Review of Mary Bosworth and Carolyn Hoyle, What is Criminology?
- Alistair Fraser
- … show all 1 hide
What is criminology? The short answer, to paraphrase the British playwright Alan Bennett, is ‘just one bloody crime after another.’ The long answer is to be found between the pages of Bosworth and Hoyle’s wide-ranging new collection, in which leading criminologists reflect on the current status of their discipline. The volume arrives in the midst of a ‘reflexive turn’ (Bourdieu and Wacquant 1992) in the social sciences generally, and recent debates regarding the role and function of criminology in public life (Loader and Sparks 2010; Wacquant 2011). Consisting of 35 chapters over 550 hard-bound pages, the collection represents a weighty contribution to both debate and bookshelf.
Contributions come from some of the leading criminological thinkers in the UK, US, Canada, Europe, Australia and South Africa. Their charge was to consider the purpose, impact, methods and import of criminology, past and present. Unsurprisingly, for a self-consciously ‘eclectic discipline’, the results are ...
- Bourdieu, P, Wacquant, L (1992) An invitation to reflexive sociology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Cain, M (2000) Orientalism, Occidentalism and the sociology of crime. British Journal of Criminology 40: pp. 239-260 CrossRef
- Loader, I, Sparks, R (2010) Public criminology?. Routledge, London
- Sheptycki, J (2008) Transnationalism, Orientalism and crime. Asian Journal of Criminology 3: pp. 13-35 CrossRef
- Wacquant, L (2011) From “Public Criminology” to the reflexive sociology of criminological production and consumption: A review of public criminology. British Journal of Criminology 51: pp. 438-448 CrossRef
- Review of Mary Bosworth and Carolyn Hoyle, What is Criminology?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Asian Journal of Criminology
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 231-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Alistair Fraser (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, University of Hong Kong, Room 1215, K.K. Leung Building, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, 999077, China