New Perspectives on Analytic Pragmatism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Analytic pragmatism is a framework of analysis elaborated by Robert Brandom, whose goal is to explain the relations between meaning and use according to a systematic and general method of inquiry. In April 2009, a workshop was organized to discuss the recent developments of this new theoretical approach. Brandom delivered three lectures, where he explored some aspects of analytic pragmatism and addressed the motivating themes of this enterprise, while the contribution from the other speakers ranged over specific aspects of the theory. This special issue is the outcome of that workshop. In this introduction we briefly outline the context of the debate and present the contribution to this issue selected from a much wider range of papers, using the reviewing process of Philosophia.
- Brandom, R. (1994). Making it explicit. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press.
- Brandom, R. (2008). Between saying and doing. Towards an analytic pragmatism. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Davidson, D. (2005). Truth and predication. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Minar, E. (Ed.). (2008). On between saying and doing -Robert Brandom’s John Locke Lectures. Comments and Responses. Philosophical Topics, Volume 36, Issue 2.
- Prien, B., & Schweikard, D. (Eds.). (2008). Robert Brandom: Analytic pragmatist. Frankfurt am Main: Ontos Verlag.
- Sellars, W. (1963a). Philosophy and the scientific image of man. In W. Sellars (Ed.), Science, perception and reality (p. 1991). Atascadero, CA: Ridgeview Publishing Co.
- Sellars, W. (1963b). Abstract Entities, Review of Metaphysics, Vol. 16, No. 4, June 1963, reprinted in R. Brandom & K. Scharp (Eds.), In the Space of Reasons. Selected Essays of Wilfrid Sellars, Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 2007.
- Stekeler-Weithofer, P. (2008). The pragmatics of making it explicit. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Tugendhat, E. (1982). Traditional and analytic philosophy: Lectures on the philosophy of language. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Wanderer, J. (2008). Robert Brandom. Montreal and Kingston, Canada: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Weiss, B., & Wanderer, J. (2010). Reading Brandom: On making it explicit. London, UK: Routledge.
- Williamson, T. (2007). The philosophy of philosophy. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing. CrossRef
- New Perspectives on Analytic Pragmatism
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 1-11
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links