Opendra “Bill” Narayan (1936–2007): A Personal Tribute to a Friend, Teacher, and Colleague
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Globally renowned HIV researcher Opendra “Bill” Narayan, of the University of Kansas Medical Center, died unexpectedly at the age of 71. Bill, a veterinarian and virologist, obtained fame over a decade ago after creating a type of HIV that resulted in a disease in monkeys that resembled AIDS in humans. His outstanding accomplishments and contributions in the field were a testimony to the Pioneer Award in neurovirology that he received in 2006. Reflections from his past trainees about his mentoring and teaching skills and their interactions with him are a small tribute to this larger than life legend.
Opendra “Bill” Narayan, an internationally recognized scientist and pioneer in AIDS research, died on December 24, 2007 at the age of 71. For those people in so many fields who knew him, his death has left a large void.
Born in Essequibo, Guyana in November 1936, Bill developed a fascination for natural sciences from an early age, and this attraction led him to pursue a career in science. He ...
- Opendra “Bill” Narayan (1936–2007): A Personal Tribute to a Friend, Teacher, and Colleague
Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 1-4
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, 5000 Wahl Hall East, Mail Stop 3029, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS, 66160, USA
- 2. Department of Pathobiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
- 3. Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
- 4. Department of Comparative Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 5. Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA