Reverse Radial Forearm Fascial Flap With Radial Artery Preservation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The reverse radial forearm fascial (RRFF) flap is widely used in soft-tissue reconstruction of the hand. The traditional RRFF flap incorporates the radial artery from the forearm and is perfused by retrograde flow through the palmar arch. In patients with an abnormal Allen test because of an incomplete palmar arch, the traditional RRFF flap is contraindicated unless a vein graft is used to reconstruct the radial artery. A simpler alternative approach for hand reconstruction in such patients is a distally based RRFF flap based on radial artery perforators, which preserves the radial artery. We used RRFF flaps based on radial artery perforators in five patients who had palmar or dorsal soft-tissue loss. All five recovered full hand function, and only one had any complications (full-thickness skin graft loss at recipient site). The RRFF flap based on distal radial artery perforators is suitable for thin coverage of soft-tissue defects in hands with either a complete or an incomplete palmar arch.
- Chang SM, Hou CL. The development of the distally based radial forearm flap in hand reconstruction with preservation of the radial artery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106:955–7. CrossRef
- Dogan T, Gurunluoglu R, Imer B, Numanoglu A. The distally based forearm island flap in hand reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999;104:1581–2.
- Martin D, Bakhach J, Casoli V, Pellisier P, Ciria-Llorens G, Khouri RK, et al. Reconstruction of the hand with forearm island flaps. Clin Plast Surg. 1997;24:33–48.
- Soutar DS, Tanner NS. The radial forearm flap in the management of soft tissue injuries of the hand. Br J Plast Surg. 1984;37:18–26. CrossRef
- Jin YT, Guan WX, Shi TM, Quian YL, Xu LG, Chang TS. Reversed island forearm fascial flap in hand surgery. Ann Plast Surg. 1985;15:340–7. CrossRef
- Bardsley AF, Soutar DS, Elliot D, Batchelor AG. Reducing morbidity in the radial forearm flap donor site. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990;86:287–92. CrossRef
- Meland NB, Core GB, Hoverman VR. The radial forearm flap donor site: should we vein graft the artery? A comparative study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993;91:865–70. CrossRef
- Koshima I, Moriguchi T, Etoh H, Tsuda K, Tanaka H. The radial artery perforator-based adipofascial flap for dorsal hand coverage. Ann Plast Surg. 1995;35:474–9. CrossRef
- Weinzweig N, Chen L, Chen ZW. The distally based radial forearm fasciosubcutaneous flap with preservation of the radial artery: an anatomic and clinical approach. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994;94:675–84. CrossRef
- Jones BM, O’Brien CJ. Acute ischaemia of the hand resulting from elevation of a radial forearm flap. Br J Plast Surg. 1985;38:396–7. CrossRef
- Brenner P, Berger A, Caspary L. Angiologic observations following autologous vein grafting and free radial artery flap elevation. J Reconstr Microsurg. 1988;4:297–301.
- Timmons MJ. The vascular basis of the radial forearm flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986;77:80–92. CrossRef
- Jeng SF, Wei FC. The distally based forearm island flap in hand reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998;102:400–6. CrossRef
- Chang SM. The pedicle of neurocutaneous island flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996;98:374–6. CrossRef
- Bertelli JA, Catarina S. Neurocutaneous island flaps in upper limb coverage: experience with 44 clinical cases. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1997;22:515–26. CrossRef
- Glasson DW, Lovie MJ. The ulnar island flap in hand and forearm reconstruction. Br J Plast Surg. 1988;41:349–53. CrossRef
- Sakai S, Soeda S, Endo T, Shojima M. Distally based ulnar artery island forearm flap for the large defect of the ulnar side of the hand. Ann Plast Surg. 1989;23:266–8. CrossRef
- Bertelli JA, Pagliei A. The neurocutaneous flap based on the dorsal branches of the ulnar artery and nerve: a new flap for extensive reconstruction of the hand. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998;101:1537–43. CrossRef
- Karacalar A, Ozcan M. Preliminary report: the distally pedicled dorsoulnar forearm flap for hand reconstruction. Br J Plast Surg. 1999;52:453–7. CrossRef
- Buchler U, Frey HP. Retrograde posterior interosseous flap. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1991;16:283–92.
- Zancolli EA, Angrigiani C. Posterior interosseous island forearm flap. J Hand Surg [Br]. 1988;13:130–5. CrossRef
- Costa H, Soutar DS. The distally based island posterior interosseous flap. Br J Plast Surg. 1988;41:221–7. CrossRef
- Landi A, Luchetti R, Soragni O, De Santis G, Sacchetti GL. The distally based posterior interosseous island flap for the coverage of skin loss of the hand. Ann Plast Surg. 1991;27:527–36. CrossRef
- Reverse Radial Forearm Fascial Flap With Radial Artery Preservation
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 159-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Forearm fascial
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
- 2. Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, 13400 East Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ, 85259, USA
- 3. Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
- 4. Department of Orthopedic Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
- 5. Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA