Date: 03 Jul 2012
The State of the Science in the Prevention and Management of Osteoarthritis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This executive summary was produced by the American Journal of Nursing (AJN), which is publishing it in its March 2012 issue. For access to all of the articles in this special AJN supplement on osteoarthritis, go to www.AJNonline.com.
Reprinted with permission from American Journal of Nursing, 112(3), S3–11, 2012.
- Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation—United States, 2003–2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 55: pp. 1089-92
- Lawrence, RC (2008) Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II. Arthritis Rheum 58: pp. 26-35 CrossRef
- Hootman, JM, Helmick, CG (2006) Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations. Arthritis Rheum 54: pp. 226-9 CrossRef
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. HCUPnet. National and regional estimates on hospital use for all patients from the HCUP nationwide inpatient sample (NIS). National statistics—principle procedure only. ICD-9-CM 81.54 and 81.51. 2011. http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov.
- Yelin, E (2007) Medical care expenditures and earnings losses among persons with arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in 2003, and comparisons with 1997. Arthritis Rheum 56: pp. 1397-407 CrossRef
- Jones JM. Record 64 % rate honesty, ethics of members of Congress low. Ratings of nurses, pharmacists, and medical doctors most positive [press release]. Gallup.com 2011. http://www.gallup.com/poll/151460/Record-Rate-Honesty- Ethics-Members-Congress-Low.aspx.
- Porcheret, M (2007) Treatment of knee pain in older adults in primary care: development of an evidence-based model of care. Rheumatology (Oxford) 46: pp. 638-48 CrossRef
- Hill, J (2009) Do OA patients gain additional benefit from care from a clinical nurse specialist?—a randomized clinical trial. Rheumatology (Oxford) 48: pp. 658-64 CrossRef
- McDonald, DD, Fedo, J (2009) Older adults’ pain communication: the effect of interruption. Pain Manag Nurs 10: pp. 149-53 CrossRef
- Puenpatom, RA, Victor, TW (2009) Increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome in individuals with osteoarthritis: an analysis of NHANES III data. Postgrad Med 121: pp. 9-20 CrossRef
- Sowers, M (2009) Knee osteoarthritis in obese women with cardiometabolic clustering. Arthritis Rheum 61: pp. 1328-36 CrossRef
- Allen, KD (2010) Racial differences in osteoarthritis pain and function: potential explanatory factors. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18: pp. 160-7 CrossRef
- Altman, R (1986) Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee of the American Rheumatism Association. Arthritis Rheum 29: pp. 1039-49 CrossRef
- Recommendations for the medical management of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee: 2000 update. Arthritis Rheum 43: pp. 1905-15 CrossRef
- Fransen, M, McConnell, S (2009) Land-based exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. J Rheumatol 36: pp. 1109-17 CrossRef
- Fransen M, et al. Exercise for osteoarthritis of the hip. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009(3):CD007912.
- Bartels EM, et al. Aquatic exercise for the treatment of knee and hip osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007(4): CD005523.
- Brosseau L, et al. Thermotherapy for treatment of osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003(4):CD004522.
- Leveille, SG (2002) Disabling symptoms: what do older women report?. J Gen Intern Med 17: pp. 766-73 CrossRef
- Fouladbakhsh, J (2010) Use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) providers, practices and products among U.S. cancer survivors. International Society for Complementary Medicine Research, Tromsø, Norway
- Quandt, SA (2005) Use of complementary and alternative medicine by persons with arthritis: results of the National Health Interview Survey. Arthritis Rheum 53: pp. 748-55 CrossRef
- Unsal, A, Gozum, S (2010) Use of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with arthritis. J Clin Nurs 19: pp. 1129-38 CrossRef
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Multiple chronic conditions: a strategic framework. Optimum health and quality of life for individuals with multiple chronic conditions. Washington, DC; 2010 Dec. http://www.hhs.gov/.
- Arthritis Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A national public health agenda for osteoarthritis 2010. Atlanta; 2010 Feb. http://www.arthritis.org/media/Ad%20Council%20101/OA_Agenda_2010.pdf.
- Kelley, GA (2011) Effects of community-deliverable exercise on pain and physical function in adults with arthritis and other rheumatic diseases: a meta-analysis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63: pp. 79-93 CrossRef
- Murphy, L (2007) A health care provider’s recommendation is the most influential factor in taking an arthritis self-management course (SMC): a national perspective from the arthritis conditions health effects survey (ACHES) [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 56: pp. S307-S308
- The State of the Science in the Prevention and Management of Osteoarthritis
HSS Journal ®
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 151-158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors