Arthroscopic Anterior and Posterior Labral Repair After Traumatic Hip Dislocation: Case Report and Review of the Literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With the improvements in flexible instrumentation, hip arthroscopy is being increasingly used to treat a variety of hip pathology, including labral tears. However, up to this point, there has not been a case report of an anterior and a posterior labral tear successfully repaired arthroscopically. We present a case report of a 27-year-old male firefighter who presented to our institution with an anterior and posterior labral tear, as well as a cam lesion and loose body, following a traumatic hip dislocation. The purpose of this case report is to illustrate that both anterior and posterior labral tears can be repaired using hip arthroscopy. Anterior and posterior labral tears can be caused by a traumatic hip dislocation, and both can be successfully repaired using arthroscopic techniques.
- Giza E, Mithofer K, Matthews H, et al. Hip fracture dislocation in football: A report of two cases and review of the literature. Br J Sports Med 2004; 38(4):E17. CrossRef
- Lamke LO. Traumatic dislocations of the hip. Follow-up on cases from the Stockholm area. Acta Orthop Scand 1970;41(2):188–98. CrossRef
- Mitchell JC, Giannoudis PV, Millner PA, et al. A rare fracture dislocation of the hip in a gymnast and review of the literature. Br J Sports Med 1999;33(4)283–4. CrossRef
- Chudik S, Lopez V. Hip dislocations in athletes. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2002;10:123–33. CrossRef
- Kelly BT, Williams III RJ, Philippon MJ. Hip arthroscopy: current indications, treatment options, and management issues. Am J Sports Med 2003;31(6):1020–1037.
- Kelly BT, Weiland DE, Schenker ML, Philippon MJ. Arthroscopic labral repair in the hip: surgical technique and review of the literature. Arthroscopy. 2005; 21:1496–1504. CrossRef
- Robertson WJ, Kadrmas WR, Kelly BT. Arthroscopic management of labral tears in the hip: a systematic review of the literature. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007 Feb;455:88–92. CrossRef
- Byrd JW, Jones KS. Hip arthroscopy in athletes. Clin Sports Med. 2001;20:749–61. CrossRef
- Heyworth BE, Shindle MK, Voos JE, Rudzki JR, Kelly BT. Radiologic and intraoperative findings in revision hip arthroscopy. Arthroscopy 2007;(12) 1295–1302.
- Lage LA, Patel JV, Villar RN: The Acetabular Labral Tear: An arthroscopic classification. Arthroscopy 1996;12:269–272. CrossRef
- Philippon MJ, Arnoczky SP, Torrie A. Arthroscopic repair of the acetabular labrum: a histologic assessment of healing in an ovine model. Arthroscopy, April 2007; 23 (4):376–380. CrossRef
- Murphy KP, Ross AE, Javernick MA, and Lehman RA. Repair of the Adult Acetabular Labrum. Arthroscopy 2006; 22:567.e1–567.e3 CrossRef
- Petersen W, Petersen F, and Tillmann B. Structure and vascularization of the acetabular labrum with regard to the pathogenesis and healing of labral lesions. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2003;123: 283–288. CrossRef
- Shindle MK, Voos JE, Nho SJ, Heyworth BE, and Kelly BT. Arthroscopic Management of Labral Tears in the Hip. J Bone Joint Surg. 2008;90:2–19. CrossRef
- Ganz R, Parvizi J, Beck M, Leunig M, Notzli H, Siebenrock KA. Femoroacetabular impingment: a cause for osteoarthritis of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; 417:112–120.
- McCarthy JC, Noble PC, Schuck MR, Wright J, Lee J. The role of labral lesions to the development of early degenerative hip disease. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; 393:25–37. CrossRef
- Tanzer M, Noiseux N. Osseous abnormalities and early osteoarthritis: the role of hip impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 429:170–177. CrossRef
- Paterson I. The torn acetabular labrum; a block to reduction of a dislocated hip. J Bone Joint Surg Br.1957; 39:306–309.
- Stiris M.G. Magnetic Resonance Arthrography of the hip joint in patients with suspected rupture of the labrum acetabulare. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2001;121: 698–700.
- Manaster BJ and Zakel S. Imaging of femoral acetabular impingement syndrome. Clin Sports Med 2006; 25(4):635–657. CrossRef
- Moorman CT 3rd, Warren RF, Hershman EB, Crowe JF, Potter HG, Barnes R, O'Brien SJ, Guettler JH. Traumatic posterior hip subluxation in American football. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85-A(7):1190–1196.
- Robertson WJ, Kelly BT. The safe zone for hip arthroscopy: a cadaveric assessment of central, peripheral, and lateral compartment portal placement. Arthroscopy. 2008; 24(9): 1019–1026. Epub 2008 Jun 24 CrossRef
- Arthroscopic Anterior and Posterior Labral Repair After Traumatic Hip Dislocation: Case Report and Review of the Literature
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 223-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- labral tear
- traumatic dislocation
- arthroscopy repair
- Industry Sectors