A Journey to Legitimacy: The Historical Development of Distance Education through Technology
- … show all 0 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Altbach, P. G., Berdahl, R. O., & Gumport, P. J. (1999). American higher education in the twenty-first century. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Berners-Lee, T. (n.d.). The World Wide Web browser. Retrieved November 7, 2006, from http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/WorldWideWeb.html
- Blackboard Inc. (2006). Blackboard Inc. completes merger with WebCT, Inc. Retrieved Nov 1, 2006, from http://investor.blackboard.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=177018&p=irolnewsArticle&ID=822607&highlight=
- Bridgeman, R. (2001). Guglielmo Marconi: Radio star. Physics World. Retrieved February 14, 2006, from http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/14/12/7
- Bruder, I. (1989). Distance learning: What’s holding back this boundless delivery system? Electronic Learning, 8(6), 30–35.
- California Virtual Campus. (n.d.). The CVC catalog. Retrieved September 2, 2006, from http://www.cvc.edu/catalog/content.asp?page=250
- Callas, T. (2006, October 9). Teens podcast a spell over Potter fans online. Retrieved November 1, 2006, from http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061009/news_mz1b9teens.html
- Chronicle of Higher Education. (2000, October). Oxford, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale plan distance-education venture. Retrieved May 5, 2006, from http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i06/06a04803.htm
- Chronicle of Higher Education. (2002, February). United States Open University announces it will close in June. Retrieved January 3, 2007, from http://chronicle.com/free/2002/02/2002020501u.htm
- Erazo, E., & Derlin, R. (1995). Distance learning and libraries in the cyberspace age. Retrieved January 27, 2005, from http://www.checs.net/95conf/PROCEEDINGS/erazo.html
- Garrison, D. R., & Shale, D. (1987). Mapping the boundaries of distance education: Problems in defining the field. The American Journal of Distance Education, 1(1), 5–11.
- Gooch, J. (1998). They blazed a trail for distance education. Retrieved January 3, 2007, from http://www.uwex.edu/disted/gooch.cfm
- Hansen, B. (2001). Distance learning. CQ Researcher, 11(42), 1–24.
- Higher Learning Commission. (2007). Welcome to the Higher Learning Commission home page. Retrieved January 3, 2007, from http://www.ncahlc.org/
- Intel Museum. (2006). Intel’s first microprocessor—the Intel® 4004. Retrieved November 1, 2006, from http://www.intel.com/museum/archives/4004.htm
- Keegan, D. (1988). Problems in defining the field of distance education. The American Journal of Distance Education, 2(2), 4–11.
- Kersey, J. (n.d.). Distance learning: It started earlier than you think. Retrieved November 7, 2006, from http://www.degree.com/articles/distance-learning.htm
- Matthews, D. (1999). The origins of distance education and its use in the United States. T.H.E. Journal, (27)2, 54–59. Retrieved January 26, 2005, from http://www.thejournal.com/magazine/vault/A2222.cfm
- Moore, M. G., & Kearsley, G. (1996). Distance education: A systems view. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Moschovitis, C. J. P., Poole, H., Schuyler, T., & Senft, T. M. (1999). What does a network do? 1970–1978. Retrieved November 6, 2006, from http://www.historyoftheinternet.com/chap3.html
- Open University Worldwide. (2005). Background information. Retrieved December 12, 2005, from http://www.open.ac.uk
- Public Broadcasting Service. (2003). Distance learning week – Timeline: An overview. Retrieved October 27, 2003, from http://www.pbs.org/als/dlweek/history/index.html
- Russell, T. (2001). The no significant difference phenomenon as reported in 355 research reports, summaries, and papers: A comparative research annotated bibliography on technology for distance education. Raleigh, NC: Office of Instructional Telecommunications, North Carolina State University.
- Ryman, A. (2006, January 9). If you can’t beat’em, join’em. The Desert Sun, p. E3.
- Schlosser, C. A., & Anderson, M. L. (1994). Distance education: Review of the literature. (Report No. ISBN-0-89240-071-4). Ames, IA: Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Research Institute for Studies in Education. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service ED 382 159)
- Souder, W. (1993). The effectiveness of traditional vs. satellite delivery in three management of technology master’s degree programs. The American Journal of Distance Education, 7(1), 37–53. CrossRef
- U. S. General Accounting Office. (2004). Distance education: Improved data on program costs and guidelines on quality assessments needed to inform federal policy. Retrieved October 15, 2006, from http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04279.pdf
- Walther, J. B., Anderson, J. F., & Park, W. D. (1994). Interpersonal effects in computermediated communication. Communication Research, 21(4), 460–487. CrossRef
- A Journey to Legitimacy: The Historical Development of Distance Education through Technology
Volume 52, Issue 2 , pp 45-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links