On Promising to Supererogate: A Response to Heyd
- Jason Kawall
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In my “Promising and Supererogation” I argue that one cannot fulfill promises to perform supererogatory actions (such as “I hereby promise to perform one supererogatory action every month”). In a response to my paper, David Heyd argues that there is an alternative solution to the problem I raise. While I agree with much that Heyd says about the examples he discusses, his proposed solution involves a crucial alteration of the problem; his proposed solution does not solve the problem I present.
- Heyd, D. (2005). Supererogatory promises: A comment on Kawall’s “Promising and Supererogation.” Philosophia, 32, 399–403.
- Kawall, J. (2005). Promising and supererogation. Philosophia, 32, 389–398.
- On Promising to Supererogate: A Response to Heyd
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 153-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Jason Kawall (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Colgate University, 13 Oak Drive, Hamilton, NY, 13346, USA