Spore and the sociocultural moment
- W. Max Meyer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Analyses of the game Spore have centered on the important issues of accuracy of evolution content and engendering interest in science. This paper suggests that examination of the degree of scaffolding necessary to use the game in pedagogy is a missing part of the discussion, and then questions the longevity of the Spore discussion relative to the general dissatisfaction with the science presented in the game. The paper proposes that analysis of Spore and other technological tools in science education may be embedded in an historical moment which directs the discussion towards satisfying sociocultural and organizational needs and away from pedagogical ones.
- Ballard, C. (Director). (1983). Never cry wolf [Film]. Burbank: Walt Disney Pictures.
- Bean, T, Sinatra, G, Schrader, P (2010) Spore: Spawning evolutionary misconceptions?. Journal of Science Education and Technology 19: pp. 409-414 CrossRef
- Bohannon, J (2008) Flunking spore. Science 322: pp. 531b CrossRef
- Bourdieu, P (1977) Outline of a theory of practice. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England
- Brown, R (2004) Consideration of the origin of Herbert Simon’s theory of “Satisficing” (1933–1947). Management Decision 42: pp. 1240-1256 CrossRef
- Cavanagh, S. (2009). Education week. Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2009/01/21/03spore.h02.html.
- Culp, K, Honey, M, Mandinach, E (2005) A retrospective on twenty years of education technology policy. Journal of Educational Computing Research 32: pp. 279-307 CrossRef
- Goffman, E (1974) Frame analysis. Northeastern University Press, Boston, MA
- Kruckeberg, R (2006) A Deweyan perspective on science education: Constructivism, experience, and why we learn science. Science & Education 15: pp. 1-30 CrossRef
- Learning science through computer games and simulations. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC
- Niccol, A. (Director and Writer). (1997). Gattaca [Film]. Culver City: Columbia Pictures.
- Robertson, M. (2008). The creation simulation. Seed. Retrieved from http://seedmagazine.com/news/2008/09/the_creation_simulation.php.
- Simon, H (1956) Rational choice and the structure of the environment. Psychological Review 63: pp. 129-138 CrossRef
- Spore and the sociocultural moment
Cultural Studies of Science Education
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 873-881
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Games and learning
- Intelligent design
- W. Max Meyer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, New York University, New York, NY, USA