On the mathematics of emergence
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe a setting where convergence to consensus in a population of autonomous agents can be formally addressed and prove some general results establishing conditions under which such convergence occurs. Both continuous and discrete time are considered and a number of particular examples, notably the way in which a population of animals move together, are considered as particular instances of our setting.
- R. Agaev and P. Chebotarev, On the spectra of nonsymmetric Laplacian matrices, Linear Algebra Appl., 399 (2005), 157–168. CrossRef
- Y. L. Chuang, Y. R. Huang, M. R. D’Orsogna and A. L. Bertozzi, Multi-vehicle flocking: Scalability of cooperative control algorithms using pairwise potentials, preprint, 2006.
- F. Chung, Spectral Graph Theory, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI., 1997.
- F. Chung, Laplacians and the Cheeger inequality for directed graphs, Ann. Comb., 9 (2005), 1–19. CrossRef
- F. Cucker and S. Smale, Best choices for regularization parameters in learning theory, Found. Comput. Math., 2 (2002), 413–428. CrossRef
- F. Cucker and S. Smale, Emergent behavior in flocks, to appear at IEEE Trans. Automat. Control (2007).
- F. Cucker, S. Smale and D. X. Zhou, Modeling language evolution, Found. Comput. Math., 4 (2004), 315–343. CrossRef
- G. Flierl, D. Grünbaum, S. Levin and D. Olson, From individuals to aggregations: The interplay between behavior and physics, J. Theoret. Biol., 196 (1999), 397–454. CrossRef
- M. Hirsch and S. Smale, Differential equations, dynamical systems, and linear algebra, Pure Appl. Math., 60, Academic Press, 1974.
- A. Jadbabaie, J. Lin and A. S. Morse, Coordination of groups of mobile autonomous agents using nearest neighbor rules, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 48 (2003), 988–1001. CrossRef
- J. Ke, J. Minett, C.-P. Au and W. S.-Y. Wang, Self-organization and selection in the emergence of vocabulary, Complexity, 7 (2002), 41–54. CrossRef
- B. Mohar, The Laplacian spectrum of graphs, In: Graph Theory, Combinatorics, and Applications, (eds. Y. Alavi, G. Chartrand, O. R. Oellermann and A. J. Schwenk), 2, John Wiley & Sons, 1991, pp. 871–898.
- P. Niyogi, The Computational Nature of Language Learning and Evolution, The MIT Press, 2006.
- H. G. Tanner, A. Jadbabaie and G. J. Pappas, Stable flocking of mobile agents, Part I: Fixed topology, In: Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2003, pp. 2010–2015.
- H. G. Tanner, A. Jadbabaie and G. J. Pappas, Stable flocking of mobile agents, Part II: Dynamic topology, In: Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2003, pp. 2016–2021.
- C. M. Topaz, A. L. Bertozzi and M. A. Lewis, A nonlocal continuum model for biological aggregation, Bull. Math. Biol., 68 (2006), 1601–1623. CrossRef
- J. N. Tsitsiklis, Problems in decentralized decision making and computation, PhD thesis, Department of EECS, MIT, 1984.
- J. N. Tsitsiklis, D. P. Bertsekas and M. Athans, Distributed asynchronous deterministic and stochastic gradient optimization algorithms, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 31 (1986), 803–812. CrossRef
- T. Vicsek, A. Czirók, E. Ben-Jacob and O. Shochet, Novel type of phase transition in a system of self-driven particles, Phys. Rev. Lett., 75 (1995), 1226–1229. CrossRef
- On the mathematics of emergence
Japanese Journal of Mathematics
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 197-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- consensus reaching