Mixed-Mode Dynamic Crack Growth in Functionally Graded Glass-Filled Epoxy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Compositionally graded glass-filled epoxy sheets with edge cracks initially along the gradient are studied under dynamic loading conditions. Specimens with monotonically varying volume fraction of reinforcement are subjected to mixed-mode loading by eccentric impact relative to the crack plane. The optical method of Coherent Gradient Sensing and high-speed photography are used to map transient crack tip deformations before and after crack initiation. Two configurations, one with a crack on the stiffer side of a graded sheet and the second with a crack on the compliant side, are examined experimentally. To elucidate the differences in fracture behavior due to functional grading, a homogeneous sample is also tested. The differences in both pre- and post-crack initiation behaviors are observed interms of crack initiation time, crack path, crack speed and stress intensity factor histories. When a crack is situated on the compliant side of the sample, it kinks significantly less compared to when it is on the stiffer side. Crack tip mode mixity histories show small but positive values during crack growth from the stiffer side of the sample towards the compliant side whereas a small but negative mode mixity prevails for the opposite configuration.
- Delale F, Erdogan F (1983) The crack problem for a non-homogeneous plane. ASME J Appl Mech 50:609–614.
- Eischen JW (1987) Fracture of non-homogeneous materials. Int J Fract 34:3–22.
- Jin ZH, Batra RC (1996) Some basic fracture mechanics concepts in functionally graded materials. J Mech Phys Solids 44(8):1221–1235. CrossRef
- Gu P, Asaro RJ (1997) Cracks in functionally graded materials. Int J Solids Struct 34(1):1–17. CrossRef
- Parameswaran V, Shukla A (1999) Crack tip stress fields for dynamic fracture in functionally graded materials. Mech Mater 31:579–596. CrossRef
- Chalivendra V, Shukla A (2005) Transient elastodynamic crack growth in functionally graded materials. J Appl Mech 72:237–248. CrossRef
- Rousseau CE, Tippur HV (2001) Influence of elastic gradient profiles on dynamically loaded functionally graded materials: cracks along the gradient. Int J Solids Struct 38:7839–7856. CrossRef
- Rousseau CE, Tippur HV (2002) Evaluation of crack tip fields and stress intensity factors in functionally graded elastic materials: cracks parallel to elastic gradient. Int J Fract 114:87–111. CrossRef
- Rousseau CE, Tippur HV (2001) Dynamic fracture of compositionally graded materials with cracks along the elastic gradient experiments and analysis. Mech Mater 33:403–421. CrossRef
- Kirugulige MS, Kitey R, Tippur HV (2004) Dynamic fracture behavior of model sandwich structures with functionally graded core; a feasibility study. Compos Sci Technol 65:1052–1068. CrossRef
- Wang W, Nakamura T (2004) Simulations of crack propagation in elastic–plastic graded materials. Mech Mater 36:601–622. CrossRef
- Kim JH, Paulino GH (2004) Simulation of crack propagation in functionally graded materials under mixed mode and non-proportional loading. Int J Mech Mater Des 1:63–94. CrossRef
- Ramaswamy S, Tippur HV, Xu L (1993) Mixed mode crack tip deformations studied using a modified flexural specimen and Coherent Gradient Sensing. Exp Mech 33:218–227. CrossRef
- Lee H, Krishnaswamy S (2000) Quasi-static propagation of sub interfacial cracks. ASME J Appl Mech 67:444–452.
- Mason JJ, Lambros J, Rosakis AJ (1992) The use of a coherent gradient sensor in dynamic mixed-mode fracture mechanics experiments. J Mech Phys Solids 40(3):641–661. CrossRef
- Prabhu S, Lambros J (2000) A combination optical method of lateral shearing interferometry and Caustics. Exp Mech 40(4):376–383. CrossRef
- Madhusudhana KS, Narasimhan R (2002) Experimental and numerical investigations of mixed-mode crack growth resistance of a ductile adhesive joint. Eng Fract Mech 69:865–883. CrossRef
- Butcher RJ, Rousseau CE, Tippur HV (1998) A functionally graded particulate composite: preparation, measurements and failure analysis. Acta Mater 47(1):259–268. CrossRef
- Rousseau CE, Tippur HV (2000) Compositionally graded materials with cracks normal to the elastic gradient. Acta Mater 48:4021–4033. CrossRef
- Marur PR, Tippur HV (2000) Dynamic response of bi-material and graded interface cracks under impact loading. Int J Fract 114:87–111.
- Dally JW, Sanford RJ (1987) Strain gage methods for measuring the opening mode stress intensity factor, KI. Exp Mech 49:381–388. CrossRef
- Maleski MJ, Kirugulige MS, Tippur HV (2004) A method for measuring mode-I crack tip constraint under static and dynamic loading conditions. Exp Mech 44(5):522–532. CrossRef
- Tippur HV, Krishnaswamy S, Rosakis AJ (1991) Optical mapping of crack tip deformations using the methods of transmission and reflection Coherent Gradient Sensing: a study of crack tip K-dominance. Int J Fract 52:91–117.
- Williams ML (1959). J Appl Mech 24:109–114.
- Sanford RJ (1989) Determining fracture parameters with full-field optical methods. Exp Mech 29:241–247. CrossRef
- Erdogan F, Sih GC (1963) On the crack extension in plates under plane loading and transverse shear. J Basic Eng-Trans ASME 85D(4):519–525.
- Mixed-Mode Dynamic Crack Growth in Functionally Graded Glass-Filled Epoxy
Volume 46, Issue 2 , pp 269-281
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Dynamic fracture
- Functionally graded materials
- Coherent Gradient Sensing
- Mixed-mode fracture
- Crack path selection
- Industry Sectors