Sleep and Breathing

, Volume 14, Issue 1, pp 25–32

Home diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnoea in coronary patients: validity of a simplified device automated analysis

Authors

  • Carole Planès
    • Service d’Explorations Fonctionnelles MultidisciplinaireHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
  • Michel Leroy
    • Service d’Explorations Fonctionnelles MultidisciplinaireHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
  • Najette Bouach Khalil
    • Service d’Explorations Fonctionnelles MultidisciplinaireHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
  • Rami El Mahmoud
    • Service de CardiologieHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
  • Franck Digne
    • Service de CardiologieHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
  • Florence de Roquefeuil
    • Service de CardiologieHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
    • Service d’Explorations Fonctionnelles MultidisciplinaireHospital Ambroise Paré, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Université de Versailles
Original Article

DOI: 10.1007/s11325-009-0275-1

Cite this article as:
Planès, C., Leroy, M., Bouach Khalil, N. et al. Sleep Breath (2010) 14: 25. doi:10.1007/s11325-009-0275-1

Abstract

Introduction

Our aim was to evaluate a type 3 portable simplified device as a screening tool for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) in coronary patients.

Materials and methods

In 50 patients selected independently from sleep complaints, we compared the number of respiratory events per hour of valid recording time counted automatically by the device and the number counted manually per hour of sleep on polysomnography performed at home during the same night.

Results

Five patients were excluded because of technical failures. Estimated OSA prevalences (95% confidence interval) for apnoea/hypopnoea index (AHI) cut-offs ≥5, ≥15, and ≥30 by polysomnography were 0.93 (0.81–0.98), 0.69 (0.53–0.81), and 0.27 (0.15–0.42), respectively. The device would have correctly diagnosed 75% of patients with severe OSA (AHI ≥30 by polysomnography) and would have classified the remaining 25% as having moderate OSA.

Discussion

This ambulatory device may prove valuable in reducing the costs of diagnosing and managing OSA in coronary patients.

Keywords

Coronary artery diseaseObstructive sleep apnoeaAmbulatory diagnosis

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2009