Living Dogma and Marriage
- Michael T. McFall
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The decision to get married, as well as choosing whom to marry, is of the utmost importance to most people. This decision consists of many amoral considerations, but an ethical relationship arises when a promise is made, especially a vow that binds for a lifetime and affects oneself, one’s spouse, one’s children, and society. This essay provides an account of ideal romantic marriage, arguing that John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty provides an excellent foundation for constructing such an account. Neither dead dogma nor living truth is a healthy model for marriage, so a hybrid model of marriage, living dogma, is developed. The importance of the marital vow becomes apparent as the living dogma account is revealed, and this examination yields a model for how to decide when and whom to marry.
- Armstrong, J. (2002). Conditions of love: The philosophy of intimacy (p. 128). New York: Norton.
- Cicovacki, P. (1993). On love and fidelity in marriage. Journal of Social Philosophy, 24, 100. CrossRef
- Frankfurt, H. (2004). The reasons for love (p. 56). Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Frankfurt, H. (2006). In D. Satz (Ed.), Taking ourselves seriously & getting it right (pp. 18–19). Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Fromm, E. (1962). The art of living: An inquiry into the nature of love (p. 4). New York: Harper Colophon Books.
- Kolodny, N. (2003). Love as valuing a relationship. The Philosophical Review, 112, 135–36. CrossRef
- Landau, I. (2004). An argument for marriage. Philosophy, 79, 476–479. CrossRef
- Martin, M. W. (1993). Love’s constancy. Philosophy, 68, 68.
- Martin, M. W. (1994). Adultery and fidelity. Journal of Social Philosophy, 25, 79. CrossRef
- Mill, J. S. (1985). On liberty (p. 97). London: Penguin.
- Moller, D. (2003). An argument against marriage. Philosophy, 78, 82–85. CrossRef
- Nozick, R. (1989). The examined life (p. 75). New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Russell, B. (1970). Marriage and morals (p. 141). New York: Liveright.
- Singer, I. (1987a). The nature of love: Plato to Luther (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 4–5). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Singer, I. (1987b). The nature of love: The modern world (Vol. III, p. 392). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Solomon, R. C. (1990). Love: Emotion, myth & metaphor (p. 226). Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.
- Living Dogma and Marriage
Volume 39, Issue 4 , pp 657-672
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Practical rationality
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Bowling Green State University, 305 Shatzel Hall, Bowling Green, OH, 43403, USA