Joint Injury and Post-Traumatic Arthritis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nearly 21 million Americans are afflicted with symptomatic osteoarthritis, and an estimated 12% have a post-traumatic etiology, making post-traumatic arthritis (PTA) one of the leading causes of joint disability . Furthermore, recent studies suggest that battlefield orthopaedic injuries represent the majority of long term disability in wounded soldiers in on-going military conflicts, and degenerative arthritis developing following injury is the most common reason for a wounded soldier to be considered unfit for return to duty . Recent developments in injury severity assessment suggest that increasing fracture involvement of the articular surface may be predictive of developing PTA in humans . The unique features of intra-articular fractures include impaction injury to the articular surface, disruption of the osteochondral composite layer, residual displacement of the articular surface, and exposure of the joint to blood and marrow contents. Previous clinical inves ...
- Anderson, D.D., et al., Is elevated contact stress predictive of post-traumatic osteoarthritis for imprecisely reduced tibial plafond fractures? J Orthop Res, 2011. 29(1): p. 33–9. CrossRef
- Bacon, S., et al., A retrospective analysis of comminuted intra-articular fractures of the tibial plafond: open reduction and internal fixation versus external Ilizarov fixation. Injury, 2008. 39(2): p. 196–202. CrossRef
- Borrelli, J., Jr., Chondrocyte apoptosis and posttraumatic arthrosis. J Orthop Trauma, 2006. 20(10): p. 726–31. CrossRef
- Brown, T.D., et al., Posttraumatic osteoarthritis: a first estimate of incidence, prevalence, and burden of disease. J Orthop Trauma, 2006. 20(10): p. 739–44. CrossRef
- Buckwalter, J.A. and T.D. Brown, Joint injury, repair, and remodeling: roles in post-traumatic osteoarthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2004(423): p. 7–16. CrossRef
- Cross, J.D., et al., Battlefield orthopaedic injuries cause the majority of long-term disabilities. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 2011. 19 Suppl 1: p. S1-7.
- Dirschl, D.R., et al., Articular fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 2004. 12(6): p. 416–23.
- Furman, B.D., S.A. Olson, and F. Guilak, The development of posttraumatic arthritis after articular fracture. J Orthop Trauma, 2006. 20(10): p. 719–25. CrossRef
- Furman, B.D., et al., Joint degeneration following closed intraarticular fracture in the mouse knee: a model of posttraumatic arthritis. J Orthop Res, 2007. 25(5): p. 578–92. CrossRef
- Goldfarb, C.A., et al., Fifteen-year outcome of displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am, 2006. 31(4): p. 633–9. CrossRef
- Guilak, F., et al., The role of biomechanics and inflammation in cartilage injury and repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2004(423): p. 17–26. CrossRef
- Leontaritis, N., L. Hinojosa, and V.K. Panchbhavi, Arthroscopically detected intra-articular lesions associated with acute ankle fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2009. 91(2): p. 333–9. CrossRef
- Lewis, J.S., et al., Acute joint pathology and synovial inflammation is associated with increased intra-articular fracture severity in the mouse knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 2011.
- Lindhorst, E., et al., Longitudinal characterization of synovial fluid biomarkers in the canine meniscectomy model of osteoarthritis. J Orthop Res, 2000. 18(2): p. 269–80. CrossRef
- Seifer, D.R., et al., Novel synovial fluid recovery method allows for quantification of a marker of arthritis in mice. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 2008. 16(12): p. 1532–8. CrossRef
- Stufkens, S.A., et al., Cartilage lesions and the development of osteoarthritis after internal fixation of ankle fractures: a prospective study. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2010. 92(2): p. 279–86. CrossRef
- Thomas, T.P., et al., Objective CT-based metrics of articular fracture severity to assess risk for posttraumatic osteoarthritis. J Orthop Trauma, 2010. 24(12): p. 764–9. CrossRef
- Ward, B.D., et al., Absence of posttraumatic arthritis following intraarticular fracture in the MRL/MpJ mouse. Arthritis Rheum, 2008. 58(3): p. 744–53. CrossRef
- Joint Injury and Post-Traumatic Arthritis
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 23-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- articular fracture
- post-traumatic arthritis
- joint injury