Churg–Strauss Syndrome with Eosinophilic Myocarditis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An 85-year-old Chinese woman with a 4-year history of asthma presented with a severe headache for 1 week and substernal chest pain for 1 day.
Seven days prior to presentation, the patient was seen by her primary care physician for evaluation of a new-onset severe headache; she was prescribed an unknown dose of ibuprofen, which she took for 2 days before developing facial swelling and hives. The facial swelling and rash resolved shortly after discontinuing ibuprofen, but the headache continued. Two days prior to presentation, the patient went to the emergency room because of her headache; a non-contrast head computed tomography (CT) scan was negative and she was discharged without further workup. Two days later, the patient developed substernal chest pain. She returned to the emergency room and was admitted for further evaluation.
On admission, the patient reported frontal and temporal headache without nausea or photosensitivity. She also complained of grad
- Bhagirath KM, Paulson K, Ahmadie R, Bhalla RS, Robinson D, Jassal DS. Clinical utility of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in Churg–Strauss syndrome: case report and review of the literature. Rheumatol Int 2009;29:445–9. CrossRef
- Blanchard C, Rothenberg ME. Biology of the eosinophil. Adv Immunol 2009;101:81–121. CrossRef
- Cartin-Ceba R, Keogh KA, Specks U, Sethi S, Fervenza FC. Rituximab for the treatment of Churg–Strauss syndrome with renal involvement. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2011; 26:2865–71. CrossRef
- Churg J, Strauss L. Allergic granulomatosis, allergic angiitis, and periarteritis nodosa. Am J Pathol 1951;27:277–301.
- Cools J, DeAngelo DJ, Gotlib J, et al. A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1201–14. CrossRef
- Donvik KK, Omdal R. Churg–Strauss syndrome successfully treated with rituximab. Rheumatol Int 2009;31:89–91. CrossRef
- Gotlib J. Eosinophilic myeloid disorders: new classification and novel therapeutic strategies. Curr Opin Hematol 2010;17:117–24. CrossRef
- Greenan TJ, Grossman RI, Goldberg HI. Cerebral vasculitis: MR imaging and angiographic correlation. Radiology 1992;182:65–72.
- Guillevin L, Cohen P, Mahr A, et al. Treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and microscopic polyangiitis with poor prognosis factors: a prospective trial comparing glucocorticoids and six or twelve cyclophosphamide pulses in sixty-five patients. Arthritis Rheum 2003;49:93–100. CrossRef
- Guillevin L, Lhote F, Gayraud M, et al. Prognostic factors in polyarteritis nodosa and Churg–Strauss syndrome. A prospective study in 342 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 1996;75:17–28. CrossRef
- Heiserman JE, Drayer BP, Keller PJ, Fram EK. Intracranial vascular stenosis and occlusion: evaluation with three-dimensional time-of-flight MR 12. angiography. Radiology 1992;185:667–73.
- Hogan SP, Rosenberg HF, Moqbel R, et al. Eosinophils: biological properties and role in health and disease. Clin Exp Allergy 2008;38:709–50. CrossRef
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Andrassy K, et al. Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides. Proposal of an international consensus conference. Arthritis Rheum 1994;37:187–92. CrossRef
- Kahn JE, Grandpeix-Guyodo C, Marroun I, et al. Sustained response to mepolizumab in refractory Churg–Strauss syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;125:267–70. CrossRef
- Kim S, Marigowda G, Oren E, Israel E, Wechsler ME. Mepolizumab as a steroid-sparing treatment option in patients with Churg–Strauss syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;125:1336–43. CrossRef
- Lanham JG, Elkon KB, Pusey CD, Hughes GR. Systemic vasculitis with asthma and eosinophilia: a clinical approach to the Churg–Strauss syndrome. Medicine (Baltimore) 1984;63:65–81.
- Masi AT, Hunder GG, Lie JT, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of Churg–Strauss syndrome (allergic granulomatosis and angiitis). Arthritis Rheum 1990;33:1094–100. CrossRef
- Metzgeroth G, Walz C, Erben P, et al. Safety and efficacy of imatinib in chronic eosinophilic leukaemia and hypereosinophilic syndrome: a phase-II study. Br J Haematol 2008;143:707–15. CrossRef
- Nair P, Pizzichini MM, Kjarsgaard M, et al. Mepolizumab for prednisone-dependent asthma with sputum eosinophilia. N Engl J Med 2009;360:985–93. CrossRef
- Pagnoux C, Guilpain P, Guillevin L. Churg–Strauss syndrome. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2007;19:25–32. CrossRef
- Ribi C, Cohen P, Pagnoux C, et al. Treatment of Churg–Strauss syndrome without poor-prognosis factors: a multicenter, prospective, randomized, open-label study of seventy-two patients. Arthritis Rheum 2008;58:586–94. CrossRef
- Rothenberg ME, Klion AD, Roufosse FE, et al. Treatment of patients with the hypereosinophilic syndrome with mepolizumab. N Engl J Med 2008;358:1215–28. CrossRef
- Sable-Fourtassou R, Cohen P, Mahr A, et al. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and the Churg–Strauss syndrome. Ann Intern Med 2005;143:632–8.
- Saech J, Owczarczyk K, Rosgen S, Petereit H, Hallek M, Rubbert-Roth A. Successful use of rituximab in a patient with Churg–Strauss syndrome and refractory central nervous system involvement. Ann Rheum Dis 2010;69:1254–5. CrossRef
- Sehgal M, Swanson JW, DeRemee RA, Colby TV. Neurologic manifestations of Churg–Strauss syndrome. Mayo Clin Proc 1995;70:337–41. CrossRef
- Sinico RA, Di Toma L, Maggiore U, et al. Prevalence and clinical significance of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in Churg–Strauss syndrome. Arthritis Rheum 2005;52:2926–35. CrossRef
- Stock KW, Radue EW, Jacob AL, Bao XS, Steinbrich W. Intracranial arteries: prospective blinded comparative study of MR angiography and DSA in 50 patients. Radiology 1995;195:451–6.
- Wadleigh M, Tefferi A. Classification and diagnosis of myeloproliferative neoplasms according to the 2008 World Health Organization criteria. Int J Hematol 2010;91:174–9. CrossRef
- Zwerina J, Axmann R, Jatzwauk M, Sahinbegovic E, Polzer K, Schett G. Pathogenesis of Churg–Strauss syndrome: recent insights. Autoimmunity 2009;42:376–9. CrossRef
- Churg–Strauss Syndrome with Eosinophilic Myocarditis
HSS Journal ®
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 313-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Churg–Strauss Syndrome
- eosinophilic myocarditis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Rheumatology, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
- 2. Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 10065, USA
- 3. Department of Radiology, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
- 4. Department of Pathology, Weill-Cornell Medical College–New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, 10065, USA
- 5. Division of Cardiology, Weill-Cornell Medical College–New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, 10065, USA