Automatic Full Strain Field Moiré Interferometry Measurement with Nano-scale Resolution
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Moiré Interferometry (MI) theoretically can provide real-time full strain field measurements in dynamic environment. So it’s extensively used in reliability analysis of electronic packaging. Due to the nature of specimen preparations procedure, the optical noise is usually too strong so that an accurate phase-based information processing is not possible. In this paper, a 164 nm/pixel spatial resolution Moiré Interferometer with automated full strain field calculation is proposed. Provided by two-level zooming system, the high spatial resolution increase the signal intensity and eliminate some optical noise which allows accurate full strain field map generated automatically by the combination of phase shifting technique and continuous wavelet transform (CWT). Furthermore, the calculation procedure of CWT proposed here does not require unwrapping and differentiation, which avoid the possible numerical noise introduced in these two steps. In the proposed system, pixel by pixel in-plane strain tensors will be calculate from the intensity map of interferograms using phase-based method. The resulting strain tensor can be used to model constitutive relationship or compare with finite element analysis results. A thermal experiment on BGA packaging is used to demonstrate the advantages of the proposed new design.
- Post D, Han B, Ifju P (1994) High sensitivity moiré: experimental analysis for mechanics and materials. Springer, New York.
- Han B (1998) Recent advancements of moiré and microscopic moiré interferometry for thermal deformation analyses of microelectronics devices. Exp Mech 38:278–288.
- Morita Y, Arakawa K, Todo M (2007) High-sensitivity measurement of thermal deformation in a stacked multichip package. IEEE Trans Compon Packag Technol 30:137–143. CrossRef
- Han B, Kunthong P (2000) Micro-mechanical deformation analysis of surface laminar circuit in organic flip-chip package: an experimental study. Transactions of the ASME. J Electron Packag 122:294–300. CrossRef
- Guo Y, Lim CK, Chen WT, Woychik CG (1993) Solder ball connect (SBC) assemblies under thermal loading. I. Deformation measurement via moiré interferometry, and its interpretation. IBM J Res Develop 37:635–647. CrossRef
- Walker CA (2004) Handbook of moiré measurement. Institute of Physics Pub, Bristol.
- Zhao Y, Basaran C, Cartwright A, Dishongh T (2000) Thermomechanical behavior of micron scale solder joints under dynamic loads. Mech Mater 32:161–173. CrossRef
- He X, Zou D, Liu S, Guo Y (1998) Phase-shifting analysis in Moiré interferometry and its applications in electronic packaging. Opt Eng 37:1410–1419. CrossRef
- Yamamoto Y, Morimoto Y, Fujigaki M (2007) Two-directional phase-shifting Moiré interferometry and its application to thermal deformation measurement of an electronic device. Meas Sci Technol 18:561–566. CrossRef
- Loewen EG, Popov E (1997) Diffraction gratings and applications. Marcel Dekker, New York.
- Liu H (2003) Phase reconstruction of phase shifted moiré interferograms using continuous wavelet transforms. State University of New York at Buffalo, New York, USA.
- Liu H, Cartwright AN, Basaran C (2004) Experimental verification of improvement of phase shifting Moiré interferometry using wavelet-based image processing. Opt Eng 43:1206–1214. CrossRef
- Sciammarella CA, Taeeeui K (2003) Determination of strains from fringe patterns using space-frequency representations. Opt Eng 42:3182–3193. CrossRef
- Cordero RR, Molimard J, Martinez A, Labbe F (2007) Uncertainty analysis of temporal phase-stepping algorithms for interferometry. Opt Commun 275:144–155. CrossRef
- Guo H, Zhao Z, Chen M (2007) Efficient iterative algorithm for phase-shifting interferometry. Opt Lasers Eng 45:281–292. CrossRef
- Liu H, Cartwright AN, Basaran C (2004) Moiré interferogram phase extraction: A ridge detection algorithm for continuous wavelet transforms. Appl Opt 43:850–857. CrossRef
- Watkins LR (2007) Phase recovery from fringe patterns using the continuous wavelet transform. Opt Lasers Eng 45:298–303. CrossRef
- Sciammarella CA, Kim T (2005) Frequency modulation interpretation of fringes and computation of strains. Exp Mech V45:393–403. CrossRef
- Afifi M, Fassi-Fihri A, Marjane M, Nassim K, Sidki M, Rachafi S (2002) Paul wavelet-based algorithm for optical phase distribution evaluation. Opt Commun 211:47–51. CrossRef
- Vetterli M, Kovacevic J (1995) Wavelets and subband coding. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 07632.
- Zhao Y (2001) Thermomechanical behavior of ball grid array solder joints under thermal and vibration loading: testing and modeling. State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
- Han B, Post D, Ifju P (2001) Moiré interferometry for engineering mechanics: Current practices and future developments. J Strain Anal Eng Des 36:101–116. CrossRef
- Liu H, Cartwright AN, Basaran C (2003) Sensitivity improvement in phase-shifted moiré interferometry using 1-D continuous wavelet transform image processing. Opt Eng 42:2646–2652. CrossRef
- Han B, Post D (1992) Immersion interferometer for microscopic moiré interferometry. Exp Mech 32:38–41. CrossRef
- Liou NS, Prakash V (2000) Moiré microscope for finite deformation micro-mechanical studies. Exp Mech 40:351–360. CrossRef
- Hua Y, Basaran C, Hopkins D (2003) Thermomigration in Pb–Sn solder joints under joule heating during electric current stressing. Appl Phys Lett 82:1045–1047. CrossRef
- Automatic Full Strain Field Moiré Interferometry Measurement with Nano-scale Resolution
Volume 48, Issue 5 , pp 665-673
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Automatic Moiré interferometry
- Electronic packaging
- Solder joint reliability
- Phase shifting
- Continuous wavelet transform
- Industry Sectors