Globalisation and schooling: equity and access issues
- Joseph Zajda
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This review essay focuses on the prominence given to globalisation and discourses of globalisation in education reforms and pedagogy, as well as the way conceptual thinking in this area has changed and developed, due to competing ideologies, forces of globalisation and political, economic and cultural transformations. It analyses and evaluates the shifts in methodological approaches to globalisation and its effects on education policy and pedagogy. It focuses on forces of globalisation, ideology, social inequality and implications for equity and access to quality education.
- Appadurai, A. (1990). Disjuncture and difference in the global cultural economy. Theory Culture and Society, 7, 295–310. CrossRef
- Apple, M. W. (2004). Ideology and curriculum. New York: Routledge Falmer.
- Biraimah, K., Gaudelli, W., & Zajda, J. (2008). Education and social inequality in the global culture. In J. Zajda, B. Biraimah, & W. Gaudelli (Eds.), Education and social inequality in the global culture (pp. xvii–xxvii). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Bourdieu, P. (1986). The forms of capital. In J. G. Richardson (Ed.), Handbook of theory and research for the sociology of education (pp. 241–258). New York: Greenwood Press.
- Carnoy, M. (1999). Globalization and educational reform: What planners need to know. Paris: UNESCO, International Institute for Education Planning.
- Dervis, K. (2007). Inclusive globalization. In United Nations Development Programme Annual Report. Making globalization work for all. New York: UNESCO.
- Dorius, S. (2006). Rates, shares, gaps and ginis: Are women catching up with men worldwide. Draft report. Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University.
- King, E. (2005). Social class and children’s lives. In J. Zajda (Ed.), Education and society (pp. 71–83). Melbourne: James Nicholas Publishers.
- Milanovic, B. (1999). True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993—First calculations, based on household surveys alone. Policy research working paper series, 2244. New York: The World Bank.
- Milanovic, B. (2002). True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alone. Economic Journal, 112, 51–92. CrossRef
- Nisbet, R. (1971). The degradation of the academic dogma. London: Heinemann.
- OECD. (2001). Education policy analysis. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. (2006). Education policy analysis: Focus on higher education. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. (2007). Education at a glance. OECD indicators. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. (2008). Education at a glance 2008: OECD indicators. Paris: OECD. CrossRef
- PISA. (2006). Science competencies for tomorrow’s world. Volume I: Analysis. Paris: OECD. http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/15/13/39725224.pdf, accessed January 12, 2010.
- Polesel, J. (2005). Gender, ethnicity and mathematics: The experience of Greek girls in an Australian high school. In J. Zajda (Ed.), Education and society (pp. 71–83). Melbourne: James Nicholas Publishers.
- Robertson, S., Bonal, X., & Dale, R. (2002). GATS and the education service industry: The politics of scale and global re-territorialisation. Comparative Education Review, 43, 472–496. CrossRef
- Soudien, C., & Kallaway, P. (1999). Education, equity and transformation. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- United Nations Human Development Report (1999). New York: Oxford University Press. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/hdr_1999_front.pdf. Accessed January 12, 2010.
- United Nations Development Programme Annual Report. (2007). Making globalization work for all. New York: UNESCO.
- Zajda, J. (2005). The international handbook of globalisation and education policy research. Dordrecht: Springer. CrossRef
- Zajda, J. (2010). Globalisation and global pedagogy. In J. Zajda (Ed.), Global pedagogies. Dordrecht: Springer. CrossRef
- Zajda, J., Biraimah, B., & Gaudelli, W. (Eds.). (2008). Education and social inequality in the global culture. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Zajda, J., Majhanovich, S., & Rust, V. (Eds.). (2006). Education and social justice. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Globalisation and schooling: equity and access issues
Cultural Studies of Science Education
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 143-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Joseph Zajda (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia