Microarchitecture of the Godson-2 Processor
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Godson project is the first attempt to design high performance general-purpose microprocessors in China. This paper introduces the microarchitecture of the Godson-2 processor which is a 64-bit, 4-issue, out-of-order execution RISC processor that implements the 64-bit MIPS-like instruction set. The adoption of the aggressive out-of-order execution techniques (such as register mapping, branch prediction, and dynamic scheduling) and cache techniques (such as non-blocking cache, load speculation, dynamic memory disambiguation) helps the Godson-2 processor to achieve high performance even at not so high frequency. The Godson-2 processor has been physically implemented on a 6-metal 0.18μm CMOS technology based on the automatic placing and routing flow with the help of some crafted library cells and macros. The area of the chip is 6,700 micrometers by 6,200 micrometers and the clock cycle at typical corner is 2.3ns.
- Weiwu Hu, Zhimin Tang. Microarchitecture design of the Godson-1 processor. Chinese Journal of Computers, April 2003, pp.385–396. (in Chinese)
- Divid Patterson, John Hennessy. Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc. 1996.
- Kessler R. The Alpha 21264 microprocessor. IEEE Micro, March/April 1999, 19: 24–36.
- Kenneth Yeager. The MIPS R10000 superscalar microprocessor. IEEE Micro, April 1996, 16: 28–41.
- Tim Horel, Gary Lauterbach. UltraSparc-III: Designing third-generation 64-bit performance. IEEE Micro, May/June 1999, 19: 73–85.
- Ashok Kumar. The HP PA-8000 RISC CPU. IEEE Micro, Mar.–Apr., 1997, 17: 27–32.
- Joel Tendler, Steve Dodson, Steve Fields et al. Power 4 system microarchitecture. IBM Technical White Paper, October 2001.
- Huck J et al. Introducing the IA-64 architecture. IEEE Micro, Sept.–Oct., 2000, 20: 12–23.
- Glenn Hinton, Dave Sager, Mike Upton et al. The microarchitecture of the Pentium 4 processor. Intel Technology Journal, Q1, 2001.
- Microarchitecture of the Godson-2 Processor
Journal of Computer Science and Technology
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 243-249
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- superscalar pipeline
- out-of-order execution
- branch prediction
- register renaming
- dynamic scheduling non-blocking cache
- load speculation
- Industry Sectors