Reaching Consensus and Highlighting Future Directions for Research: The Osteoarthritis Summit Breakout Sessions
The major goal of the Summit was to foster discussion among the participants in an effort to reach consensus on important topics in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) and to highlight future directions for research. To that end, long breakout sessions were held at the end of both days of the summit. Here, we provide a summary of the sessions. To focus the discussion, participants were challenged to develop answers to questions posed by the co-chairs (addressed below). Much of the discussion was also focused around a proposal from John Hardin of the Arthritis Foundation to develop a concentrated, multidisciplinary, multi-institutional effort centered on the stabilization of cartilage matrix after joint trauma. Applying candidate pharmacologic agents and detecting the resulting stabilization with new imaging and molecular biomarkers could be a way to achieve concrete progress in preventing OA (see John Hardin’s article elsewhere in this supplement ...
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Herrmann SD, Meckes N, Bassett DR Jr, Tudor-Locke C, Greer JL, Vezina J, Whitt-Glover MC, Leon AS. 2011 Compendium of Physical Activities: a second update of codes and MET values. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011;43:1575–81. CrossRef
- Baker-LePain JC, Lane NE. Relationship between joint shape and the development of osteoarthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010;22:538–43. CrossRef
- Gobezie R, Kho A, Krastins B, Sarracino DA, Thornhill TS, Chase M, Millett PJ, Lee DM. High abundance synovial fluid proteome: distinct profiles in health and osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R36. CrossRef
- Ham SA, Ainsworth BE. Disparities in data on Healthy People 2010 physical activity objectives collected by accelerometry and self-report. Am J Public Health. 2010;100 Suppl 1:S263-8. CrossRef
- Jette AM, McDonough CM, Ni P, Haley SM, Hambleton RK, Olarsch S, Hunter DJ, Kim YJ, Felson DT. A functional difficulty and functional pain instrument for hip and knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R107. CrossRef
- Reaching Consensus and Highlighting Future Directions for Research: The Osteoarthritis Summit Breakout Sessions
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 80-83
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- osteoarthritis prevention