. St. Clair, Chicago, IL, USA
- 5. Chicago Center for Surgery of the Hand, 737 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
- 3. Department of Plastic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, 8700 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI, USA
- 4. Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics, 7480 Ziegler Road, Chattanooga, TN, USA