Impact of Race/Ethnicity in OA Treatment
- Joanne M. Jordan MD, MPH
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Racial/ethnic disparities in the use of joint replacement surgery for knee and hip osteoarthritis (OA) have long been described [4, 9, 23]. Whether these represent differences in the frequency and severity of OA at various joint sites [11, 12] or differences in patient preference, access to medical care, or other factors has been the source of considerable study in the last 10 to 15 years . This article emphasizes racial/ethnic differences in, and factors associated with, the use or lack of use of various therapeutic interventions for OA, and new insights into potential mechanisms underlying these disparities, with an eye toward understanding how effective modalities might be applied in various populations likely to benefit.
Ethnic Disparity in Care of OA
In 1995, Hoagland and colleagues reported a study of racial/ethnic differences in total hip arthroplasty (THA) in 17 hospitals in the San Francisco area between 1984 and 1988 . Whites were twice as likely as Blacks to
- Allen KD, Helmick CG, Schwartz TA, DeVellis RF, Renner JB, Jordan JM. Racial differences in self-reported pain and function among individuals with radiographic hip and knee osteoarthritis: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. Osteoarthritis & Cartilage 2009; 17(9):1132–6. PMID: 19327733; PMCID: PMC2731003 CrossRef
- Anderson JJ, Felson DT. Factors associated with osteoarthritis of the knee in the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (HANES I): evidence for an association with overweigh, race, and physical demands of work. Am J Epidemiol. 1988 Jul;128(1):179–89.
- Braga L, Renner JB, Schwartz TA, Woodard J, Helmick CG, Hochberg MC, Jordan JM. Differences in radiographic features of knee osteoarthritis in African-Americans and Caucasians: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. Osteo & Cart 2009; 17(12):1554–61. PMID: 19735758 CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Racial disparities in total knee replacement among Medicare enrollees: United States 2000–2006.
- Chang A, Hochberg M, Song J, Dunlop D, Chmiel JS, Nevitt M, et al. Frequency of varus and valgus thrust and factors associated with thrust presence in persons with or at higher risk of developing knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2010; 62(5):1403–11.
- Dillon CF, Rasch EK, Gu Q, Hirsch R. Prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the United States: arthritis data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1991–1994. J Rheumatol. 2006 Nov;33(11):2271–9.
- Fortin JP, Ci L, Schroeder J, Goldstein C, Montefusco MC, Reis Se et al. The opioid receptor variant N190K is unresponsive to peptide agonists yet can be rescued by small-molecule drugs. Mol Pharmacol 2010;78:837–845 CrossRef
- Hausmann LRM, Hanusa BH, Kresevic DM, Zickmund S, Ling B, Gordon HS et al. Orthopedic communication about osteoarthritis treatment: does patient race matter? Arthritis Care Res 2011; 63:635–642. CrossRef
- Hoaglund FT, Oishi CS, Gialamas GG. Extreme variation in racial rates of total hip arthroplasty for primary coxarthrosis: a population-based study in San Francisco. Ann Rheum Dis. 1995 Feb;54(2):107–10. CrossRef
- Ibrahim SA, Siminoff LA, Burant CJ, Kwoh, CK. Differences in expectations of outcome mediate African American/white patient differences in "willingness" to consider joint replacement. Arthritis Rheum 46: 2429–35
- Jordan JM, Helmick CG, Renner JB, Luta G, Dragomir AD, Woodard J, Fang F, Schwartz TA, Nelson AE, Abbate LM, Callahan LF, Kalsbeek WD, Hochberg MC. Prevalence of hip symptoms and radiographic and symptomatic hip osteoarthritis in African Americans and Caucasians: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol 2009; 36(4):809–15. PMID: 19286855; NIHMS#: 233294 CrossRef
- Jordan JM, Helmick CG, Renner JB, Luta G, Woodard J, Dragomir AD, Kalsbeek W, Abbate L, Hochberg MC. Prevalence of knee symptoms and radiographic and symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in African-Americans and Caucasians: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol 2007; 34(1): 172–180. PMID: 17216685
- Kim H, Clark D, Dionne RA. Genetic contribution to clinical pain and analgesia. J Pain, 10(7), 2009: 663–693 CrossRef
- Lane NE, Nevitt MC, Hochberg MC, Hung YY, Palermo L. Progression of radiographic hip osteoarthritis over 8 years in a community sample of elderly white women. Arthritis Rheum. 2004 May;50(5):1477–86. CrossRef
- Lavernia CJ, Alcerro JC, Contreras JS, Rossi MD. Ethnic and racial factors influencing well-being, perceived pain, and physical function after primary total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Jul;469(7):1838–45. CrossRef
- Liu JH, Zingmond DS, McGory ML, SooHoo NF, Ettner SL, Brook RH et al. Disparities in the utilization of high-volume hospitals for complex surgery. JAMA 2006; 296: 1973–1980. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009 Feb 20;58(6):133–8.
- Nelson AE, Braga L, Braga-Baiak A, Atashili J, Schwartz TA, Renner JB, Helmick CG, Jordan JM. Static knee alignment measurements among Caucasians and African Americans: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol 2009; 36(9):1987–1990. CrossRef
- Nelson AE, Braga L, Renner JB, Atashili J, Woodard J, Hochberg MC, Helmick CG, Jordan JM. Characterization of individual radiographic features of hip osteoarthritis in African American and White women and men: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. Arthritis Care and Research 2010; 62(2): 190–7. PMID: 20191517; PMCID: PMC2846079
- Nevitt MC, Xu L, Zhang Y, Lui LY, Yu W, Lane NE, Qin M, Hochberg MC, Cummings SR, Felson DT. Very low prevalence of hip osteoarthritis among Chinese elderly in Beijing, China compared with Whites in the United States. Arthritis Rheum 46(7):1773–9
- Shavers VL, Bakos A, Sheppard VB. Race, ethnicity and pain among the U.S. adult population. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 21(1), 2010: 177–220 CrossRef
- Sims EL, Keefe FJ, Kraus VB, Guilak F, Queen RM, Schmitt D. Racial differences in gait mechanics associated with OA. Aging Clin Exp Res 2009; 2009 Dec;21(6):463–9
- Singh JA et al. Racial differences in allodynia. Arthritis Rheum 2010.
- Singh JA. Epidemiology of knee and hip arthroplasty: a systematic review. The Open Orthopaedics Journal. 2011; 5:80–95) CrossRef
- Tepper S, Hochberg MC. Factors associated with hip osteoarthritis: data from the First National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol. 1993;137(10):1081–8.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Arthritis, osteoporosis, and chronic back conditions: objective 2–6. In: Healthy people 2010 midcourse review. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2008
- Impact of Race/Ethnicity in OA Treatment
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 39-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- osteoarthritis treatment
- racial/ethnic disparities
- total joint arthroplasty
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Thurston Arthritis Research Center, University of North Carolina, 3300 Doc J. Thurston, Jr. Bldg. CB#7280, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-7280, USA