The Challenge of Pain for Patients with OA
- Gillian A. Hawker MD, MSc, FRCPC
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our current understanding of osteoarthritis (OA) is as an illness (the clinical manifestations of the disease) and a disease (the structural joint changes) . To date, relatively little attention has been paid to understanding the illness relative to the disease. Better characterization of our patients’ symptoms is likely to improve our ability to target the right treatment to the right patient, resulting in improved outcomes.
Patient Perceptions of Pain from OA
Pain has been identified as the top concern for people living with OA; pain drives health care use . The traditional biomedical view of OA pain is as nociceptive, resulting from joint tissue injury . However, this perspective fails to recognize that pain and other OA symptoms may be strongly influenced by psychological and physical health [40, 42], social support , gender , coping behaviors [27, 30, 36], and self-efficacy . This explains, in part, why people with similar OA severity radiographic ...
- Adamson J, Gooberman-Hill R, Woolhead G, Donovan J. ‘Questerviews’: using questionnaires in qualitative interviews as a method of integrating qualitative and quantitative health services research. J Health Serv Res Policy 2004; 9(3):139–145. CrossRef
- Allen KD, Renner JB, DeVellis B, Helmick CG, Jordan JM. Osteoarthritis and sleep: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol 2008; 35(6):1102–1107.
- Bajaj P, Bajaj P, Graven-Nielsen T, Arendt-Nielsen L. Osteoarthritis and its association with muscle hyperalgesia: an experimental controlled study. Pain 2001; 93(2):107–114. CrossRef
- Bellamy N, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith CH, Campbell J, Stitt LW. Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol 1988; 15(12):1833–1840.
- Bonica JJ. Biochemistry and modulation of nociception and pain. In: Bonica J, editor. The Management of Pain. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1990.
- Bradley LA. Recent approaches to understanding osteoarthritis pain. J Rheumatol 2004; 70:54–60.
- Coderre TJ, Katz J, Vaccarino AL, Melzack R. Contribution of central neuroplasticity to pathological pain: review of clinical and experimental evidence. Pain 1993; 52(3):259–285. CrossRef
- Creamer P, Lethbridge-Cejku M, Hochberg MC. Determinants of pain severity in knee osteoarthritis: effect of demographic and psychosocial variables using 3 pain measures. J Rheumatol 1999; 26(8):1785–1792.
- Davis AM, Lohmander LS, Wong R, Venkataramanan V, Hawker GA. Evaluating the responsiveness of the ICOAP following hip or knee replacement. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2010; 18(8):1043–1045. CrossRef
- Dieppe PA, Ayis S, Clarke S, Simmons D, Williams S, Fallon M. Quantitative sensory testing in osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2008; 16:S204. CrossRef
- DiMatteo MR, Lepper HS, Croghan TW. Depression is a risk factor for noncompliance with medical treatment: meta-analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160(14):2101–2107. CrossRef
- Ettinger WH Jr, Burns R, Messier SP et al. A randomized trial comparing aerobic exercise and resistance exercise with a health education program in older adults with knee osteoarthritis. The Fitness Arthritis and Seniors Trial (FAST). JAMA 1997; 277(1):25–31. CrossRef
- Felson DT. The sources of pain in knee osteoarthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005; 17(5):624–628. CrossRef
- French M, Wall A, Frankel L, Gignac M, Hawker GA. Existing pain measures fail to capture the experience of pain in people with OA. J Rheumatology 2006; 33:377.
- Galetti R, Obletter G, Giamberardino M, Formica L, Cicchitti G, Vecchiet L. Pain in osteoarthritis of the knee. In: Lipton S, editor. Advances in Pain Research and Therapy. New York: Raven Press, 1990: 183–191.
- George LK. Social factors and illness. In: Binstock H, George K, editors. Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences (4th Ed.). San Diego: Academic Press, 1996: 229–252.
- Gerecz-Simon EM, Tunks ER, Heale JA, Kean WF, Buchanan WW. Measurement of pain threshold in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and healthy controls. Clin Rheumatol 1989; 8(4):467–474. CrossRef
- Hawker GA, Badley EM, Croxford R et al. A Population Based Nested Case–control Study of the Costs of Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery. Medical Care 2009; 47(7):732–741. CrossRef
- Hawker GA, Davis AM. Monitoring Patient Outcomes. In: Henrotin Y, Hunter D, Kawaguchi H, editors. OARSI Primer on Osteoarthritis. 2011.
- Hawker GA, Davis AM, French MR et al. Development and preliminary psychometric testing of a new OA pain measure - an OARSI/OMERACT initiative. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2008; 16(4):409–14. CrossRef
- Hawker GA, French M, Waugh EJ, Gignac MA, Cheung C, Murray BJ. The multidimensionality of sleep quality and its relationship to fatigue in older adults with painful osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2010; 18(11):1365–1371. CrossRef
- Hawker GA, Gignac MA, Badley E et al. A longitudinal study to explain the pain-depression link in older adults with osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011; 63(10):1382–1390. CrossRef
- Hawker GA, Stewart L, French MR et al. Understanding the pain experience in hip and knee osteoarthritis - an OARSI/OMERACT initiative. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2008; 16(4):415–422. CrossRef
- Hendiani JA, Westlund KN, Lawand N, Goel N, Lisse J, McNearney T. Mechanical sensation and pain thresholds in patients with chronic arthropathies. J Pain 2003; 4(4):203–211. CrossRef
- Hochman JR, French MR, Bermingham SL, Hawker GA. The nerve of osteoarthritis pain. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2010; 62(7):1019–1023. CrossRef
- Imamura M, Imamura ST, Kaziyama HH et al. Impact of nervous system hyperalgesia on pain, disability, and quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a controlled analysis. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59(10):1424–1431. CrossRef
- Keefe FJ, Lefebvre JC, Egert JR, Affleck G, Sullivan MJ, Caldwell DS. The relationship of gender to pain, pain behavior, and disability in osteoarthritis patients: the role of catastrophizing. Pain 2000; 87(3):325–334. CrossRef
- Keefe FJ, Lefebvre JC, Maixner W, Salley AN Jr, Caldwell DS. Self-efficacy for arthritis pain: relationship to perception of thermal laboratory pain stimuli. Arthritis Care Res 1997; 10(3):177–184. CrossRef
- King AC, Oman RF, Brassington GS, Bliwise DL, Haskell WL. Moderate-intensity exercise and self-rated quality of sleep in older adults. A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1997; 277(1):32–37. CrossRef
- Klinger L, Spaulding SJ, Polatajko HJ, MacKinnon JR, Miller L. Chronic pain in the elderly: occupational adaptation as a means of coping with osteoarthritis of the hip and/or knee. Clin J Pain 1999; 15(4):275–283. CrossRef
- Kosek E, Ordeberg G. Lack of pressure pain modulation by heterotopic noxious conditioning stimulation in patients with painful osteoarthritis before, but not following, surgical pain relief. Pain 2000; 88(1):69–78. CrossRef
- Lachance L, Sowers M, Jamadar D, Jannausch M, Hochberg M, Crutchfield M. The experience of pain and emergent osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2001; 9(6):527–532. CrossRef
- Lavigne G, Khoury S, Laverdure-Dupont D, Denis R, Rouleau G. Tools and Methodological Issues in the Investigation of Sleep and Pain Interactions. In: Lavigne G, Sessle BJ, Choiniere M, Soja PJ, editors. Sleep and Pain. Seattle: IASP Press, 2007: 235–263.
- Leigh TJ, Bird HA, Hindmarch I, Wright V. Measurement of nocturnal body motility: behaviour of osteoarthritic patients and healthy controls. Rheumatol Int 1988; 8(2):67–70. CrossRef
- Leigh TJ, Hindmarch I, Bird HA, Wright V. Comparison of sleep in osteoarthritic patients and age and sex matched healthy controls. Ann Rheum Dis 1988; 47(1):40–42. CrossRef
- Lorig K, Gonzalez VM, Laurent DD, Morgan L, Laris BA. Arthritis self-management program variations: three studies. Arthritis Care Res 1998; 11(6):448–454. CrossRef
- McDougall JJ. Arthritis and pain. Neurogenic origin of joint pain. Arthritis Res Ther 2006; 8(6):220–230. CrossRef
- Minor MA, Hewett JE, Webel RR, Anderson SK, Kay DR. Efficacy of physical conditioning exercise in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1989; 32(11):1396–1405. CrossRef
- O’Driscoll SL, Jayson MI. Pain threshold analysis in patients with osteoarthrosis of hip. Br Med J 1974; 3(5933):714–715. CrossRef
- Rowe JW, Kahn RL. Successful Aging. New York: Pantheon, 1998.
- Salaffi F, Leardini G, Canesi B et al. Reliability and validity of the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) Osteoarthritis Index in Italian patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2003; 11(8):551–560. CrossRef
- Seeman TE. Health promoting effects of friends and family on health outcomes in older adults. Am J Health Promot 2000; 14(6):362–370. CrossRef
- Walen HR, Lachman ME. Social suport and strain from partner, family, and friends: costs and benefits for men and women in adulthood. J Soc Pers Relat 2000; 17:5–30. CrossRef
- Wing RR, Phelan S, Tate D. The role of adherence in mediating the relationship between depression and health outcomes. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53(4):877–881. CrossRef
- Woolhead GM, Donovan JL, Dieppe PA. Outcomes of total knee replacement: a qualitative study. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2005; 44(8):1032–1037. CrossRef
- The Challenge of Pain for Patients with OA
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 42-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- quality of life
- osteoarthritis outcomes
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Women’s College Hospital, 76 Grenville Street, 8th floor, Room 815, Toronto, ON, M5S 1B2, Canada