Groin Pain after Metal on Metal Hip Resurfacing: Mid-Term Follow-Up of a Prospective Cohort of Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background and Purpose:
Groin pain after metal on metal hip resurfacing has been previously reported. The purpose of this study was to determine the natural history of a cohort of patients with groin pain after hip resurfacing previously reported on and incidence of revision surgery.
Our group previously reported an 18% incidence of groin pain at a mean of 18 months post hip resurfacing. This cohort of groin pain patients was prospectively followed. Patients were evaluated using a visual analog pain rating score, the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) Physical Activity Index, and the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis (WOMAC) Index. Functional outcome scores were compared from initial to latest follow up using the paired Student’s t test. Further diagnostic evaluation and/or intervention or other complication was also recorded.
The latest mean follow up from surgery was 63 ± 15 months. The mean pain rating, UCLA, and WOMAC scores all improved at latest follow up, although WOMAC score improvement was not statistically significant. Mean pain rating score improved from 5.2 ± 2.0 to 2.5 ± 1.4 (p = 0.0001). UCLA activity score improved from 6.4 ± 2.0 to 6.9 ± 1.6 (p = 0.03). Total WOMAC score improved from 75.6 ± 20.5 to 84.5 ± 14.8 (p = 0.15). Only one patient was revised for an adverse local tissue reaction.
Groin pain post hip resurfacing has a multifactorial etiology, and in the vast majority of cases improves over time with no significant functional limitations. However, the surgeon should be aware of the many potential causes, and help minimize the possibility with proper patient selection and surgical technique.
- Amstutz HC, Le Duff MJ, Campbell AP, Wisk LE, Takamura KM. Complications after metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty. Clin Orthop N Am. 2011;42:207-230. CrossRef
- Bartelt RB, Yuan BJ, Trousdale RT, Sierra RJ. The prevalence of groin pain after metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty and total hip resurfacing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:2346-56. CrossRef
- Beaule PE. A survey on the prevalence of pseudotumors with metal-on-metal hip resurfacing in Canadian academic centers. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93 Suppl 2:118-121. CrossRef
- Beaule PE, Harvey N, Zaragoza E, et al. The femoral head/neck offset and hip resurfacing. J Bone Joint Surg Br. Jan 2007;89(1):9-15. CrossRef
- Beaule PE, Matar WY, Poitras P, et al. 2008 Otto Aufranc Award: component design and technique affect cement penetration in hip resurfacing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jan 2009;467(1):84-93. CrossRef
- Bin Nasser A, Beaule PE, O’Neill M, Kim PR, Fazekas A. Incidence of groin pain after metal-on-metal hip resurfacing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:392-9. CrossRef
- Cushner F, Agnelli G, FitzGerald G, Warwick D. Complications and functional outcomes after total hip arthroplasty and total knee arthroplasty: results from the Global Orthopaedic Registry (GLORY). Am J Orthop. 2010;39(9 Suppl):22-28.
- Della Valle CJ, Nunley Rm, Raterman SJ, Barrack RL. Initial American experience with hip resurfacing following FDA approval. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:72-78. CrossRef
- Della Valle CJ, Rafii M, Jaffe WL. Iliopsoas tendinitis after total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. Oct 2001;16(7):923-6. CrossRef
- Heaton K, Dorr LD. Surgical release of iliopsoas tendon for groin pain after total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. Sep 2002;17cis6):779-81. CrossRef
- Hing CB, Young DA, Dalziel RE, Bailey M, Back DL, Shimmin AJ. Narrowing of the neck in resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip: a radiological study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;899(8):1019-24.
- Kim PR, Beaule PE, Laflamme GY, Dunbar M. Causes of early failure in a multicenter clinical trial of hip resurfacing. J Arthroplasty. Sep 2008;23(6 Suppl 1):44-9.
- Kwon YM, Ostlere SJ, McLardy-Smith P, Athanasou NA, Gill HS, Murray DW. “Asymptomatic” psuedotumors after metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty: prevalence and metal ion study. J Arthoplasty. 2011;26(4):511-8. CrossRef
- Lavigne M, Laffosse JM, Ganapathi M, Girard J, Vendittoli P. Residual groin pain at a minimum of two years after metal-on-metal THA with a twenty-eight-millimeter femoral head, THA with a large-diameter femoral head, and hip resurfacing. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93 Suppl 2:93-8. CrossRef
- Lavigne M, Rama KR, Roy A, Vendittoli PA. Painful impingement of the hip joint after total hip resurfacing: a report of two cases. J Arthroplasty. 2008 Oct;23(7):1074-9. CrossRef
- Lilikakis AK, Vowler SL, Villar RN. Hydroxy-apatite-coated femoral implant in metal-on-metal resurfacing hip arthroplasty: minimum of two years follow-up. Orthop Clin N Am. 2005;36:215-222. CrossRef
- Malviya A, Holland JP. Pseudotumors associated with metal-on-metal hip resurfacing: 10-year Newcastle experience. Acta Orthop Belg. 2009;75(4):477-83.
- Morlock MM, Bishop N, Ruther W, et al. Biomechanical, morphological, and histological analysis of early failures in hip resurfacing arthroplasty. Proc Inst Mech Eng [H]. Feb 2006;220(2):333-44. CrossRef
- Nikolaou VS, Bergeron SG, Huk OL, Zukor DV, Antoniou J. Evaluation of persistent pain after hip resurfacing. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2009;67(2):168-72.
- O’Neill M, Beaule PE, Bin Nasser A, Garbuz D, Lavigne M, Duncan CP, Kim PR, Schemitsch E. Canadian academic experience with metal-on-metal hip resurfacing. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2009;67:128-131.
- O‘Sullivan M, Tai CC, Richards S, Skyrme AD, Walter WL, Walter WK. Iliopsoas tendonitis a complication after total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. Feb 2007;22(2):166-70. CrossRef
- Pandit H, Glyn-Jones S, McLardy-Smith P, et al. Pseudotumours associated with metal-on-metal hip resurfacings. J Bone Joint Surg Br. Jul 2008;90(7):847-51. CrossRef
- Shimmin AJ, Beaule PE, Campbell PA. Current concepts: metal on metal hip resurfacing. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:637-654. CrossRef
- Soderman P, Malchau H, Herberts P, Zugner R, Regner H, Garellick G. Outcome after total hip arthroplasty. Part II. Disease-specific follow-up and the Swedish National Total Hip Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop Scand. 2001;72(2):113-119. CrossRef
- Trousdale RT, Cabanela ME, Berry DJ. Anterior iliopsoas impingement after total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. Aug 1995;10(4):546-9. CrossRef
- Wank R, Miller TT, Shapiro JF. Sonographically guided injection of anesthetic for iliopsoas tendinopathy after total hip arthroplasty. J Clin Ultrasound. Sep 2004;32(7):354-7. CrossRef
- Groin Pain after Metal on Metal Hip Resurfacing: Mid-Term Follow-Up of a Prospective Cohort of Patients
HSS Journal ®
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 257-261
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- hip resurfacing
- groin pain