Musculoskeletal Sonopathology and Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of real-time ultrasound guidance has revolutionized the practice of regional anesthesia. Ultrasound is rapidly becoming the technique of choice for nerve blockade due to increased success rates, faster onset, and potentially improved safety. In the course of ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia, unexpected pathology may be encountered. Such anomalous or pathological findings may alter the choice of nerve block and occasionally affect surgical management. This case series presents a variety of musculoskeletal conditions that may be encountered during ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia practice.
- Abrahams MS, Aziz MF, Fu RF, Horn JL. Ultrasound guidance compared with electrical neurostimulation for peripheral nerve block: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth. 2009;102:408–417. CrossRef
- Anderson MA, Newmeyer WL, 3rd, Kilgore ES, Jr. Diagnosis and treatment of retained foreign bodies in the hand. Am J Surg. 1982;144:63–67. CrossRef
- Bianchi S, Abdelwahab IF, Zwass A, et al. Sonographic findings in examination of digital ganglia: retrospective study. Clin Radiol. 1993;48:45–47. CrossRef
- Chan VWS. Ultrasound Imaging for Regional Anesthesia. A Practical Guide. 2nd ed. Toronto, ON: Toronto Publishing Company; 2008.
- Chen L, Kim Y, Moore CL. Diagnosis and guided reduction of forearm fractures in children using bedside ultrasound. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007;23:528–531. CrossRef
- Cheng P KH, Grubb D. Diagnostic neural sonography (sonopathology): is there a role for the anesthesiologists. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008;32:9. http://www.asra.com/education/display_fall_2008.php?id=41. Accessed October 11, 2009.
- Chin KJ, Chan V. Ultrasound-guided peripheral nerve blockade. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2008;21:624-631. CrossRef
- Chin KJ, Niazi A, Chan V. Anomalous brachial plexus anatomy in the supraclavicular region detected by ultrasound. Anesth Analg. 2008;107:729–731. CrossRef
- Dash S, Bheemreddy SR, Tiku ML. Posterior tibial neuropathy from ruptured Baker's cyst. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1998;27:272–276. CrossRef
- Duggan E, Brull R, Lai J, Abbas S. Ultrasound-guided brachial plexus block in a patient with multiple glomangiomatosis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008;33:70–73.
- Fielding JR, Franklin PD, Kustan J. Popliteal cysts: a reassessment using magnetic resonance imaging. Skeletal Radiol. 1991;20:433–435. CrossRef
- Horton LK, Jacobson JA, Powell A, Fessell DP, Hayes CW. Sonography and radiography of soft-tissue foreign bodies. Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176:1155–1159.
- Kainberger F, Mittermaier F, Seidl G, Parth E, Weinstabl R. Imaging of tendons--adaptation, degeneration, rupture. Eur J Radiol. 1997;25:209–222. CrossRef
- Martinoli C, Bianchi S, Derchi LE. Tendon and nerve sonography. Radiol Clin North Am. 1999;37:691–711. CrossRef
- McManus JG, Morton MJ, Crystal CS, et al. Use of ultrasound to assess acute fracture reduction in emergency care settings. Am J Disaster Med. 2008;3:241–247.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Ultrasound-guided catheterization of the epidural space: Full guidance. Available at: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IPG249. Accessed October 13th, 2009.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Ultrasound-guided regional nerve block: guidance. Available at: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IPG285. Accessed October 13th, 2009.
- Orebaugh SL, Williams BA, Vallejo M, Kentor ML. Adverse outcomes associated with stimulator-based peripheral nerve blocks with versus without ultrasound visualization. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009;34:251–255. CrossRef
- Perlas A, Niazi A, McCartney C, Chan V, Xu D, Abbas S. The sensitivity of motor response to nerve stimulation and paresthesia for nerve localization as evaluated by ultrasound. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2006;31:445–450.
- Pillen S, Arts IM, Zwarts MJ. Muscle ultrasound in neuromuscular disorders. Muscle Nerve. 2008;37:679–693. CrossRef
- Robertson CM, Robertson RF, Strazerri JC. Proximal dissection of a popliteal cyst with sciatic nerve compression. Orthopedics. 2003;26:1231–1232.
- Schafhalter-Zoppoth I, Younger SJ, Collins AB, Gray AT. The "seesaw" sign: improved sonographic identification of the sciatic nerve. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:808–809. CrossRef
- Silvestri E, Martinoli C, Derchi LE, Bertolotto M, Chiaramondia M, Rosenberg I. Echotexture of peripheral nerves: correlation between US and histologic findings and criteria to differentiate tendons. Radiology. 1995;197:291–296.
- Sites BD, Brull R, Chan VW, et al. Artifacts and pitfall errors associated with ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia. Part II: a pictorial approach to understanding and avoidance. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007;32:419–433.
- Sites BD, Chan VW, Neal JM, et al. The American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine and the European Society Of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy Joint Committee recommendations for education and training in ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009;34:40–46. CrossRef
- Sites BD, Macfarlane A.J.R, Sites V.R, Naraghi, A., Chan V.W.S., Singh, M. Antonakakis, J.G., Brull, R. Clinical sonopathology for the regional anesthesiologist. Part I: vascular and neural. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2010;35:272–280. CrossRef
- Sites BD, Macfarlane A.J.R, Sites V.R, Naraghi, A., Chan V.W.S., Singh, M. Antonakakis, J.G., Brull, R. Clinical sonopathology for the regional anesthesiologist. Part II: Bone, Viscera, Subcutaneous Tissue, And Foreign bodies. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2010;35:281–289. CrossRef
- Sites BD, Spence BC, Gallagher JD, Beach ML. On the edge of the ultrasound screen: Regional anesthesiologists diagnosing nonneural pathology. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2006;31:555–562.
- Soudack M, Nachtigal A, Gaitini D. Clinically unsuspected foreign bodies: the importance of sonography. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22:1381–1385.
- Swen WA, Jacobs JW, Hubach PC, Klasens JH, Algra PR, Bijlsma JW. Comparison of sonography and magnetic resonance imaging for the diagnosis of partial tears of finger extensor tendons in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2000;39:55–62. CrossRef
- Toro JR, Travis LB, Wu HJ, Zhu K, Fletcher CD, Devesa SS. Incidence patterns of soft tissue sarcomas, regardless of primary site, in the surveillance, epidemiology and end results program, 1978-2001: An analysis of 26,758 cases. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:2922–2930. CrossRef
- Tschirch FT, Schmid MR, Pfirrmann CW, Romero J, Hodler J, Zanetti M. Prevalence and size of meniscal cysts, ganglionic cysts, synovial cysts of the popliteal space, fluid-filled bursae, and other fluid collections in asymptomatic knees on MR imaging. Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180:1431–1436.
- Musculoskeletal Sonopathology and Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 64-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- regional anesthesia
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anaesthesia, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Scotland, UK
- 2. Department of Anesthesiology, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 3. Department of Radiology, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA, USA
- 4. Joint Department of Medical Imaging of University Health Network and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 6. Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S8, Canada
- 5. Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA