McTaggart’s Paradox and Crisp’s Presentism
- L. Nathan Oaklander
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In his review of The Ontology of Time, Thomas Crisp (Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, 2005a) argues that Oaklander's version of McTaggart's paradox does not make any trouble for his version of presentism. The aim of this paper is to refute that claim by demonstrating that Crisp's version of presentism does indeed succumb to a version of McTaggart's argument. I shall proceed as follows. In Part I I shall explain Crisp's view and then argue in Part II that his analysis of temporal becoming, temporal properties and temporal relations is inadequate. Finally, in Part III, I shall demonstrate that his presentist ontology of time is susceptible to the paradox he so assiduously sought to avoid.
- Craig, W. L. (1998). McTaggart’s paradox and the problem of temporary intrinsics. Analysis, 58, 122–127. CrossRef
- Craig, W. L. (2000). The tensed of time: A critical examination. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.
- Crisp, T. (2007). Presentism and the grounding objection. NOÛS, 41(1), 90–109.
- Crisp, T. (2005a). Review L. Nathan Oaklander, The ontology of time. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=2201.
- Crisp, Thomas. (2005b). Presentism. In Loux Michael & Zimmerman Dean (Eds.), The Oxford handbook of metaphysics (pp. 211–245). Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2003. CrossRef
- Oaklander, L. N. (2004a). Craig on McTaggart's Paradox and the Problem of Temporary Intrinsics, in The Ontology of Time (pp. 77-83). Amherst: Prometheus Books.
- Oaklander, L. N. (2004b). Presentism, ontology, and temporal experience. The Ontology of Time, 83–101.
- Oaklander, L. N. (2004c). Presentism: a critique. The Ontology of Time, 101–117.
- Oaklander, L. N. (2004d). McTaggart's paradox defended. The Ontology of Time, 51–62.
- Tooley, M. (1997). Time tense and causation. Oxford: Clarendon.
- Tooley, M. (2010). Farewell to McTaggart’s argument? Philosophia.
- McTaggart’s Paradox and Crisp’s Presentism
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 229-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Ersatz B-relations
- Temporal becoming
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Michigan-Flint, 544 French Hall, Flint, MI, 48502, USA