The Distinction between Knowledge-That and Knowledge-How
- Huiming Ren
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I first argue why Stanley and Williamson fail to eliminate the distinction between knowledge-that and knowledge-how. Then I argue that knowledge-how consists in a special kind of ways of thinking of ways of engaging in actions. So the distinction between knowledge-that and knowledge-how is twofold: the objects of knowledge-that and knowledge-how are different; the ways in which we entertain the object of knowledge are also distinct when we have knowledge-that and knowledge-how. At the end, I consider two recent intellectualist efforts on knowledge-how and show why they fail.
- Bengson, J., & Moffett, M. A. (2007). Know-how and concept possession. Philosophical Studies, 136(1), 31–57. CrossRef
- Brogaard, B. (2012). “Knowing how: A united account”. In J. Bengson, and M. Moffett (Eds.), Knowing how: Essays on knowledge, mind, and action. Oxford University Press.
- Dretske, F. (1969). Seeing and knowing. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Noë, A. (2005). Against intellectualism. Analysis, 65(4), 278–290. CrossRef
- O’Brian, D. (2004). “The epistemology of perception”. In Internet encyclopedia of philosophy, URL=http://www.iep.utm.edu/epis-per/#SH1a.
- Ryle, G. (1945). Knowing how and knowing that. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 46, 1–16.
- Ryle, G. (1949). The concept of mind. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Snowdon, P. (2003). Knowing how and knowing that: A distinction reconsidered. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 104, 1–29. CrossRef
- Stanley, J., & Williamson, T. (2001). Knowing how. Journal of Philosophy, 98(8), 411–444. CrossRef
- Williamson, T. (2000). Knowledge and its limits. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- The Distinction between Knowledge-That and Knowledge-How
Volume 40, Issue 4 , pp 857-875
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Huiming Ren (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Department, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China