Quality of Life, Anxiety and Depression in Soft Tissue Sarcomas as Compared to More Common Tumours: An Observational Study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aim of this study is to compare the quality of life and the levels of anxiety and depression in a relatively large group of subjects undergoing chemotherapy for soft tissue sarcoma and a control group of subjects undergoing chemotherapy for the most common types of cancer. 56 soft tissue sarcoma affected patients and 56 patients with common tumours, homogeneous in regards to stages of disease and sociodemographic characteristics, were enrolled in two oncological centres in Turin, Italy. Quality of life was assessed by Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General and anxiety and depression by Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. All patients had ongoing chemotherapy. The comparison between the two groups shows no difference in either quality of life or in anxiety and depression. There are instead gender differences, since females in the group of common tumours show higher levels of anxiety in comparison to those affected by sarcomas, while males show, at a lower degree, the opposite trend. This study suggest that levels of Quality of Life, anxiety and depression are similar in rare and common tumours. The majority of patients are able to cope with the disease in an adaptive manner. However, for some patients the disease poses a threat to their physical and mental integrity; psychological support of these patients may reduce the development of significant morbidity and help patients to better manage the course of the disease and the effects of the treatment.
- Aksnes, L., Hall, K., Jebsen, N., Fossa, S., & Dahl, A. (2007). Young survivors of malignant bone tumours in the extremities: a comparative study of quality of life, fatigue and mental distress. Supportive Care in Cancer, 15(9), 1087–1096. CrossRef
- Bonomi, A. E., Cella, D. F., Hahn, E. A., Bjordal, K., Sperner-Unterweger, B., Gangeri, L., et al. (1996). Multilingual translation of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy (FACT) quality of life measurement system. Quality of Life Research, 5(3), 309–320. CrossRef
- Cella, D. F., Tulsky, D. S., Gray, G., Sarafian, B., Linn, E., Bonomi, A., et al. (1993). The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: developement and validation of the general measure. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 11(3), 570–579.
- Clark, A. M., Fisher, C., Judson, I., & Thomas, J. M. (2005). Soft tissue sarcomas in adults. The New England Journal of Medicine, 353(7), 701–711. CrossRef
- Costantini, M., Musso, M., Viterbori, P., Bonci, F., Del Mastro, L., Garrone, O., et al. (1999). Detecting psychological distress in cancer patients: validity of the Italian version of the hospital anxiety and depression scale. Supportive Care in Cancer, 7(3), 121–127. CrossRef
- Crawford, J. R., Henry, J. D., Crombie, C., & Taylor, E. P. (2001). Normative data for the HADS from a large non-clinical sample. The British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 40(Pt 4), 429–434. CrossRef
- Eiser, C., & Grimer, R. J. (1999). Quality of life in survivors of a primary bone tumour: a systematic review. Sarcoma, 3(3–4), 183–190. CrossRef
- Felder-Puig, R., Formann, A. K., Mildner, A., Bretschneider, W., Bucher, B., Windhager, R., et al. (1998). Quality of life and psychosocial adjustment of young patients after treatment of bone cancer. Cancer, 83(1), 69–75. CrossRef
- Fletcher, C. D. M., Unni, K. K., & Mertens, F. (2002). Pathology and genetics of tumours of soft tissue and bone. Vol. 5 of World Health Organization classification of tumours. Lyon: IARC Press.
- Jemal, A., Tiwari, R. C., Murray, T., Ghafoor, A., Samuels, A., Ward, E., et al. (2004). American cancer society: cancer statistics, 2004. CA: a Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 54(1), 8–29. CrossRef
- Karavasilis, V., Seddon, B. M., Ashley, S., Al-Muderis, O., Fisher, C., & Judson, I. (2008). Significant clinical benefit of first-line palliative chemotherapy in advanced soft-tissue sarcoma: retrospective analysis and identification of prognostic factors in 488 patients. Cancer, 112(7), 1585–1591. CrossRef
- Leahy, M., Garcia Del Muro, X., Reichardt, P., Judson, I., Staddon, A., Verweij, J., et al. (2012). Chemotherapy treatment patterns and clinical outcomes in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. The SArcoma treatment and Burden of Illness in North America and Europe (SABINE) study. Annals of Oncology, 23(10), 2763–2770. CrossRef
- Minchom, A., Jones, R. L., Fisher, C., Al-Muderis, O., Ashley, S., Scurr, M., et al. (2010). Clinical benefit of second-line palliative chemotherapy in advanced soft-tissue sarcoma. Sarcoma, 2010, 264360. CrossRef
- Paredes, T., Canavarro, M. C., & Simões, M. R. (2011). Anxiety and depression in sarcoma patients: emotional adjustment and its determinants in the different phases of disease. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 15(1), 73–79. CrossRef
- Paredes, T., Pereira, M., Simões, M. R., & Canavarro, M. C. (2012). A longitudinal study on emotional adjustment of sarcoma patients: the determinant role of demographic, clinical and coping variables. European Journal of Cancer Care, 21(1), 41–51. CrossRef
- Parker, A. P., Baile, W. F., De Moor, C., & Cohen, L. (2003). Psychosocial and demographic predictors of quality of life in a large sample of cancer patients. Psycho-Oncology, 12(2), 183–193. CrossRef
- Quelhas, R., & Costa, M. (2009). Anxiety, depression, and quality of life in Parkinson’s disease. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 21(4), 413–419. CrossRef
- Saevardottir, T., Fridriksdottir, N., & Gunnanrsdottir, S. (2010). Quality of life and symptoms of anxiety and depression of patients receiving cancer chemiotherapy: longitudinal study. Cancer Nursing, 33(1), E1–E10. CrossRef
- Siddiqi, A., Given, C. W., Given, B., & Sikoroskii, A. (2009). Quality of life among patients with primary, metastatic and recurrent cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care, 18(1), 84–96. CrossRef
- Smith, A. B., Wright, P., Selby, P. J., & Velikova, G. (2007). A Rasch and factor analysis of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G). Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 20, 5–19.
- Snaith, R. P., & Zigmond, A. S. (1994). HADS: Hospital anxiety and depression scale. Windsor: NFER Nelson.
- Zigmond, A. S., & Snaith, R. P. (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 67, 165–169. CrossRef
- Quality of Life, Anxiety and Depression in Soft Tissue Sarcomas as Compared to More Common Tumours: An Observational Study
Applied Research in Quality of Life
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Rare tumours
- Quality of life
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mental Health Department, San Luigi Medical School, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043, Orbassano (TO), Italy
- 2. Medical Oncology, San Luigi Medical School, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043, Orbassano (TO), Italy
- 3. Oncology Unit Gradenigo Hospital, Corso Regina Margherita 8, 10153, Turin, Italy
- 4. SSF Rebaudengo, Faculty of Science Education, Pontificia Studiorum Universitas Salesiana, Turin, Italy