Prognostic Factors in Arthroplasty in the Rheumatoid Shoulder
Total shoulder arthroplasty is commonly considered a good option for treatment of the rheumatoid shoulder. However, when the rotator cuff and glenoid bone stock are not preserved, the clinical outcome of arthroplasty in the rheumatoid patients remains unclear. Aim of the study is to explore the prognostic value of multiple preoperative and peroperative variables in total shoulder arthroplasty and shoulder hemiarthroplasty in rheumatoid patients. Clinical Hospital for Special Surgery Shoulder score was determined at different time points over a mean period of 6.5 years in 66 rheumatoid patients with total shoulder arthroplasty and 75 rheumatoid patients with shoulder hemiarthroplasty. Moreover, radiographic analysis was performed to assess the progression of humeral head migration and glenoid loosening. Advanced age and erosions or cysts at the AC joint at time of surgery were associated with a lower postoperative Clinical Hospital for Special Surgery Shoulder score. In total shoulder arthroplasty, status of the rotator cuff and its repair at surgery were predictive of postoperative improvement. Progression of proximal migration during the period after surgery was associated with a lower clinical score over time. However, in hemiarthroplasty, no relation was observed between the progression of proximal or medial migration during follow-up and the clinical score over time. Status of the AC joint and age at the time of surgery should be taken into account when considering shoulder arthroplasty in rheumatoid patients. Total shoulder arthroplasty in combination with good cuff repair yields comparable clinical results as total shoulder arthroplasty when the cuff is intact.
- Dijkstra J, Dijkstra PF, vd KW. Rheumatoid arthritis of the shoulder. Description and standard radiographs. Rofo 1985;142(2):179–85.
- Figgie III HE, Inglis AE, Goldberg VM, Ranawat CS, Figgie MP, Wile JM. An analysis of factors affecting the long-term results of total shoulder arthroplasty in inflammatory arthritis. Journal of Arthroplasty 1988;3(2):123–130. CrossRef
- Kelly I.G. The source of shoulder pain in rheumatoid arthritis: Usefulness of local anesthetic injections. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1994;3(2):62–65. CrossRef
- Larsen A, Dale K, Eek M. Radiographic evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis and related conditions by standard reference films. Acta Radiol Diagn (Stockh) 1977;18(4):481–491.
- Lehtinen JT, Belt EA, Kauppi MJ, Kaarela K, Kuusela PP, Kautiainen HJ, et al. Bone destruction, upward migration, and medialisation of rheumatoid shoulder: a 15 year follow up study. Ann Rheum Dis 2001;60(4):322–326. CrossRef
- Lehtinen JT, Kaarela K, Belt EA, Kautiainen HJ, Kauppi MJ, Lehto MU. Relation of glenohumeral and acromioclavicular joint destruction in rheumatoid shoulder. A 15 year follow up study. Ann Rheum Dis 2000;59(2):158–160. CrossRef
- McCoy SR, Warren RF, Bade HA, III, Ranawat CS, Inglis AE. Total shoulder arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis. J Arthroplasty 1989;4(2):105–113. CrossRef
- Nagels J, Valstar ER, Stokdijk M, Rozing PM. Patterns of loosening of the glenoid component. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002;84(1):83–87. CrossRef
- Rozing PM, Brand R. Rotator cuff repair during shoulder arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Arthroplasty 1998;13(3):311–319. CrossRef
- Rozing PM, Obermann WR. Osteometry of the glenohumeral joint. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1999;8(5):438–442. CrossRef
- Sneppen O, Fruensgaard S, Johannsen HV, Olsen BS, Sojbjerg JO, Andersen NH. Total shoulder replacement in rheumatoid arthritis: proximal migration and loosening. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1996;5(1):47–52. CrossRef
- Sojbjerg JO, Frich LH, Johannsen HV, Sneppen O. Late results of total shoulder replacement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1999;(366):39–45.
- Sperling JW, Cofield RH, Schleck CD, Harmsen WS. Total shoulder arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for rheumatoid arthritis of the shoulder: Results of 303 consecutive cases. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2007;16(6):683–690. CrossRef
- Torchia ME, Cofield RH, Settergren CR. Total shoulder arthroplasty with the Neer prosthesis: Long-term results. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 1997;6(6):495–505. CrossRef
- Trail IA, Nuttall D. The results of shoulder arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series B 2002;84(8):1121–1125. CrossRef
- van de Sande MA, de Groot JH, Rozing PM. Clinical implications of rotator cuff degeneration in the rheumatic shoulder. Arthritis Rheum 2008;59(3):317–324. CrossRef
- Prognostic Factors in Arthroplasty in the Rheumatoid Shoulder
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 29-36
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- rheumatoid arthritis
- rheumatoid shoulder
- shoulder joint
- shoulder prosthesis
- shoulder arthroplasty
- total shoulder prosthesis
- humeral head prosthesis
- glenoid component
- outcome measurement
- rotator cuff
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300, RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 3. PO Box 34, 2360, AA, Warmond-Teylingen, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300, RC, Leiden, The Netherlands