Imaging-Guided Treatment of Scapulothoracic Bursitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Scapulothoracic region pain can be a diagnostic dilemma, occasionally being confused with other causes of shoulder pain or even a thoracic or cervical radiculopathy. True scapulothoracic bursitis can be caused by abnormal biomechanics between the scapula and the rib cage as an isolated entity, due to a structural lesion such as a tumor, posttraumatic, idiopathic, or secondary to a postsurgical deformity of the chest wall [1, 2]. Treatment of scapulothoracic bursitis can include conservative and surgical options, such as arthroscopic release of fibrous adhesions or bursectomies, or image-guided steroid/anesthetic injections of the bursa [2, 3, 4].
We present a case of a patient with scapulothoracic bursitis related to prior chest wall trauma and subsequent thoracoplasty, diagnosed with real-time fluoroscopy and treated with ultrasound-guided injection.
This is a 47-year-old female who sustained a severe traumatic injury to the posterior right chest wall and right lu ...
- Fujikawa A, Oshika Y, Tamura T, Naoi Y (2004) Chronic scapulothoracic bursitis associated with thoracoplasty. AJR Am J Roentgenol 183(5):1487–1488
- Lehtinen JT, Tetreault P, Warner JJ (2003) Arthroscopic management of painful and stiff scapulothoracic articulation. Arthroscopy 19(4):E28 CrossRef
- Kuhn JE, Plancher KD, Hawkins RJ (1998) Symptomatic scapulothoracic crepitus and bursitis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 6(5):267–273
- Hodler J, Gilula LA, Ditsios KT, Yamaguchi K (2003) Fluoroscopically guided scapulothoracic injections. AJR Am J Roentgenol 181 (5):1232–1234
- Ken O, Hatori M, Kokubun S (2004) The MRI features and treatment of scapulothoracic bursitis: report of four cases. Ups J Med Sci 109(1):57–64 CrossRef
- Huang CC, Ko SF, Ng SH, Lin CC, Huang HY, Yu PC, Lee TY (2005) Scapulothoracic bursitis of the chest wall: sonographic features with pathologic correlation. J Ultrasound Med 24(10):1437–1440
- Imaging-Guided Treatment of Scapulothoracic Bursitis
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 213-215
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors