Measurement of Deformation by Means of Correlation of Speckle Fields
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper includes the description of non-contact measurement of object deformation by means of correlation of speckle fields. This optical method uses statistical properties of speckle patterns for the detection of the components of the small deformation tensor of an elementary area of a surface of an object under investigation. The theoretical background of this method is briefly described and important equations are mentioned. Suitable experimental set-ups for measurement of specific elongation ɛ xx are introduced and their advantages are discussed. Concrete example of measurement, where the investigated object is a specimen of rubber commonly used in tire making industry, is presented including achieved results.
- Durelli AJ, Parks VJ (1970) Moiré analysis of strain. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Dubas M, Schumann W (1974) On the holographic determination of the deformation at the surface of a non-transparent body. Opt Acta 21:547–562.
- Dubas M, Schumann W (1975) On direct measurements of strain and rotation in holographic interferometry using the line of complete localization. Opt Acta 22:807–819.
- Françon M (1979) Laser speckle and application in optics. Academic, New York.
- Sirohi, RS (1993) Speckle metrology. Academic, New York.
- Jones R, Wykes C (1989) Holographic and speckle interferometry, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Bristol.
- Rastogi PK (ed) (2001) Digital speckle pattern interferometry and related techniques. Wiley, Chichester.
- Sjödahl M (1998) Some recent advances in electronic speckle photography. Opt Lasers Eng 29:125–144. CrossRef
- Lanza di Scalea F, Hong SS, Cloud GL (1998) Whole-field strain measurement in a pin-loaded plate by electronic speckle pattern interferometry and the finite element method. Exp Mech 38:55–60. CrossRef
- Peters WH, Ranson WF (1982) Digital imaging techniques in experimental stress analysis. Opt Eng 21:427–431.
- Cheng P, Sutton MA, Schreier HW, McNeill SR (2002) Full-field speckle pattern image correlation with B-spline deformation function. Exp Mech 42:344–352. CrossRef
- Zhang D, Zhang X, Cheng G (1999) Compression strain measurement by digital speckle correlation. Exp Mech 39:62–65. CrossRef
- Anwander M, Zagar BG, Weis B, Weiss H (2000) Noncontacting strain measurements at high temperatures by the digital laser speckle techniques. Exp Mech 40:98–105. CrossRef
- Amodio D, Broggiato GB, Campana F, Newaz GM (2003) Digital speckle correlation for strain measurement by image analysis. Exp Mech 43:396–402. CrossRef
- Chen DJ, Chiang FP (1992) Optimal sampling and range of measurement in displacement-only laser-speckle correlation. Exp Mech 32:145–153. CrossRef
- Yamaguchi I (1981) Speckle displacement and decorrelation in the diffraction and image fields for small object deformation. Opt Acta 28:1359–1376.
- Horváth P, Hrabovský M, Šmíd P (2004) Full theory of speckle displacement and decorrelation in the image field by wave and geometrical descriptions and its application in mechanics. J Mod Opt 51:725–742. CrossRef
- Okrouhlík M (ed) (1995) Implementation of nonlinear continuum mechanics in finite element codes. Inst. of Thermomechanics, Acad. Sci. CR, Prague.
- Goodman JW (1968) Introduction to Fourier optics. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Saleh BEA, Teich MC (1991) Fundamentals of photonics. Wiley, New York.
- Hrabovský M, Bača Z, Horváth P (2000) Theory of speckle displacement and decorrelation and its application in mechanics. Opt Lasers Eng 32:395–403. CrossRef
- Horváth P, Hrabovský M, Šmíd P (2004) Application of speckle decorrelation method for small translation measurements. Opt Appl 34:203–218.
- Rabinovich SG (2000) Measurement errors and uncertainties. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York.
- Yamaguchi I, Kobayashi K, Kuwashima S (1989) A stabilized laser speckle strain gauge. In: Stanley P (ed) Stress and vibration: recent developments in industrial measurement and analysis. Proc. SPIE 1084, pp 45–52.
- Yamaguchi I, Takemori T, Kobayashi K (1993) Stabilized and accelerated speckle strain gauge. Opt Eng 32:618–625. CrossRef
- Beer FP, Johanson ER (1981) Mechanics of materials. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Measurement of Deformation by Means of Correlation of Speckle Fields
Volume 46, Issue 6 , pp 713-723
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Speckle correlation
- Specific elongation
- Non-contact measurement
- Industry Sectors