Traumatic Lateral Plantar Artery Pseudoaneurysm and the Use of Time-Resolved MR Angiography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Vascular injury resulting in pseudoaneurysm formation in the plantar aspect of the foot is an uncommon injury after trauma. Such injuries are more often reported in the lateral plantar artery rather than the medial plantar artery, most likely because of its more superficial location. Traditional modalities in diagnosis have included ultrasound and digital subtraction angiography. We present a case of traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the lateral plantar artery following a foot laceration. Diagnosis was made by the use of high-resolution, time-resolved contrast-enhanced 3D magnetic resonance angiography, also referred to as “TRICKS” (time-resolved imaging of contrast kinetics). This technique provided high spatial resolution for the arterial anatomy as well as temporal resolution which allowed better delineation of the hemodynamic characteristics of the pseudoaneurysm.
- Agarwal M, Harkless L, Hagino RT, Toursarkissian B. Lateral plantar artery aneurysm: a case report. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2007 Nov–Dec;97(6):480–2
- Nierenberg G, Hoffman A, Engel A, Stein H. Pseudoaneurysm with an arteriovenous fistula of the tibial vessels after plantar fasciotomy: a case report. Foot Ankle Int 1997 Aug;18(8):524–5.
- Gentile AT, Zizzo CJ, Dahukey A, Berman SS. Traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the lateral plantar artery after endoscopic plantar fasciotomy. Foot Ankle Int 1997 Dec;18(12):821–2.
- Ptaszek AJ, Aminian A, Schneider JR, Milos S. Lateral plantar artery pseudoaneurysm after calcaneal osteotomy: a case report. Foot Ankle Int 2006 Feb;27(2):141–3.
- Thornton BP, Minion DJ, Quick R, Vasconez HC, Endean ED. Pseudoaneurysm of the lateral plantar artery after foot laceration. J Vasc Surg 2003 Mar;37(3):672–5. CrossRef
- Economou P, Paton R, Galasko CS. Traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the lateral plantar artery in a child. J Pediatr Surg 1993 Apr;28(4):626. CrossRef
- Baeza L, Farrell ED, Salgado CJ. Medial plantar artery pseudoaneurysm following percutaneous pinning for Lisfranc fracture-dislocation. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2009;99(1):58–60.
- Mardjetko SM, Lubicky JP, Kuo KN, Smrcina C. Pseudoaneurysm after foot surgery. J Pediatr Orthop 1991 Sep–Oct;11(5):657–62.
- Woodburne RT, Burkel WE. Essentials of human anatomy. 9th ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1994.
- Sueyoshi E, Sakamoto I, Matsuoka Y, Ogawa Y, Hayashi H, Hashmi R, et al. Aortoiliac and lower extremity arteries: comparison of three-dimensional dynamic contrast-enhanced subtraction MR angiography and conventional angiography. Radiology 1999 Mar;210(3):683–8.
- Koelemay MJ, Lijmer JG, Stoker J, Legemate DA, Bossuyt PM. Magnetic resonance angiography for the evaluation of lower extremity arterial disease: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2001 Mar 14;285(10):1338–45. CrossRef
- Mell M, Tefera G, Thornton F, Siepman D, Turnipseed W. Clinical utility of time-resolved imaging of contrast kinetics (TRICKS) magnetic resonance angiography for infrageniculate arterial occlusive disease. J Vasc Surg 2007 Mar;45(3):543, 8; discussion 548 CrossRef
- Korosec FR, Frayne R, Grist TM, Mistretta CA. Time-resolved contrast-enhanced 3D MR angiography. Magn Reson Med 1996 Sep;36(3):345–51. CrossRef
- Kertesz JL, Anderson SW, Murakami AM, Pieroni S, Rhea JT, Soto JA. Detection of vascular injuries in patients with blunt pelvic trauma by using 64-channel multidetector CT. Radiographics 2009 Jan-Feb;29(1):151–64. CrossRef
- Langer S, Kramer N, Mommertz G, Koeppel TA, Jacobs MJ, Wazirie NA, et al. Unmasking pedal arteries in patients with critical ischemia using time-resolved contrast-enhanced 3D MRA. J Vasc Surg 2009 May;49(5):1196–202. CrossRef
- Andreisek G, Pfammatter T, Goepfert K, Nanz D, Hervo P, Koppensteiner R, et al. Peripheral arteries in diabetic patients: standard bolus-chase and time-resolved MR angiography. Radiology 2007 Feb;242(2):610–20. CrossRef
- Gooding GA, Hardiman T, Sumers M, Stess R, Graf P, Grunfeld C. Sonography of the hand and foot in foreign body detection. J Ultrasound Med 1987 Aug;6(8):441–7.
- Ruhl KM, Katoh M, Langer S, Mommertz G, Guenther RW, Niendorf T, et al. Time-resolved 3D MR angiography of the foot at 3 T in patients with peripheral arterial disease. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008 Jun;190(6):W360–4. CrossRef
- Hodgson RJ, O'Connor P, Moots R. MRI of rheumatoid arthritis image quantitation for the assessment of disease activity, progression and response to therapy. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2008 Jan;47(1):13–21. CrossRef
- Vasanth LC, Foo LF, Potter HG, Adler RS, Finzel KC, Pavlov H, et al. Using Magnetic Resonance Angiography to Measure Abnormal Synovial Blood Vessels in Early Inflammatory Arthritis: A New Imaging Biomarker? J Rheumatol 2010 Apr 1.
- Chomel S, Douek P, Moulin P, Vaudoux M, Marchand B. Contrast-enhanced MR angiography of the foot: anatomy and clinical application in patients with diabetes. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004 Jun;182(6):1435–42.
- Traumatic Lateral Plantar Artery Pseudoaneurysm and the Use of Time-Resolved MR Angiography
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 214-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- magnetic resonance angiography
- time-resolved imaging of contrast kinetics
- plantar artery pseudoaneurysm