Relationship between Arctic Oscillation and Pacific Decadal Oscillation on decadal timescale
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The relationship between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and the Arctic Oscillation (AO) on decadal timescale in the extended winter (November–March) is investigated in this study. The results indicate that AO plays an important role in the low frequency variability of PDO. When AO leads PDO by 7–8 years, the lagging correlation between them becomes the strongest with correlation coefficient 0.77. The leading decadal variability of AO pro-vides a valuably precursory signal for predicting the variability of PDO. The results of regression and lagging correlation reveal the possible mechanism for the AO-PDO coupling: A strong AO would lead to an enhanced Aleutian Low that is linked to PDO by ocean-atmosphere interaction in the North Pacific, and vice versa.
- Zhang, R. H., Levitus, S., Structure and cycle of decadal variability of upper-ocean temperature in the North Pacific, J. Climate, 1997, 10: 710–727.
- Giese, B. S., Carton, J. A., Interannual and decadal variability in the tropical and midlatitude Pacific Ocean, J. Climate, 1999, 12: 3402–3418. CrossRef
- Barlow, M., Nigam, A.S., Berbery, E. H., ENSO, Pacific decadal variability, and U.S. summertime precipitation, drought, and stream flow, J. Climate, 2001, 14: 2105–2128. CrossRef
- Yang, H. J., Zhang, Q., On the decadal and interdecadal variability in the Pacific Ocean, Adv. Atmos. Sci., 2003, 20(2): 173–184.
- Li, C. Y., Xian, P., Atmospheric anomalies related to interdecadal variability of SST in the North Pacific, Adv. Atmos. Sci., 2003, 20(6): 859–874.
- Mantua, N. J., Hare, S. R., Zhang, Y. et al., A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production, Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 1997, 78: 1069–1079.
- Zhu, Y. M., Yang, X. Q., Relationships between Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and Climate variabilities in China, Acta Meteo-rologica Sinica (in Chinese), 2003, 61(6): 641–654.
- Power, S. B., Casey, T., Folland, C. et al., Inter-decadal modulation of the impact of ENSO on Australia, Clim. Dyn., 1999, 15: 319–324. CrossRef
- Yeh, S. W., Kirtman, B. P., On the relationship between the inter-annual and decadal SST variability in the North Pacific and tropical Pacific Ocean, J. Geophys. Res., 2003, 108(D11), 4344, doi: 10.1029/2022JD002817. CrossRef
- Newman, M., Compo, G. P., Alexander, M. A., ENSO-forced variability of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, J. Climate, 2003, 16: 3853–3857. CrossRef
- Latif, M., Barnett, T. P., Causes of decadal climate variability over the North Pacific and North America: Dynamics and predictability, J. Climate, 1996, 9: 2407–2423. CrossRef
- Seager, R., Kushnir, Y., Naik, N. et al., Wind-driven shifts in the latitude of the Kuroshio-Oyashio Extension and generation of SST anomalies on decadal timescales, J. Climate, 2001, 14: 4249–4265.
- Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1998, 25: 1297–1300.
- Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., Annular modes in the extratropical circulation, Part I: Month-to-month variability, J. Climate, 2000, 13: 1000–1016.
- Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., Regional climate impacts of the Northern Hemisphere annular mode, Science, 2001, 293: 85–89.
- Gong, D. Y., Wang, S. W., Zhu J. H., East Asian winter monsoon and Arctic Oscillation, Geophy. Res. Lett., 2001, 28: 2073–2076. CrossRef
- Overland, J. E., Adams, J. M., Bond, N. A., Decadal variability of the Aleutian Low and its relation to high-latitude circulation, J. Climate, 1999, 12: 1542–1548. CrossRef
- Kalnay, E., Kanamitsu, M., Kistler, R. et al., The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project, Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 1996, 77: 437–470.
- Zhang, Y., Wallace, J. M., Battisti, D. S., ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–1993, J. Climate, 1997, 10: 1004–1020.
- Trenberth, K. E., Hurrell, J. W., Decadal atmosphere-ocean variations in the Pacific, Clim. Dyn., 1994, 9: 303–319. CrossRef
- Relationship between Arctic Oscillation and Pacific Decadal Oscillation on decadal timescale
Chinese Science Bulletin
Volume 51, Issue 1 , pp 75-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Science in China Press
- Additional Links
- Pacific Decadal Oscillation
- Arctic Oscillation
- Aleutian Low
- Industry Sectors