Industry Perspective on OA
- Ed. E. C. Margerrison PhD
- … show all 1 hide
The progressive degenerative changes associated with osteoarthritis (OA) can arise from age-related chronic degeneration or can be triggered by traumatic changes in the articular cartilage and/or subchondral bone. Traditionally, the orthopaedics industry has intervened in this disease progression only in the latter stages with joint replacements, but the picture has been changing over the last few years with the development of novel products and techniques. In addition to arthroplasty, the orthopaedics industry is now considering three alternative points of intervention in the disease, namely: (1) pain treatment; (2) disease progression; and (3) treatment of cartilage and osteochondral trauma, all essentially allowing for preservation of the joint. Whilst joint arthroplasty remains an extremely successful treatment option, a realistic aim of the healthcare industry must be to prevent disease progression, through early intervention allowing for a more complete return to func ...
- Adkisson HD 4th, Martin JA, Amendola RL, Milliman C, Mauch KA, Katwal AB, Seyedin M, Amendola A, Streeter PR, Buckwalter JA. The potential of human allogeneic juvenile chondrocytes for restoration of articular cartilage.. Am J Sports Med 2010;38:1324-33. CrossRef
- Farr J II, Yao JQ. Chondral defect repair with particulated juvenile cartilage allograft. Cartilage 2011;2:346–353.
- Strand, V., et al. A multicenter, randomized controlled trial comparing a single intra-articular injection of Gel-200, a new cross-linked formulation of hyaluronic acid, to phosphate buffered saline for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2011 (in press).
- Industry Perspective on OA
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 78-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Orthobiologics R&D, Zimmer Inc., Austin, TX, USA