James F. Drane: A Liberal Catholic Bioethics. Muenster, DE: Lit Verlag. 2010, 290 Pages
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The juxtaposition of the words ‘liberal’ and ‘Catholic’ will no doubt excite some ironic comment on both sides of the religious and secular divide—both terms can be used in ways that connote good and bad with political implications. This book, whose author is a Rusell B. Roth Professor of Clinical Bioethics (Emeritus) at Edinboro University in Pennsylvania, represents an answer to those who equate Catholic bioethics with conservative stands. This is how he understands the term ‘liberal’, namely in opposition to ‘conservative’. Against this backdrop, Drane celebrates a (medical) ethic based on human relations, virtue and natural law.
The book is organised in five main sections: Definitions, Theory, Life, Death, and Technology. The first section, on definitions, could be inspiring or disappointing, depending on who reads it and with what utility in mind: Catholics looking for guidance as to how to square Catholic dogma with contemporary (especially urban) life worlds could find Drane’s ac ...
- Doyal, L. (1999). The moral character of clinicians or the best interests of patients? BMJ, 318, 1432–1433. CrossRef
- Foucault, M. (1994). The birth of the clinic: An archaeology of medical perception. New York: Vintage Books.
- Freidson, E. (1988). Ethicality and self-regulation. Profession of medicine: A study of the sociology of applied knowledge. Chicago: The university of Chicago press.
- Gillon, R. (1999). When doctors might kill their patients: Foreseeing is not necessarily the same as intending. BMJ, 318, 1431–1432. CrossRef
- Mccullough, L. B. (2011). Was bioethics founded on historical and conceptual mistakes about medical paternalism? Bioethics, 25, 66–74. CrossRef
- Papanikitas, A. (2009). Splitting hairs over the definition of murder: Thomas Aquinas and the doctrine of double effect. Clinical Ethics, 4, 211–212. CrossRef
- James F. Drane: A Liberal Catholic Bioethics. Muenster, DE: Lit Verlag. 2010, 290 Pages
Volume 39, Issue 4 , pp 771-774
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links