History of science, physics, and art: a complex approach in Brazilian syllabuses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is about new contents that can be introduced into science education. It is a description of an experience aimed at introducing a complex approach into the final grade of a Brazilian elementary school. The aim is to show the transformation of the conception of space and time from the Middle Ages with the physics of Aristotle to the 20th century, when a new conception arose with the physics of Einstein. These changes were accompanied by new visions of space and time in both physics and arts. Comparison between these two expressions of human culture is used to introduce science as a human construct inserted into history.
- Braga, M., Guerra, A., Reis, J. C., & Freitas, J. (1999). Newton e o triunfo do mecanicismo. São Paulo: Atual.
- Braga, M., Reis, J. C., Guerra, A., & Freitas, J. (2000). Einstein e o universo relativístico. São Paulo: Atual.
- Edgerton, S. Y, Jr. (1993). The heritage of Giotto’s geometry, art and science on the eve of the scientific revolution. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Fleck, L. (1981). Genesis and development of a scientific fact. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Galison, P. (2003). Einstein’s clocks, Poincare’s maps: Empires of time. New York: Norton.
- Geertz, C. (1973). The interpretation of cultures. New York: Basic Books.
- Guerra, A., Braga, M., & Reis, J. C. (2012). History, philosophy and science in a social perspective: A pedagogical project, in Science and Education, online first, Springer: Dordrecht. doi: 10.1007/s11191-012-9501-5.
- Guerra, A., Braga, M., Reis, J. C., & Freitas, J. (1997). Galileu e o nascimento da ciência moderna. São Paulo: Atual.
- Kuhn, T. (1996). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. CrossRef
- Morin, E. (2005). Introduction à la pensée complexe. Paris: Seuil.
- Shlain, L. (1991). Art and physics: Parallel visions in space, time and light. New York: Quill William Morrow.
- Snow, C. P. (1993). The two cultures. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Villani, A., Freitas, D., & Brasilis, R. (2009). Professor pesquisador: o caso Rosa. Ciência & Educação, 15(3), 479–496.
- Wells, H. G. (1992). The time machine, Scholastic. New York: Tor Books.
- History of science, physics, and art: a complex approach in Brazilian syllabuses
Cultural Studies of Science Education
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 725-736
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- History of science
- Physics and art
- Complex syllabuses
- Cultural approaches